Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On a Rhino where do you measure from for the included storm bolter?

Also, on a Vindicator where do you measure from for it.

I know on both vehicles that you can purchase an ADDITIONAL pintel mounted storm bolter.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
I always measure from the barrel for vehicles.

Yeah longer turret Leam Russ variants poke out over your deployment zone and you can squeeze an extra half inch...

only fuckwits argue over half inches.
I Stand corrected by ItsPut :p

What if you don't purchase any weapons on the Rhino? Just choose the hatch?
Well... I think if you mean where do you measure form when referring to the units inside that can shoot they yes, the large hatch is where you measure from. :victory:

If you are talking about the bolter that comes stock on a CSM rhino or the storm bolter that is stock on SM rhinos then you measure from the little hatches closer to the front of the rhino.

no gun = no shooty

I'm fairly relaxed when i play, but I'll be danmned if you're shooting invisible guns at me

I for one NEVER put the bolters on my rhinos any more they always break off in some way shape or form and it pisses me off. I mean if your shooting a LC and there is no LC on the top of your Pread that is different. In that instance I agree with you 100% they are for sure S.O.L. :drinks:

Cheers,
Chaosftw

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Measuring from the end of the barrel is correct, see page 56 vehicles and measuring distances, second paragraph

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry for the lack of clarity in my question.

Eh? Whats the stats line for a Rhino hatch thrown like a giant frisbee?
It is was the only thing that made even a semblance of reason, but yeah I just threw it out there. I am at a loss.

I know that the Rhino and Vindicator comes with a Storm Bolter as standard Wargear, (SM codex pg 135, and 143), in addition you may take ANOTHER weapon.

no gun = no shooty

I'm fairly relaxed when i play, but I'll be danmned if you're shooting invisible guns at me
Since there isn't an actual Storm Bolter modeled on the Vehicles I am needing to know where to measure from. Its not that I'm trying to Shoot invisible guns.

A good example for everyone following the thread. A Vindicator has a Demolisher Cannon, and a Storm Bolter by standard wargear. It also has the option to purchase a Storm Bolter. Where are they located? I know the upgrade is a pintle mounted Storm Bolter.

To date I've never used the included Storm Bolter in game because I didn't know from where to measure.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
I have used the only gun I have on the vindicator ... the big one. When questioned about it I said " See all the storm bolter holes circling the Demolisher cannon hole?" Seeing as they do not give you a hull mounted storm bolter and it is a piece of wargear that is NOT an option few people would argue this point. You can put a second storm bolter on as a choice but it is pintle-mounted. That was agreeable to the shop I play at so its all good.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
I usually never buy extra weapons on my vehicles.

Rhinos: NEVER... their job is to Block LoS, Mobilize troops, not to sit and shoot havok launchers :p

Vindicators: Their purpose is that Big template that can only be fired if you move 6' or less. So any more weapons make it inefficient and cost heavy.

Predators: I typically just stick with the main 360 Deg. weapon on top and thats it. Same reason as above, if you need to move to re position the extra weapons are just wasted points.

If the reasons above don't sell you on not purchasing more weapons on your vehicles then how about this one. Warhammer is a game of heavy weapons to a point, and the worst is that tank that you loaded full of extras can get poped by a 10 point melta.

Chaosftw

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
" See all the storm bolter holes circling the Demolisher cannon hole?"
I really like that. That'll work well for me. I'll just run my Rhino with just one pintol mounted gun and say that's the free one (I only don't use it as a Razorback when I'm points shy), and now I have a reason to be able to use the storm bolter and an upgrade for the Vindicators.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Vindicators: Their purpose is that Big template that can only be fired if you move 6' or less. So any more weapons make it inefficient and cost heavy.
That is very true, but sometimes you end up with 10 extra points, and a Hunter Killer missle, or an additional weapon is nice. Also, you have a defensive weapon by default in the vindicator for when models are too close to use the huge blast template.

The Storm Bolter's in a pretty clear spot, and it seems to be on a little pivot, so it's not Hull-mounted, and should be easy to magnetise (to stop it breaking off)
Yeah I could just use both top hull ports on the front of the Rhino for the Storm Bolters.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Seeing as they do not give you a hull mounted storm bolter and it is a piece of wargear that is NOT an option few people would argue this point.
Where does it state that the storm bolter on a vindicator is hull mounted?
See page 103 in the C:SM, vehicle armoury. It states that all storm bolters on a vehicle are pintle mounted.

If you have a vehicle that has a weapon you measure distance and LOS from it's barrel as previously stated.

If you have not modeled the weapon on the actual model, then you need to specify before the game were you are counting it as being mounted and were you will be measuring LOS and distance from. This has to be within the rules for the weapon and its stated mounting type. So, you cannot use the demolisher cannon to also represent the storm bolter as it isn't pintle mounted and cannot represent a pintle mount in any way.

The traditional mounting point for a bolter (combi/storm/twin linked) is the front top round cupola's on a rhino chassis. For a land raider it is one of the two center mounted cupola's on the top of the model.
In this configuration they have a 360 degree fire arc unless another piece of equipment on the vehicle or the vehicle itself blocks its LOS. Again, measurements and LOS are drawn down the barrel.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Where does it state that the storm bolter on a vindicator is hull mounted?
See page 103 in the C:SM, vehicle armoury. It states that all storm bolters on a vehicle are pintle mounted.

If you have a vehicle that has a weapon you measure distance and LOS from it's barrel as previously stated.

If you have not modeled the weapon on the actual model, then you need to specify before the game were you are counting it as being mounted and were you will be measuring LOS and distance from.

The traditional mounting point for a bolter (combi/storm/twin linked) is the front top round cupola's on a rhino chassis. For a land raider it is one of the two center mounted cupola's on the top of the model.
In this configuration they have a 360 degree fire arc unless another piece of equipment on the vehicle or the vehicle itself blocks its LOS. Again, measurements and LOS are drawn down the barrel.
First off, could you quote WHERE on page 103 it says that?
I can't see it.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA.../m1252439_99120101017_SMRhinomain_873x627.jpg
And the location of the Storm Bolter is pretty clear there, it's next to the hatch (I don't know what cupola refers to, to be honest).

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
First off, could you quote WHERE on page 103 it says that?
I can't see it.
Sure.

Look at any entry for any vehicle that has or can have a storm bolter. Notice how it doesn't state anything other than "storm bolter?" For the weapons definition you would need to refer to the listing for the proper rules.

Seeing as we are dealing with vehicle mounted storm bolters in the C:SM, the listing for the weapon is in the armoury on page 103. We are not dealing with a weapon listing for an infantry model so we do not use the listing in the normal wargear section, we use the listings for vehicles.

Page 103: STORM BOLTER: "Pintle mounted storm bolters are weapons fitted to space marine vehicles to provide extra support..."

If it ("it" being a storm bolter) is on a vehicle, it is pintle mounted.

And the location of the Storm Bolter is pretty clear there, it's next to the hatch (I don't know what cupola refers to, to be honest).
A cupola is the round "hatch" as you put it. A rhino has two cupola's and a top hatch. The top hatch in the rule books is referring to the large, rectangular dual doors on the top rear of the model. That is were you measure for transported troops firing out of the transport.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A question for you Unforgiven302. Where would you put 2 different storm bolters on a Vindicator as this is clearly an option since one is standard wargear and the other is an upgrade option.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I have to correct myself. If you look at page 59 in the BRB, the fourth bullet point it says that a pintle mounted weapon can be either "turret" or "hull mounted." Those round, dome things on a rhino chassis and land raiders are labeled as a turret.

Turret mount is 360 degrees of fire were hull mounted is only 45 degrees.

A question for you Unforgiven302. Where would you put 2 different storm bolters on a Vindicator as this is clearly an option since one is standard wargear and the other is an upgrade option.
One could be in the traditional top "turret" and the other could be modeled as a hull mount. Personally, I would use my bits box and rig up a type of mount to put the second one somewhere on top of the model. Sometimes you need to be creative...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts