Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hail, Heretics.

I've got a question for you all. In a tournament at my FLGS a month ago, I faced off against an Eldar player fielding a Wraithknight. The Wraithknight charged my two Devastator squads hiding in a three-story ruin. With his Stomp attack, he placed the template over the top level, and then claimed it hit everything underneath, visible or not, down to the tabletop. So my conundrum is in two parts: A: was it legal for him to do his Stomp all the way on the top floor, and B: would it really hit everything underneath, or just the visible models like other blast markers?

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Did a little looking into this not too sure, how this functions. did a little looking into the stomp rules it doesn't mention anything into the like of the stomping though out buildings, looked a little into blast rules again, as the old rules for barrage used to only hit the top, and flamers would only hit one level only.

so unless there is some kind of fluff based reasoning for their foot plunging through the levels (or a FAQ), i think that was a little cheaty.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Sounds ungentlemanly of him. Blasts do hit all levels now, but i agree that a stomp attack should not be treated the same way.

Make him roll a dice and on a 1-3 he gets his foot stuck, and any further hits to him count as instant death thanks to the exposed vitals!

·
Thordis
2,442 Posts
Sounds ungentlemanly of him. Blasts do hit all levels now, but i agree that a stomp attack should not be treated the same way.

Make him roll a dice and on a 1-3 he gets his foot stuck, and any further hits to him count as instant death thanks to the exposed vitals!
could you quote me the page number of the BRB that says that ? I've been looking for blast templates in buildings/ruins to no avail xd.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
You are right, details are light on in that regard. I believe it's been read, in the absence of anything to the contrary, in para 3 of the blast rule on page 158, where you look down on the blast marker from above and any models wholly or partially covered are hit.

Since this only applies to ruins, I'm guessing you could rationalise this by talking about shrapnel and secondary blast effects on troopers over different floors. So far as the stomp goes... well, same I guess.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Random thought I just noticed, you said wraith knight? Can they stomp? Or do you mean the eldar titan the phantom or whichever its called?
It is a Gargantual Creature? Is it within their rules to stomp? Don't have my rulebook on my atm. The whole thing sounds iffy though. Stomp everything through three floors? This should be FaQed.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Last edition had rules for blasts and templates hitting different levels--for some reason, this edition neglects to mention what you do in that case, so we're left with "anything under the template" as the wording we're going by.

Unless the tourney you were attending was using the ITC FAQ, in which case blast markers work like last edition all over again. But then again, I think the ITC is mostly a US organization, so it seems unlikely your FLGS would have been abiding by it.

Sorry, I hate to say it, but--you may have been up a creek without a paddle. RAW, he was in the right, and multi-storey ruins aren't a safe place to deploy. It's a shitty situation, all told.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
multi-storey ruins aren't a safe place to deploy.
In my group, we play the RAW but the interpretation is that anyone shielded from view by, say, flooring, is safe. We figure that the cover is hypothetical anyway, so even if you shot at a model visible through a window, it's reasonable to assume that the blast would wreak all sorts of havoc throughout the structure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I feel that rules as written, he could technically do that, but logically you can't stomp all the way through a building almost as tall as your unit is. This particular opponent seems to be the 'that guy' of our FLGS, fielding a Wraithknight, flyer, and Eldrad Ulthran in a 1500 point friendly tourney 8P

(Latest Eldar codex made them Gargantuan, so yes, they can stomp)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Technically, only a barrage hits every level, as it has wording to the effect that it ignores line of sight. Normal blasts do not, and Stomps aren't barrages. I would say your opponent was mistaken.

SJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.