Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all :grin:

So, I'm finally making the plunge into Fantasy. After looking into the various armies I've decided on WoC. I like the brutal straight forward close combat Viking esque archetype they are.
Since I'm playing with friends, I'm looking to build a list that will be fun to play, easy to assemble & paint so I can get them on the field and not be the only unpainted army out of my friends, seeing as how they have fully painted armies they've built over the years.
I've yet to buy the book and got hooked on playing with another's army in a small game. I've been informed that the group usually plays at no less than 1,500-2,000. As such, I'm hoping to keep my purchases on the low end of the $pectrum, if you know what I mean. :grin:

My preliminary list as such is:

Lord/Hero
Chaos Lord (equipped with?)
BSB (is one necessary?)
[email protected] w/ Scroll of Dispel

Core
Chaos Warriors: 5x4 block of 20
Marauders: 5x4 block of 20
Warhounds: 5x2 block of 10

Special
Chaos Knights: 5x1 line of 5

Rare
Hell Cannon (?)
-OR-
Skull Crushers

That's it, I'm curious as to opinions on playability in relation to the 1,500-2,000 points range as well as the idea that it is mostly composed of 2 Battalions, a couple Warriors boxes, and the Hell Cannon -OR- Skull Crushers.
Please, share you C&C as I look forward to the input. :grin:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm personally not a big fan of the marauders. They die way to easily especially now that BS-based shooting is back in force w/ all 3 flavor of Elves. If you are going to use them, Mark of Slaanesh and Flails are a good option - no Fear, Terror, or Panic checks and you get S5 in the 1st turn w/o wasting their I4.

The warrior blocks should do you solid. Do one w/ sword & board to hold stuff up and one w/ halberds or great weapons to crack some skulls.

You'd be better off w/ the hounds in smaller units. I'm not a big fan of the big ones as they still die easily. Smaller units give you a chance to out deploy your opponent letting you set up the matches you want. Poison or vanguard are good choices for upgrades. Never waste the points on the 6+ armor save - useless.

The knights would work either as a combat bus or in 2 units of 5. They will be priority targets.

For the rare, I'd go w/ the Skullcrushers but I'm a bit biased as I've always been a Khorne fanboy. If you want some shooting that includes a decent (albeit slow) monster then go for the cannon.

As for characters ... that's all up to you really. I'm always doing something different and usually play a friendlier style of game so I'm not going for the cookie cutter kitted out Nurgle Daemon Prince or lvl 4 sorc or Hortense Disco Lord. Since WoC characters are so expensive, I usually won't take a BSB in smaller games. Usually it's just a sorc or sorc lord up to 1850 or there abouts.

Hope that helps some!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm personally not a big fan of the marauders. They die way to easily especially now that BS-based shooting is back in force w/ all 3 flavor of Elves. If you are going to use them, Mark of Slaanesh and Flails are a good option - no Fear, Terror, or Panic checks and you get S5 in the 1st turn w/o wasting their I4.
Well, considering this is for a friendly environment and not overly competitive, I'm not too concerned about the Marauders dying easily. I'm probably going to use them as a meat shield for the warriors. I like your recomendation for how to kit them out, thank you. :)

The warrior blocks should do you solid. Do one w/ sword & board to hold stuff up and one w/ halberds or great weapons to crack some skulls.
On the warriors, I was considering doing sword & board on the first rows and halberds in the second row. Are you suggesting one block with all S&B and another all halberds?

You'd be better off w/ the hounds in smaller units. I'm not a big fan of the big ones as they still die easily. Smaller units give you a chance to out deploy your opponent letting you set up the matches you want. Poison or vanguard are good choices for upgrades. Never waste the points on the 6+ armor save - useless.
So, hounds maybe in 4 groups of 5? Odds are with Vanguard they'll still run some decent interference in the opening of the game.

The knights would work either as a combat bus or in 2 units of 5. They will be priority targets.
I figured on these being a red flag for opponents and that's ok.

For the rare, I'd go w/ the Skullcrushers but I'm a bit biased as I've always been a Khorne fanboy. If you want some shooting that includes a decent (albeit slow) monster then go for the cannon.
I was thinking Skullcrushers too, I think it fits better with the CC nature of this army. The cannon seems like it might be a little too random at times.

As for characters ... that's all up to you really. I'm always doing something different and usually play a friendlier style of game so I'm not going for the cookie cutter kitted out Nurgle Daemon Prince or lvl 4 sorc or Hortense Disco Lord. Since WoC characters are so expensive, I usually won't take a BSB in smaller games. Usually it's just a sorc or sorc lord up to 1850 or there abouts.
The BSB was simply a curiosity, I hadn't seen a single list with it anywhere.
As for the Lord and Sorcerer, I'll kit them out accordingly to each ones best suited area. I think the sorcerer may be included to do some anti magic.

Hope that helps some!
It certainly does, thank you!

·
Registered
483 Posts
For your warriors, it doesn't pay to do units w/ mixed weaponry as there are no rules for running mixed weaponry outside of having a character sitting in the unit. So S&B for one unit (anvil to hold stuff up) and halberds for the 2nd (armor cracking or monster hunting).

A quick note on the S&B warriors. Not sure how up on the rules you are, BUT ... the S&B combo gives the unit a 6+ ward in CC. There are a few exceptions:
1) Models w/ Frenzy do not benefit. So, no Mark of Khorne for them
2) If a model has a magic weapon or shield, they do not benefit.
Just something to be aware of when list building. :wink:

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Welcome aboard (the WoC), Jace!

Sounds like a decent list, but I haven't played fantasy in years.

My last WoC liked something like . . .

2x 16 warriors
1x 16 chosen

1x hero on jugger
1x (or 2x) hero on horse

2x 4 or 5 trolls

1x chaos giant

That was about 2000 points.

Didn't play competitively, but did well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Krueger!
I think the list will be fun to play.
No shooting phase? Oh well! Near as I can tell WoC are all CC as it is.
My thinking is running along the lines of using the Sorcerer with the Dispel Scroll to deal with magic.
The hounds should run decent interference.
Marauders are probably going to meat shield the warriors.
The Knights and Skull Crushers will probably charge into ranks to support the warriors or they will simply go after other problematic units.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks Krueger!
I think the list will be fun to play.
No shooting phase? Oh well! Near as I can tell WoC are all CC as it is.
My thinking is running along the lines of using the Sorcerer with the Dispel Scroll to deal with magic.
The hounds should run decent interference.
Marauders are probably going to meat shield the warriors.
The Knights and Skull Crushers will probably charge into ranks to support the warriors or they will simply go after other problematic units.
A few things to think about:

1) Using the marauders in an MSU (many small units) style. Sort of along the lines of chaff units like the dogs. 10-12 w/ MoS (avoid those psychology checks like Nurgle's Plague!!!) and flails would be a good place to start. Would give you more drops and you could use them as speed bumps/meat shields in front of the warriors or use them as support/hammer units to take into the flanks of enemy units that your warriors are grinding away at. Remember, if you have at least 1 full rank beyond the 1st, you'll negate an enemy unit's Steadfast. MSU, though, is not very forgiving. You make a mistake and you'll feel it.

2) Giving one unit of knights lances & a standard bearer w/ Banner of Eternal Flame to hunt down any regenerating monsters. Personally I usually just go w/ ensorcelled weapons but I usually only use a single unit of knights or crushers in a list of 2000pts. If you're going w/ multiple units, though, you may want to give it a whirl.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Hello all :grin:

My preliminary list as such is:

Lord/Hero
Chaos Lord (equipped with?)
BSB (is one necessary?)
[email protected] w/ Scroll of Dispel
It would help to know how you're planning to mark, and if you're using steeds/Demonic Mounts/Mounts of the Gods. Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount is how I play this size army. Sorcerer of Tzeentch is very good. AS to the BSB, I like getting the rerolls, and in Blood and Honor, the BSB is key, if your group does the book scenarios.
Core
Warriors is about appropriate, I'd perfer 24 (5x5 with BSB in one unit, Sorcerer in other.), but that's a matter of taste. Maruders are good, but 20 is too small for a main unit, to large to harry. I'd go 1x10 w/flail/Tzeentch, 30 with flail/Slaanesh. I don't use warhounds, they don't usually make it to combat for me.
Special
I think I'd prefer them in 1x10 with full command. 5 will be able to handle themselves, but you'll be tarpitted against big units due to steadfast. A few extra attacks per combat will reduce that.
Rare
Hell Cannon (?)
-OR-
Skull Crushers
Skull cannon, for anti war machine duty.
That's it, I'm curious as to opinions on playability in relation to the 1,500-2,000 points range as well as the idea that it is mostly composed of 2 Battalions, a couple Warriors boxes, and the Hell Cannon -OR- Skull Crushers.
Please, share you C&C as I look forward to the input. :grin:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a rules clarification for you. The entire unit has to have the same equipment
so if 1 model has shields and or halberds they all have to have shields and halberds.
and as another note a hand weapon and shield doesn't count as a special weapon
so the entire unit will be forced to attack with halberds because it's considered to be
a special weapon pg89 of the rulebook. Also the following pages with weapons are
all the special weapons.

Skullcrushers are very good they are also a massive bullet magnet thats also very
tough to deal with. The 1+ armour save along with 3 wounds per model do to being
Monstrous Cav and being on Juggernauts.

My Warriors of Chaos armies don't have Marauders but I don't own them. But thats to
say I am also not going to be buying any of them soon. They are too weak in my opinion.

I personally Build my Chaos Warriors in Ranks of 6. Slightly tougher ranks and always
getting all my models to attack.

Knights are also good I always field them with Enscorcelled weapons +1 str all the time is
better then +2 str on the charge. Because everything they fight will almost always certainly
take more than 2 rounds of combat.

For Command I use to always build full command but I am going to start trying without the unit
champion. it's 10pts for +1attack. 1 Warriors is 14pts for 2attacks. usually 17 with shield and mark.

Giving a unit Halberd and Shields makes them slightly tougher till the get into combat then they can
hit harder.

One last thing. Take note with the new Nagash book coming out there will be rules for allowing you
to spend 50% of your points on Lords. Pretty sure alot of people will be jumping onto that wagon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts