Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am just looking to start collecting IG. I am looking for something a bit more..... human yet mechanised (yes, I see the inherent dichotomy there). What I was hoping to get is some advice on what to focus on buying first (I'm not made of money, but would prefer to spend a little more here or there now at a slower rate than regret something later on). Obviously an HQ and some troop choices, but there are soooooooo many options there. I was going to get these first anyway, so I can use them as inducted guard in my GKs until I have a large enough force to make it stand alone (or until the new GK codex comes out and bans allies - whichever comes first).

I love the idea of the Death Korps of Krieg. Their units are a little more than say Cadian or Catechan, but they look so cool. Can you use these guys in a standard game of 40K or are they only useable in Apocalypse?

Also, when going to the local store to buy mechanised units, which do you start with? There are so many different Leman Russ variants (for example) that it is difficult to know which to start with, or what priority to allocate to each vehicle (as far as buying them is concerned). Are there any threads which go through this sort of thing? I looked, but admit I may have missed it.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm very much in the same position as you are, however remember that the Leman Russ Battle Tank makes a battle tank, exterminator, or vanquisher. The Leman Russ Demolisher box can make any of the other 4 (Eradicator, Demolisher, Punisher, Executioner). I plan on using ebay to buy extra turret bits (just the turret) so that I will not be stuck with just one variation of the Leman Russ.

As for using Death Korps models, as long as they are equipped with what your list says they are, you are good there. Just remember that the new codex did away with the regiment specific rules, which does allow a lot of leeway in mixing and matching units from different regiments to make a very characterful army.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I hadn't considered looking for turrets on e-bay (or our local equivalent). That is very useful.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
DKoK can be used as standard Guard using the Codex, or if you want them to be uniquely DKoK you use the rules/lists found in the FW Imperial Armour Books..I do the same with my Cadian IG army, inthat I build lists in the Codex as far as Stats/Rules/Costs etc, and also play with an Armoured Battlegroup list that has some variances to it - same models played 2 ways.

On the Russes..in friendly/casual games any of them are fine, but if you want to build competitive and effective ones (performance and points -wise) don't bother with the Punisher and Vanquisher as they will disappoint you the more games you use them, plus other Units in the Codex perform the role better/cheaper. As for the rest my top 4 are -
LRBT
Executioner
Demolisher
Exterminator

bear in mind I'm talking 'all-comers' lists here..I don't build tailored lists, although obviously any list should be able to dish out some form of anti -
- light/heavy Infantry...GEQ/MEQ/TEQ
- AV...transport/tank
- MC

Seen as you're just starting out you can't go wrong with the LRBT, and your second choice should be based on what list types you face the most in your area - Mech/Hoard etc.

Also don't forget about some of the other Vehicles - Artillery and HH Varients etc, but that might be getting too far ahead in your plans:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't bother with the Punisher and Vanquisher as they will disappoint you the more games you use them, plus other Units in the Codex perform the role better/cheaper. As for the rest my top 4 are -
LRBT
Executioner
Demolisher
Exterminator
I am so glad you mentioned that. I was seriously looking a Punisher as an option when going against horde armies, but I guess an Executioner with Plasma cannon on each sponson would do a bit more damage, and it will be useful against tougher hombres.

Thanks for you assistance dude (would rep you but I gotta spread it around more).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts