Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

As I said in my intro post, I am from a small town in India where I am currently working, its also my home town. I may very well be the only person in the whole town who have heard of this settings (apart from the people, I bore with tales of WH40k).

So here's my problem, I want to organize and create (hopefully) a wh40k gamer group in my town but even myself who loves the lore has never actually played the tabletop game. There's a board gaming group in my town where I can introduce this (they were positive about it but yet apparently I will have to do almost all the work) but herein lies my problems :

1. Money and Accessibility : As expansive the miniatures are, directly buying from games workshop will mean ppp kicking in and for me it will be relatively more expansive. I am looking for some online place where I can get cheaper second hand models and who can provide offshore courier facility. There is no retail option for me.

2. We all are noobs, even the board gaming group doesn't have anything very complex, fancy in their arsenal, so I think its going to be an uphill task and it will be pretty difficult to organize a successful first game. Any tips for this?

3. What kind of armies should I look for?

Any other tips, suggestions for successfully organizing a WH40k event in my city is welcomed. Even if you guys think that it can't be done, please say so.

By the will of the emperor, "Patna" will also be brought under compliance.:)

ps : I hope this is the right subforum for this thread.

·
Registered
533 Posts
eBay some second hand stuff and strip the paint. I've never done that before but apparently it's possible even for plastic models

Aim for smaller point games than the 1500-1850 that is commonly played. 1000 points is fun, or even 750, but it would probably be best to ban all superheavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures. Maybe ban flyers and flying monstrous creatures too, though perhaps a reasonable concession would be allowing flying monstrous creatures that don't have shooting attacks.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Welcome!

This is a difficult task you have, certainly. Games Workshop has shut down new in box offshore sales from retailers, so your best option really is to go for the second hand.

I'd consider looking at table top buy swap or sell groups on facebook as a first resort, noting that since you are just dealing with regular people you will occasionally find it unreliable.

Ebay is always an option, though not exactly a gold mine.

Or, on this forum, post a wanted 'New in Box Dark Vengeance' post on the trading area and see if anyone can help you out.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
The trading forum on here would be a good place to start. You could also check out places like Bartertown there are people on there looking to sell armies. You could also place an ad here, bartertown, or craigslist saying you have $100 to buy as much of XYZ army as possible. I have gotten a 8k space wolves army, two ork armies and a small tyranids army each for $100 that people have gotten rid of.
You might want to see about finding people in the military that are looking to unload stuff before they are deployed. I have gotten many items from US and British soldiers that don't want to store stuff or bring it back home so they sell them cheap.

Good luck and let us know how it goes with the group.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
In forum trading is a solution (made in places where you have learn to trust people); otherwise second hand ebay, facebook buy/sell groups and so on.
I'd recommend to get some practice before you organize an event. Also, might want to have a variety of armies played, possibly at the same level. As for starting army, go for marines for a solid army, or maybe eldar if you like the xenos. I could also suggest khorne daemonkin if you like melee.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you look around on the web you can find rules for most armies, and the rules.
Then make some 500 point lists of different armies then get some stuff from ebay draw lots with the game group to see who plays what and then swap armies. You can get a lot of fun playing 500 points on a 4x4 table. And you don't then need lots of scenery.
There should be something for everyone with one of the armies

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I have started spending some time on trading subforum and ebay, and yeah for starting this hobby with complete noobs, I will aim for 2-3, 500pts armies, if it catches up among the group we can start expanding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, like everyone else is saying start small 500 to 700pts and then go up from there.
Simple Green is a good paint stripper and it works for plastics too. That way you can repaint all your models.
Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Brother G

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Simple Green is a good paint stripper
I'm willing to say the best (and I have tried a great many), though if it's metal models you can use almost anything.
@Iron Circle, do you have any idea of what armies you're interested in building small forces out of? There's a lot of very strategic minds on Heresy, if you head over to our Army List section and post up what models you have found they can help you organize unit and wargear options to get you started playing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts