Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I am a new hobbyist, a REALLY new painter, I haven't even learnt about washes and highlights. But I thought I'd give DIY SM a try.

here's the WIP model using only a standard brush ( I know, excuses, excuses)

In reality, the blue is darker.

Fluff

The Stellar guardians were formed at the start of the great crusade in secret. A small 21st legion. They were ordered by the Emperor to stay on their fleet, making planet falls only when their battle-brothers absolutely needed them. They were the guardian angels, and when Horus betroyed the Emperor for the dark gods, the Stellar Guardians sent their entire chapter towards Terra. Unfortunently, they were held back by their traitorous brothers.

To this day, the Stellar Guardians' fleet is in motion, always heading to where they are needed, always helping those loyal to the Emperor. They still remain a secret, known only to the Emperor, and those who the chapter have saved.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice chapter name mate, though i think the fluff may need revising and the 20 chapters of the day are already documented.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think this could get really awesome. But I'd like to give you a few tips:

When you're going to paint gold (a horrible colour, imo) paint it over a mithril silver base and make sure you've stirred with a clean toothpick (or something) through the gold paint. It tends to get an oily like surface after a while and that makes it harder to get an even coat.

There are some golden spills on the mini. These can easily be removed by just covering them up with blue again.

Don't go for a single thick coat, but use 3, maybe 4, thinner coats to get a nicer finish.

Washes are pretty simple to use: you just paint it all over the mini and it'll automatically concentrate in the crevices and stuff, leaving just a slightly darker coat on the plating itself and making the recesses darker. My advise: buy yourself a pot of Badab Black and just try it on a mini. That'll make him look less flat

I think you're using an auto focus camera. And the camera has focussed on the news-paper which your mini stands on. Try using a white sheet of paper, and make it stand up a little. Like this:
with the camera being on the right side of the picture! to get a result like this:

As you can see, this'll create a neater background, with less distractions. This one was made with a plate of plasticard instead of paper, with paper you'll get less weird shadows in the background! But I didn't have a better example atm.

atm I think these tips'll help you forward a little. I hope I've been clear with what I meant. If not: just post your question or what wasn't clear ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
a 21st legion ech?, :shok:, well well this could add an intresting dynamic to the Storys :D
So these dudes are like the equvilent of the Emperors secret police/special forces

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bloodthirster: Thanks for the tips. I'll be going to my local GW(1 hour away) over school holli's in a week and I'll hopefully buy some paints then.
nocturnalK: That's pretty much right. I consider them more like humanities guardian angels.
I got a few better pics.

both are WIPs.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The Captain is a MASSIVE improvement over your first model. I don't like your '21st legion' idea or the fact that your paint scheme is Ultramarines with different symbol but none the less they are good for your first few models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts