Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Model-wise, the Orks have always been my second favorite choice because of the ridiculous amount of character that each boy in a wave of green can display, and because of the extreme freedom you have to be creative with the modelling and painting... so I went and offered a bunch of teeth to this guy who was selling boxes of orks he never got around to finishing. It looks like I'll be winning the bid, but I won't know for sure for two more days.
Anyways, how are the Orks nowadays? I know they still don't have a 5th ed codex yet, any idea on when that might happen? And is there anything particularly useless or hugely useful I should know about them before I start collecting them en masse? I still plan to keep IG as my main army, but Orks are... Orks! Theyz made for fightin' an' winnin'!

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
I'm the same. Guard will always be my main army but over the years I've picked up orks here and there. From a purely modelling aspect I love the army and painting them. As for the codex I think the current one is pretty solid, then again I've never played purely to win, I love all the ramdon rules which is why I field SAG's, lootas and looted wagons. Now to get a Wierd Boy. As you know numbers are always critical, people say unless a squad is in a transport it should number 20+. Power klaws are also useful on Nobs. Apparently wierd boyz should be avoided. Tank bustaz arn't that good either but if your like me that won't matter.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The ork dex is fun. It is silly at points which makes it entertaining and it can be a very powerful one also. But mainly, it is fun. Something about the randomness of it all puts a spin on an ork army that can make you and your opponent chuckle during a game. Shock attack guns, looted wagons, weirdboys, the ramshackle trucks and the stormboys can cause for some unique situations on the table. I don't see a new dex coming out for a while, they kinda got this one right.

My son plays them, and I use his army on the rare occasion, and we both enjoy doing so. The models are great, with a lot of details that makes painting them challenging and fun. It really is, (in my opinion at least) a well rounded and fun army to use on both the hobby side and the gaming side of it all.

Edit: D.H. : Weirdboys are fun! Total random powers every turn and those powers are, well, powerful! Take the warphead upgrade as his 'ead will not explode as much. They can be crazy fun and powerful, just a bit dangerous, like any good ork should be.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
The Orks never fail to amuse and player. They are a well balanced army with, as you say, a hell of a lot of customisation options. I personally run a mechanized Ork army (Kanz/Dredz/MegaDredz/BW/Truks and what not) which i find is both efective to play and fun to build/paint.
Their foot slogging armies are excellent also, for the sheer numbers you can field to the maniacal glee at surrounding a unit of whatver comes in to range with 30+ boys all at once.

Just be prepared to roll a lot of dice; I'm one of a group of Ork players and most of them run footsloging armies, they each have had to roll 50 - 60 dice in one go more than once, quite regularly in fact. And also be prepared for a lot of painting, especially if you run a footsloging army.

In all they are a hell of a lot of fun and dont lose out on the age of their Codex in the slightest, its probably one of the best at the moment

Weird boyz are fun if you can keep them from exploding randomly, the warphead upgrae does this and shokk attack guns are quite powerful too but also highly random. If you use these; be prepared for a lot of craziness and some exploding Orks

SGMAlice

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
The nice part about the orks right now is that they can be totally fun and random or tricked out to be really competitive. You can go for all mek with everything in armor, all speed with everything mobil or go everything on foot with a green tide. The codex is really good
Here are some good tacticas written by members here that could help you.
Culler's Ork Tactica
Tossy's Ork Character

You get many people that will suggest many different units to you but the thing to remember is use the units that work for you. Lootas and a big mek with a Kustom Force Field will probably be the two most recommended units to take regaudless of the kind of army you take. Flash gitz and zzap guns are probably the two least recommended units for orks but as I siad pick the units that work for you.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Orks a very fun army to play and a very fun army to collect but, in a purely competitive standpoint, they fail horribly. they have no decent way of popping tanks apart from close range stuff. The only decent choice for ranged anti tank are lootas but they're unreliable with their random shots and low BS. They have hardly anything that can take on land raiders or other High AV vehicles.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm a longtime Ork player, and the Orks are definitely a fun, balanced, and competitive army. Their only real drawback is that a lot of their units aren't worth using, mainly because other units in the army are a lot better.

Best units: Ork boyz, Warbosses with powerklaws, Ghazghkull, Big Meks w/KFF, Grots, Nobz (all varieties), Lootas, Warbuggies, Warbikes, Wazzdakka, Battlewagons, Big Gunz, Killa Kans

'Okay' units (not bad, but more situational): Warp Eads, Big Meks w/SAG, Kommandos, Snikkrot, Deffkoptas, Deff Dreads, Stormboyz, Looted Wagons

Bad units: any other type of Big Mek, most of the special characters, Flash Gitz, Tankbustas

Most competitive Ork lists are either pure mechanized, with a lot of trukks/battlewagons, all kept within range of a KFF, or they're 120-180 boyz marching up the table, either accompanied by lots of killa kans, or with nob bikers rushing up first to cripple/distract the enemy.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
What exactly is wrong with Looted Wagons and Flash Gitz? I was hoping of using some of those, so I want to know how to best offset their weaknesses. Culler's Ork Tactica that morfangdakka so kindly linked only describes them as overpriced.

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
thing is flash gitz are a shooty unit that relies on a low bs which may not work out after the points you pay to make them worthwhile. looted wagons have low armour and because of their special rule where they may push the wrong button shooting an attached gun becomes an issue. still its fun too imagine the orks enjoying themselves.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was actually thinking of using those two together, as a ghetto drive-by squad.

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
leave the looted wagon as a transport with the gitz inside? could work but you putting a pricy shooty unit in an armour 11 transport. I'm at work so I can't check but I think its 11.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I know they still don't have a 5th ed codex yet, any idea on when that might happen?
I'd argue that they do. The current Ork codex came out just before 5th edition and has in it a lot of the style that most of the 5th edition codices have such as HQ choices that change what you can take as a troops choice.

As for ghetto drive-bys in the Ork codex, nothing tops burnas in a battlewagon. Get 6 hits with your template off any any part of your battlewagon? The enemy squad takes 90 strength 4 hits. Poof goes the squad.

·
4,491 Posts
If you want to go with Mech Orks, then you cant go wrong with buying 1-2 Battlewagons, a couple of boxes of Lootas/Burnas, a KFF Mek, and a couple of lots of cheap AoBR Boyz.

This base will allow you to get a feel for the army while proxying other units, and see where you want to go with it.
Generally, a KFF Mek, Boyz, and Lootas will be used in your army regardless of what type of army you run (unless its pure (Nob) Bikers).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm only planning on a Warboss with PK on a bike... I can't think of a better anti-AV14 weapon the orks have than that.
And yeah, KFF is a must. Probably a few Kanz as well. Buggies for anti-light armour. I don't plan to go full Mech, but I do want to have more vehicles than the standard green horde list.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interested in BW and Trukk models that people did...
Got pics of your Battlewagons?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts