Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Option Six - Other, Please State

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've finally decided that my next book purchase will be Fantasy-wise. However, I don't know where to start.

I'm thinking of picking up the new Island of Blood intro novel, but apart from that, I have a few choices:

Option One: Time of Legends

Option Two: Gotrek and Felix Omnibuses

Option Three: Maleus Darkblade Omnibuses

Option Four: The Two Grey Seer Novels

Option Five: Brunner the Bounty Hunter Omnibus

Option Six: Other, Please State.

So these are my Five Options to start Fantasy with, and yeah, I need your help deciding what the best ones would be. I'll make a poll but I would like you to reply to this thread explaining. Thanks.

~BoK.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Ah welcome to the Old World then. I would recommend you get Grey Seer and Temple of the Serpent, those two novels are excellent. You can't help but laugh at Thanquol's antics and the culture of the Skaven is fascinating, and often hilarious.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I say Anthoney Reyonlds The knights of bretonia series and Graham Mcneils The legend of sigmar trilogy. All are great books and give you a look into the sides of both human factions.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I don't read much fantasy but you can't go far wrong with the Time of Legends series. Sigmar and the Sundering trilogies especially are great.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I don't read much fantasy but you can't go far wrong with the Time of Legends series. Sigmar and the Sundering trilogies especially are great.
You should read more of it CotE, many times its better then 40k. Its very refreshing to see so many stories written from the POV of non-humans, be they Skaven, Elves both High and Dark, or even the Vampire Counts. But with 40k its very humanocentric, only one true alien POV story exists, and while very very good, more are needed.

Of course there are times when 40k is better then fantasy, such as the humans themselves. Space Marines, Inquisition, or Imperial Guard are much better then The Empire or Bretonnia. But sometimes the humans in fantasy can be very engaging like Brunner the Bounty Hunter or Mathias Thulmann the Witch Hunter.

·
Registered
825 Posts
All the legends books are fantastic. I normally can't stand Gav Thorpe's work, but the sundering books are brilliant.

Grey Seer is OK, Temple of the Serpent is a masterpiece, Werner has found what he wants to do with Thanquol in the second book and it's amazing.

Gotrek and Felix books are meh to be honest. SkavenSlayer is worth a read before Grey Seer as you get more info on Thanquol's fear/hatred of the pair.

Given how cool Temple of the Serpents is, i'd imagine Brunner is also a brilliant read, it's in my pile at the moment and I'll be on it when I finich the Ludwig Schwarzehelm book I just started. Heard good things about Ludwig's book so giving it a whirl.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
All the legends books are fantastic. I normally can't stand Gav Thorpe's work, but the sundering books are brilliant.

Grey Seer is OK, Temple of the Serpent is a masterpiece, Werner has found what he wants to do with Thanquol in the second book and it's amazing.

Gotrek and Felix books are meh to be honest. SkavenSlayer is worth a read before Grey Seer as you get more info on Thanquol's fear/hatred of the pair.

Given how cool Temple of the Serpents is, i'd imagine Brunner is also a brilliant read, it's in my pile at the moment and I'll be on it when I finich the Ludwig Schwarzehelm book I just started. Heard good things about Ludwig's book so giving it a whirl.
The only Gotrek and Felix novels I care at all about reading are Skavenslayer, Beastslayer and Elfslayer. Why?, because Grey Seer Thanquol is in all of them.

Temple of the Serpent is the best of the two novels. The human plot in Grey Seer, while important, isn't as interesting as the Skaven plot. But Temple of the Serpent's human plot was excellent, very engaging and a perfect partner to the Skaven plot which is a masterpiece.

Brunner is a great read Whizzwang, if you want I have a review for it here.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69959

I also have a new review for another of Werner's work, Mathias Thulmann: Witch Hunter, which is quite excellent.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71347

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a question about Thanquol novels. dou you need to read them in order or can I start with Temple of the Serpent? I ask because I am more interested in story with Lizardmen.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Somewhat. Apparantely there is a very big event about half-way between the novels, I think its half-way, that you MUST know about when reading the rest.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Also if you want to get the full import of events with the G&F spin-off series' (Ulrika the Vampire and Thanquol the Skaven) then it would be a good idea to read most of the books.

I cannot recommend The Heldenhammer books, part of the Time of Legends series, enough- they're Gemmell quality stuff, Sigmar will never be Druss but by god he's an engaging character with proper depth.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Well with Ulrika and Thanquol it helps to have read the G&F (not G&K Baron) series but you don't have to have read them, you just need a basic understanding of what went down in them.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Its a tough call for me between Thanquol and Malus as my favourites, but Thanquol wins out for a few reasons. One he's Skaven, two he's much funnier then Malus, and third he's a Skaven Grey Seer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts