Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have played fantasy through part of sixth and all of seventh edtion and want to start a new army for 8th.

OK I am looking at 3 stages: 1k, 2k, 3k.

As I understand it you can now have a lord at less than 2k as long as you don't spend over 25%. If that is not the case I will have to change the list slightly.

At 1k

Prince 216
Heavy Armor
Longbow
Sword of Might
Enchanted Shield
Guardian Phoenix

Sea Guard 285 (General goes here)
Full Command
20 man
Shields

Sea Guard 298
Full Command
21 Man
Shields

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100

That is the 1k portion rest to come when I get off work. C&C welcome.

2k is:

The above plus

Sea Guard 247
19 man
Shields

Sea Guard 247
19 man
Shields

They will be added to the other units to bring them up to 40 man each.

Alith Anar 245

He is an extra bolt thrower.

Shadow Warriors 256
16 man

My idea is to use them to scout with Alith so he can shoot units in the flank. They are also the one I am least sure on use of.

3k is:

The above plus

Option A:

Korhil 140

White Lions 415
Full Command
24 man
Lion Standard

And one of below (Bolt throwers if I can. Archers if I can't:

Repeater bolt thrower 100

OR

Archers 110
10 man

Archers 110
10 man

Archers 110
10 man

Archers 110
10 man

Total with Bolt Throwers: 2949 with 50 points to spend
Total with Archers: 2989 with 11 to spend

Option B:

Caradryan 175

Phoenix Guard 390
Full Command
24 man

And one of below (Bolt throwers if I can. Archers if I can't.):

Or

Archers 143
13 man

Archers 143
13man

Archers143
13 man

Total with Bolt Throwers: 2959 with 41 to spend

Total with Archers: 2988 with 12 to spend

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
Could use more troops honestly. Below the 2k mark you can get away with a crappy General if you've got a solid force. More cheap spearmen and lion chariots!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
at 3k add in an arch mage but for your prince i would go armour of caledor vambraces of defence and a great weapon and no shadow warriors also you are not allowed 6 bolt throwers only allowed 4 at 3k and why not sword masters wuith another lv2 who casts shield of saaphery on them but take the seer staff on archmage and jewl of dusk on mage then you get a dragon running around going roar lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
its good but you need magic, and when you get higher remember under 3000 you cant have more than two of the same kind of rare and when you hit the grand army level (3000+) its doubled to 4.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's hard to give advice when none of us has really digested the new rules, but here are some points I'd recommend considering:
-I've always felt Seaguard are too expensive for what they are. I mean, you get ~40% less guys on the battlefield compared to a balanced list of archers and spearmen. Seaguard aren't as good at shooting as archers, and because you'll feel obligated to shoot with them, they often aren't as good in close combat as spearmen.
-Magic is really, REALLY important for high elves, if for nothing else than the fact that they can virtually shut out offensive magic of the enemy. You need something in this department, or you're gonna get creamed in the magic phase.

·
Registered
442 Posts
how are sea gaurd less effective in combat than spearmen those 40 guys will in a 10 wide frontage get 30 sshots a turn then 41 combat attack re-roll to hit most6 things

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Played a 1000 pt 8th ed game with this list:

Prince
Armour of Caledor
Vanbraces of Defense
Great Weapon

Sea Guard
19 man
Shields
Full Command

Sea Guard
20 man
Shields
Full Command

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

All said I think I need to drop Bolt Thrower and add a Mage.

The game ended in a tie with the new rules it is harder to get a win.

Of my oppenents Empire force I killed a detachment, two units down to one guy left, two units to half strength, and all his characters survived.

I lost the 19man unit mostly from The Lurker Below spell, 5 Sea Guard from the other unit 2 to the lurker and 3 to swordsmen, and a bolt thrower to knight.

The Prince wrecked units. I got a how do you have a 2+ rerollable armor save.

The 8th Ed rules aren't as bad to play as I first thought they would be the work nice. I will be taking a Army Standard as you can reroll all ld tests within 12 inches and if he dies is only worth and extra 50 instead of 100. Unit standards are worth and extra 25 instead of 100 if captured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts