Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I did some searching and couldnt find what I was lookin for so I figured id make a post.

Well as the name implies I'm trying to start the hobby again and I have nothing. I watched a vid on Tube tellin me a good start on a budget so I figured I'd start there first and get you guys to maybe flesh me out.

I'm currently probably gonna go with Chaos(havent gotten an army yet)because thats what I used to play years ago. What kind of Chaos I dont know, I may grab a squad of each to see what I like(40k).

The vid said to get the basics: glue, knife etc. 4 Brushes: 3/0, 2/0, 1, Large Drybrush. 13 paints: Red, yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, White, Black, Ivory, Linen type color, Pale skin, Dark brown, Medium Brown, and Dark Khaki.

What else should I get as far as colors/brushes go? I was gonna go with Vallejo Game color, I read their metallics suck so GW on those?

Also I'm probably gonna go with a brush on primer because of where i live is very very dusty outside, lots of pollen, etc. Maybe even a brush on varnish too. What brands are good and should i water these down? Should i use a separate brush for these?

I was gonna go with Series 7 brushes, but me being a beginner again should i go with a cheaper Sable brush like escoda or something till i get my feet and abilities wet?

Lol sorry I got so many questions. I just like to have all my ducks in a row before i do things. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Disclaimer:I have not tried the Series 7 brushes so I can't comment on their quality or durability, but since they are considered to be the best, it's perfectly understandable for anyone to want to use them.

Series 7s are expensive, about twice what I paid for my Kolinsky sable brush (I consider mine to be pretty expensive already!). I'm a beginner myself, and I've asked a fellow hobbyist, who turns out to be an art teacher as well, about getting W&N brushes.

I was told that there is a noticeable difference between a Winsor and Newton Series 7 brush and similar Kolinsky sable brushes, namely in how well the paint is applied (brush control perhaps? sad to say i didn't follow up on this question). So, if you have the money to spare, then by all means go for the Series 7.

But I advise against this for the following reasons:
- bristle wear occurs when the brush is being used. This means that for every stroke, you are wearing down the tips and thus reducing its life span. If you are a true beginner, and like me, a very sloppy one, you will be abusing your brush a fair bit before you start a conscious effort at prolonging its life (I still use acetone to clean mine when I'm too lazy to just rinse it out with soap and water, and I still manage to get paint in the ferrule even if I don't dip it all the way in)
- again, if you're a sloppy beginner like me, you will probably go through a number of brushes before you can even consider yourself at a competent/satisfactory standard. Will you be willing to do this with Series 7 brushes, or other kolinsky sable brushes that are about 2 times cheaper?

I myself have been using a couple of Raphael Kolinsky Sables for a couple of months now, and I swear that I've already lost a couple of millimeters off one tip already. And that's just from practicing simple basecoating and highlighting! I estimate that at this rate, I'll probably need a new one in about four to six months :cray:

So my advice to you would be to practice on cheaper brushes. Wait until you get really good so that, when you finally get a Series 7, you will know that you're going to get the most out of it.

All the best with your painting!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I would recommend against series 7 until your are a little more proficient at handling the brush, but I think you already relaised this.

Paint wise its normally personal prefernece. I go for whatever is around. I have never had any problems with the current batch of GW colours, but also I have had few issues with Vallejio.

Priming is important and brush on prmier does not always give great results, but if you do live in an area with a lot of dust its probably a good idea.

The biggest tips I can give you are paint neatly and thin you paints. Several thin layers are much better than a thick one that obscures all the detail.

Looking forward to seeing some of your mini's once thier painted.

Oh and welcome to Heresy online.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yea ill probably go with a cheaper sable brushes to start. I'm gonna still get some spray primer and give a couple a go to see how it turns out, but yea i live in a wooded dustbowl atm. Cleared some banks off and never put down grass seed, so a large part of my yard is now a barren wasteland. Ill probably try and make me a box of some kind to do it in see what happens.

Back when i played i was a drybrush abuser, since the only painting tips i knew of came from random players or a magazine or 2. Didnt even water paints etc.

But ive done a ton of research over the last few weeks, and picked up some cool stuff from sites like this and youtube etc, and i think ill start off with a much better base this time.

Ill try and put one up when i get it all ordered and done.

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
first off, welcome to Heresy online. Second: I would personally suggest if you have a GW near you to go check out their paints there, ask if you can use a test model and their paints (usually they have paints you can use if they are big enough) find the colourscheme you want to do and only get the paints for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts