Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Cloying Quagmire actually just reads, "Remove target Steam Tank from the game." Since you can cast spells with up to six dice, you just miscast the thing and shrug when your sorcerer blows his own head off in the process. It sucks that it comes to that, but that's really just the simplest solution for the things out of Warriors of Chaos.

The other option Chaos can bring to the table which can deal with the steam tank decently is, oddly enough, the giant. I've seen other Chaos players have great success using a giant against steam tanks, and while I haven't given it a try myself, the numbers seem to work out so that the giant has a decent chance of dealing with it effectively. Between very likely hitting the thing with a club and thunderstomp, you'll be rolling enough dice to break the thing open (or at least render it ineffective-- you only need to get it down to five wounds or so to get it to stop being a useful weapon for the Empire player.) If you try to go that route, the Mark of Khorne is a must, purely for the extra point of strength it gives the giant.

If you're a gambler, the Hellcannon can also deal with a steam tank if it manages to get a shot to hit. You -will- make a wreck of the thing if it hits, but...making it hit is its own set of problems. That's sort of a third string defense against the steam tank, though, purely because it's unreliable to begin with, and you'll only get one shot before the steam tank barrels over it, or the Empire player shoots it with a cannon, etc.

The final option, which isn't strictly a Warriors of Chaos option, is to look into allied troops. At 3000 points and above, you can bring allied troops in your army, and interestingly enough, Skaven have some stuff which can more than make up any deficit you have in dealing with the steam tank. The Warpstone Cannon comes to mind, in particular, although Jezzails and Ratling Gun weapons teams also are quite workable against a steam tank because of their relatively high strength. Still looking for sixes to wound the thing, but with a stiff negative to the armor save, you'll see most of those sixes go through. Those aren't expensive allies to invest in, either.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts