Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my first unit of Sternguard in my list and I am excited to try them out. I am rocking 9 in a Drop Pod and the only additional gear is 2 Heavy Flamers. (I love my templates, and the image in my head of a wall of white fire between a drop pod that wasn't there a second ago and the enemies now liquid face is just awesome). So what are some of the better tactics you guys have used, I am not willing to utilize the 'suicide' combimelta tactics, in fact I think the combi-weapons take away from the Sternguards best ability, the ammo.
Also, what are some of the greatest moments you're Sternguard have had throughout you gaming career?

·
Registered
90 Posts
My friend is a salamanders player who uses his sternguard like so:

Sternguard (x10)
-Drop Pod
-8x Combi flamers
-2x Heavy flamers

Drops in the middle of enemy deployment zone, combat squad, and then burn everything. The re-rolls to wound are killer. If he takes Vulkan he will split it 50:50 flamer and melta.

I can see your point of view about combi weapons, but it is damn helpful to have them. Number of times a maundering dreadnought has been halted by my sternguards combi-melta. I myself do not run them that often very more purely due to points issues, trying to fit everything in is a nightmare.

However, when I do use them I have been using the scout rule to outflank my raven guard Sternguard. Usually moving straight into cover and start harassing the enemy flanks while the rest of my list piles into the middle. Doesn't have the surprise factor of a drop pod and can be a little too random for my liking but provides a nice way to clear a flank

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Guy in our group runs unbound with sterngaurd, with Padro in order for them to secure objectives, with three Vindicators and a melta land speeder squadron.

ya, just as bloody painfully as it sounds let me tell you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just the other day I used my 9 man group with the 2 heavy flamers. I dropped in behind my two opponents (Tyranids and 'infected' Guardsmen). Turn 1 I smoked the first enemy's warlord Hive Tyrant (before it could start flying) with my poisoned rounds, and the flamers also managed to kill off a heavy weapons platform. Turn 2 I turned 180 and burninated the Guardsmen command squad, killing all of them except his warlord with the heavy flamers, who then died to my 'ignores cover' rapid fire volley. So in 2 turns I killed a Hive Tyrant and a Command Squad, earning 2 victory points (both 'Slay the Warlord's (at least that's how we played IDK the actual rule)). So I believe these vets have earned a paint job :victory:

·
Registered
199 Posts
So just the other day I used my 9 man group with the 2 heavy flamers. I dropped in behind my two opponents (Tyranids and 'infected' Guardsmen). Turn 1 I smoked the first enemy's warlord Hive Tyrant (before it could start flying) with my poisoned rounds, and the flamers also managed to kill off a heavy weapons platform. Turn 2 I turned 180 and burninated the Guardsmen command squad, killing all of them except his warlord with the heavy flamers, who then died to my 'ignores cover' rapid fire volley. So in 2 turns I killed a Hive Tyrant and a Command Squad, earning 2 victory points (both 'Slay the Warlord's (at least that's how we played IDK the actual rule)). So I believe these vets have earned a paint job :victory:
I think they definetely earned a paint job - great going. I trust you won the battle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:angry: You'd think, but the combination of a Hellhammer (whatever it's called (TL, S10, AP1, Ignores Cover, Large Blast, Baneblade EQ)) and a Knight Titan wiped me from the table... Also, bad luck with Maelstorm objective cards. Don't get me wrong, I've had some great Maelstorm battles, but I've also gotten really lucky sometimes... I just prefer the known objectives because it always seems a bit more even.

I complain, but the battle was still a FANTASTIC one... :biggrin:

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Personally I run a squad of 10 in a pod no upgrades. Memorable moments was dropping in an obliterating a havok squad manning a quad gun. Later using said quad gun to down his heldrake and be a general nuisance in his deployment zone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That'll show those chaos bastards, bringing guns to their own knife fight... :so_happy:

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I'm unclear why you're stating Combi Weapons are a problem? Toting a Combi doesn't prevent them from using any of the special issue ammo they come with. In fact, its probably the best piece of equipment a Sternguard has in his arsenal.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
For me the combi weapons are an expensive 1 shot upgrade as you already pay a premium for the special ammo in the unit as it is. The only one I'd consider is the combi melta but since I run IF tactics I already have 4 tank hunter lascannons devs. The only othrr option I'd run is two lascannons with Pedro for OS secured quasi devs. Some people like combis on sternguard I am not one of them

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
To me, Sternguard are a Swiss Army Knife of a unit and the Combi just improves on that. I've taken units without Combi weapons and somewhat regretted it during certain games. Are 10 points for a one shot special weapon worth it? Indeterminable due to dependence on the situation at hand. Sounds ganky but its true.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's 10 points for 1, and no one takes 1 combi-melta since that would effectively waste the squad's shooting for one turn. So people take closer to 5 so you can combat squad and shoot one group into a tank. So it's practically a 50 point one shot gun that has the 'rape vehicle' special rule. (Results can be great if you stay alive, but like someone else mentioned, I also run tank hunting devastators)

The last game I played I flamed a battlewagon from the rear armour and made it kaboomed. The unit failed a leadership and was pinned. Then I proceeded to assault the 10 Flash Gitz with their Warboss and Mekboy and made them flee which I followed with my sweeping advance. Real lucky, I know, but still awesome... I won that game :good:

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
To me, Sternguard are a Swiss Army Knife of a unit and the Combi just improves on that. I've taken units without Combi weapons and somewhat regretted it during certain games. Are 10 points for a one shot special weapon worth it? Indeterminable due to dependence on the situation at hand. Sounds ganky but its true.
I see what you're saying and agree that they are indeed a Swiss army knife unit and to combi or not to combi depends on the rest of your list. For me its all about the dragonfire, hellfire and vengeance rounds. Not had many games so far where I wished I had combi meltas in the unit

·
Registered
90 Posts
The last game I played I flamed a battlewagon from the rear armour and made it kaboomed. The unit failed a leadership and was pinned. Then I proceeded to assault the 10 Flash Gitz with their Warboss and Mekboy and made them flee which I followed with my sweeping advance. Real lucky, I know, but still awesome... I won that game :good:
Sounds like a great moment!
One thing though, isn't the battle-wagon open topped? If so, templates can now hurt models embarked in an opentopped vehicle. Cannot remember the page number off the top of my head but that rule hurts. Had to retire my scouts and storm when facing my salamander buddy, nothing survives the flames :D

As has been said, everyone has their own way to field the unit. There isn't a wrong way as such, so long as you're happy with the results that's good enough!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe with 2 Heavy Flamers it was 2d6 hits, which I totally wiffed on. In the end it didn't matter though :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

I was looking for some advice for equipping a 10 man sternguard squad for my ultramarines - I have just bought the new sternquard set and also have the older finecast sternquard weapons set.

One option I saw was for 10 men, 2 heavy flamers, (3 combi-flamers) and 5 combi-meltas to be used in a drop pod and use as 2 x 5 man combat squads?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.