Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick question for you guys. My rhinos are transports, they bring my berzerkers to the fight and I really don't have any desire to shoot any guns from them but is it worth paying that extra 5 points just to make sure you can't be immobilized on a roll of a 3?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I usually go with a combi-melta to make up for berserkers lack of a special weapon (and also the protection from immobilize). Berserkers, unlike plague marines, really need to make it into combat to survive/be useful, so I also give their rhino EA. It's really a debatable upgrade. Some people swear that combi-bolters are an absolute necessity, others are happy to leave them at home.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I personally love the extra (COMBI-BOLTER!), but that just cause my enemies suck at out and out destroying my rhinos. Hence I find the extra bolter is really useful, especially since my last game where they forced 2 more wounds on a weakened fire warrior team winning me the game. I look at it this way for 5pts you can get the equivalent of a marines worth of bolter fire on a vhicles. I mean its rarely a game winner, but its only 5pts to outfit vhicles and can pay of if you use 5 rhinos's like I do. (Note: If you take a combi-weapon on a rhino, it does not replace the bolter so you actually get two weapons for 10pts).

Still I strongly wouldn't recommend any other upgrades including AE, since I have found they rarely if ever make back their points when on rhinos (And I have played mech CSM for 5 years). However if your just concerned about guaranteeing the berzerkers rhino makes it have a cheap squad in rhino (or a empty one) literally screen the berzerkers rhino. I mean its a extra 35 pts, but if done properly can make their rhino more resilient than a land raider (However the effectiveness of this depends on the terrain on the field, and your enemy (Note if you hug the rhinos together, and the enemy try's to shoot the rhino behind from a elevated position you will get a 3+ cover save since they can't see any of the true sidings of the vehicle (Just food for thought).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts