Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>> This is probably shite, but I came up wi the fluff for my own chapter, The Steel Lions.

>> The Lions are a 23rd founding chapter, though what gene seed was used is unknown, though some think possibly Imperial Fist. The Lions mainly move around near the Maelstrom, their homeworld being near that of the White Scars. They have close ties with the Ordo Hereticus, as they see witches as the worst insult to His word imaginable.

>> The chapter is extremely pious, being led only by Chaplains. They have no Commanders/captains, and obviously no librarians. The chapter is led by High Chaplain Verenus Arkonan, and chapter deeds are recorded by the other chaplains. Verenus is known to ritually chastise himself, as a sign of his devotion. His back is a maze of scar tissue. This is common throughout the chapter, from veteran to scout.

>> The chaplains carry the Crozius as a badge of office only, preferring to use thunder hammers to kill their enemies. This can be seen throughout the Lions, as all veterans, including veteran sergeants carry a thunder hammer.

>> The Lions have no speeders or bikes, preferring to engage the enemy with rhino and razorbacks assaults, which are usually led by Verenus in his personal razorback, which is fitted with twin-linked multi meltas.

>> So what do people tghink so far? Please don't be to hard on me. :D

>> The 1st Company do not use terminator armour at all. They do acknowledge the uses of it. But their faith in the Emperor is so strong, that this is all they need. Only High Chaplain Arkonan has a siut of terminator armour, and this looks more like a shrine, covered in devotional scripture, and purityseals. He only ever wears his TDA when attending war councils.

>> Tactical squads have a tendancy towards using melta weaponry, ysually pairing melta guns and multi meltas in squads. Devestator heavy troopers use only multi-meltas, trusting the bolter armed bretheren to keep them safe when cloding with the enemy. Assault squads will use flamers out of nessesity. Scout units never carry bolt pistol/ ccw combos, prefering the use of sniper rifles.

>> The chapter colours are blazing orange with yellow trim, and the right kneepad is always yellow. Veterans wear yellow helmets, so as to distinguish them from the other men. All marines armour have devotional text insribed on their leg armour. Scouts wear yellow armour, with no markings anywhere, but will inscribe their rifles with text. The Lions tend to look down on the 'less' devoted of the chapters, unless they are 1st founding parent legions, holding them in high esteem, and they see it as an honour if they fight alongside any of them. They have a hatred of all traitor legions, but their hatred of the Word Bearers is more so.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
its... well... concise.

its fine as fluff goes, a good individual chapter thats not too nuts. i do think you could whip out a good story though..

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Its not bad as a starting place. You've set up some very good points and already balanced most of it out.

Keep on working on it, just extend it a little more and it'll be great.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>> Have added a bit more to my fluff. See original post. Any tips/ ideas to add would be appreciated.
:evil:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
You should expand on the maze of scar tissue on their backs.

Is that some ritual characteristic of the Chapter? Could make for another interesting focus for the fluff.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>> I have put that there is ritual chastisement throughout the chapter. Do you mean give a reason as to why they do this eg some kind of wrong they commited not long after their founding?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>> The Steel Lions practice ritual chastisement, though this was not the norm until 70yrs after their founding. Knowing that they were pious, and hated the witch above al else, Inquisitor Halbeck of the Ordo Hereticus requestec they acompany him to a planet where the governor and his council had been accused of witchcraft.
On arrival at the government building, Halbeck and his retinue of Sororitas entered, leaving Arkonan and his men to form a perimiter round the building. The locals who had gathered were loyal to the Emperor, and saw the Astartes and the Inquisitor as saviours. During the time Halbeck was inside, a large group of people approached, calling for the head of the governor. Veteran Orelious approached, telling the men to keep calm, that the Inquisitor would bring justice to them. This done nothing to quell the mob, there anger becoming more incessant. They tried to rush the marines as Orelious returned to his position, but one of the newer battle brothers opened fire,killing many of the group. High Chaplain Arkonan was enraged by this, especially when he saw that many of the dead wre priests. To kill a man who spread the Emperors word was a heresy of high magnitude in his eyes. Marching towards the marine, he looked into his eyes and snarled:
" You are a disgrace to your brothers, and to the Emperor. I will deal with you when we return home" The marine was taken back to a thunderhawk while the Inquisitor finished his business.

>> When home, the marine was executed, and every brother was told that to atone for the sin brought upon them, they must chastise themselves daily until the day they died. Every marine and scout was issued with a flail, with a metal hand attached to it. The fingers wre razor sharp, cutting through flesh with ease. The time of chastisement is when the marines are given 15 minutes rest time at the end of the day, but some chastise themselves more often, usually veterans and chaplains. Some marines from other 'less' devout chapters see this as the ultimate sacrifice of the body, but none know the truth.

>>( what do peeps think? Alright, or pretty shit? I can take it, im a big boy, and my worst critic). Cheers for any input.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Na its good man, could lead to some very interesting situations after a retreat in battle.

Its good to see somebody who doesn't mind causing his creations pain.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>> Have decided to build this army, as more hours at work= more wages. Anybody think the restrictions I have placed on squads eg melta weaponry only will cause me problems, or should I just bite the bullet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts