Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Terra is the birth place of man kind and where it made all of its technology why are there no STCs on Terra and how did they forgett their knowlage.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well saying that they made all their technology on Terra is debatable as there is no direct evidence that the significant technological developments were all made on Terra (since we probably adapted or discovered more technological advancement from our meetings with other xenos species). That as well as due to the Age of Strife causing warp storms that more or less absolutely cut off planets from each other meant that xenos and daemonic incursions went off the charts. This likely includes Terra and therefore probably lost a significant portion of their tech during this time, due to all the chaos no one likely thought of preserving/protecting them. It's like if there is a gun pointed towards your head during a hostage situation the last thing you're going to think is if you're horny or hungry for tacos (no not horny for tacos, just hungry :laugh:) well unless you're like Homer, but that's besides the point. So overall due to all the chaos that ensued on earth and the wars/battles that ravaged the earth during this time much of the tech was lost in the end.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About not all tech being invented on terra. I think they would have sent back a large number of knolage about the tech back to terra. But i see your point.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well said, Grimskul.

I just figured I'd add this other note.

The STCs were sent out with the first expeditionary colonies, dating back to the first pre-warpspace travel colonies that travelled in stasis, or on recycled food for generations. These colonies had to be able to survive with the loss of a trained professional (doctor, engineer, writer). The STCs included detailed instructions for thousands of construction designs, including what materials could be used, but also came with other scientific information more applicable to farming or medicine.

STCs were not made to be stored like time capsules on Earth, but rather as a time stamp of the technology level achieved at the time each colony was sent out from earth.

STCs had long battery lives, but even so, without proper maintenance, intelligence, and care, STCs would degrade, and possibly be destroyed over the thousands of years since creation.

As they were meant to go out with the colonists, STCs were not made in time-capsule form to be stored on Earth, nor Mars, and as such, were not in storage on either planet at the onset of Old Night.

Regardless of whether they were created or not, though, STCs would not survive an EMP, as several nuclear exchanges occurred during the Age of Strife on Terra. The technology of man was not lost during this time, as much as people think, however.

The Emperor fostered science and medicine during his rise to power. The Imperium made many advancements during its first thousand years, to the point of rising from wasteland bikers with power armor, Uzis and furs to having laser, plasma, space marines and warp-travel capable ships. Admittedly, some of this was a re-discovery, but whatever.

The point being, I don't think there were any STCs to begin with on Terra or Mars, but even if there had been, war would have at some point caused their destruction.

Of course, if someone else knows something about their creation and storage I missed, they can correct me. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that does make alot of sense. But why does humaity not attempt to invent technology instead of looking for it.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Because the mindset was lost - in addition to the skills.

If the majority don't know that it is possible to develop NEW stuff, then they won't.
Those that do are labelled as tech-heretics and executed - so any others who think the same way hide those intentions less they themselves suffer the same fate.

Don't forget, it's not a shiny happy touchy-feely Imperium of man. It is an imperium ruled through fear and force of might. Where failure to think within dogmatic lines is considered a capital crime. Independent thought is a deviation. If you are doing anything BUT slavishly following doctrine, you have too much time on your hands.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
During the Dark Age of Tech Terra had an enormous population that relied on imported food to feed it. When Old Night fell, these imports stopped. Combined with the sudden appearance of psykers, all hell broke loose. It's amazing that the entire population wasn't wiped out over the 5000 years of Old Night (though probably less amazing and more Emperor caused).

Secondly, rampant and uncontrolled development of technology has proven disastrous in the past, namely the Iron Men. Also it was probably the Emperor that set into motion the AdMech not only holding almost all scientific knowledge, but have it slowly develop to ensure control and stability.

Lastly, Terra maintained some STC tech. In the HH book "Mechanicus", the overlords of Mars frequently went back to Earth to mine for lost technology. I assume STCs were found as well.

Also even the Techno-barbarians of Terra were capable of producing power armor. Given the state of Terra before the unification under the Emperor, I'd assume their technological base was insufficient to manufacture power armor without at least a partial STC pattern.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iron men are awsome as long as they aren't degraded and sitting on a corrupted planet for centuries

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am all for the slaughtering of the high lords but what is the star child

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The Star Child is a rather unreliable theory stating some babble about the reincarnation of the emperor. You can find it on wiki or lexicanum. I don`t know how to post links.

It`s a fun read, but not considered official fluff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well that does make alot of sense. But why does humaity not attempt to invent technology instead of looking for it.
I remember reading once that the reason new technology is not researched is because it is not pure. The Idea is there is one or two minor chaos gods (the ones the obliterator cults worship) that are basicly the evil version of Omminesh. Ideas for new technology come from them, and without the Emperor blessing these ideas to make them safe, they would become corrupted and let loose Chaos. Sort of like a Technological version of what happens to untrained psychers.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The Imperium is in a similar mindset as humanity was during the Dark Ages in Europe. Imperial Civilisation had completley collapsed in the West, people knew that the Golden Age was behind them, not infront of them, and everyone knew that - People weren't looking forward to a prosperous future, they were constantly looking back at what they had lost. Law and Order broke down, technology was lost, relative peace turned into constant war as the protection of the Roman Legions was lost.

The Imperium in M41 is similar, the Golden Age(s) are behind them, the Golden/Dark Age of Technology is no more than a myth now, the Emperor's Great Crusade ancient history, there is no guiding hand ruling humanity anymore, vast amounts of technology has been lost, and the Imperium is on the brink of collapse. The Mechanicum knows that the greatest ever technology achievements of Man happened thousands of years ago, and the STCs are a direct link to such times. This coupled with the Cult of the Machine makes the aquisition of STCs and other ancient technology more of a holy quest, and anyone who says otherwise is a heretic of the worst kind in their eyes.

·
Registered
745 Posts
personally i think that the stc's were spread out in the galaxy on purpose as part of the emperors first try at having mankind reach their potential. i think it worked for a long time before the robot wars had a lasting impact on mankinds golden age of technology.

the scenario for me is the emperor has always been guiding mankind and it reached its zenith by making A.I. which i think the void dragon was able to corrupt and turn against man. so began the wars with the robots and much like the heresy much was lost or destroyed and then came the warp storms that prevented the emperor consolidating things again. now when i say the emperor i mean Him as a normal man who probably hadnt had gene therapy or anything like that yet to make him like he is in the Emp vs. Horus picture. now ive never seen it mentioned that he ever had geneseed or any of that other astartes stuff but im sure he wasnt like that for the last 40-50 thousand years he has been around.
i think he would have been more of a intellect amongst the best mankind has ever produced than a outright ruler and with his knowledge he got from the void dragon was able to help along any project that was being made for the betterment of man.
then a new faze came along with the dark gods getting ready for their scheme and the emperor had to change tact but with the stc's already out there he sort of already had things ready but just needed to find it all again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In one of the Horus Heresy short stories (Scions of the Storm), as well, I'm sure as other fluff sources, artificial intelligence is deemed heretical by default, as decreed by the Emperor of Man. The explanation of the machine wars happening during the first expansions to the stars, I hadn't heard, but it makes perfect sense as to why A.I. would be illegal/heretical.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts