Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After careful consideration, I have chosen Eldar to be my first army. Chaos Daemons almost won but I don't think I can deal with that randomness for a first army.

Basically I picked this army b/c it takes strategy to play them right and they sound like they would be very awarding.

I like how they are a fast army and can adapt to other armies strats.

That's all I really know about eldar to be honest...

Can anyone give me some pros and cons to these guys please?

Also, how does Eldar fair against Tau and CSM?

Should I buy the battleforce set and go from there? Or just make a list buy it piece by piece from ebay or something?

Is starting out at 500 points and gradually moving up a good idea or just jump to 1K/1.5K?

If I can get some help on these questions I'd greatly appreciate it and would make starting this army a heck of a lot easier!

I thank you in advance!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
After careful consideration, I have chosen Eldar to be my first army. Chaos Daemons almost won but I don't think I can deal with that randomness for a first army.

Basically I picked this army b/c it takes strategy to play them right and they sound like they would be very awarding.

I like how they are a fast army and can adapt to other armies strats.
actualy they cant really adapt, if their units fight somthing they shouldnt be fighting they will lose x3

That's all I really know about eldar to be honest...

Can anyone give me some pros and cons to these guys please?

Also, how does Eldar fair against Tau and CSM?

Should I buy the battleforce set and go from there? Or just make a list buy it piece by piece from ebay or something?

Is starting out at 500 points and gradually moving up a good idea or just jump to 1K/1.5K?

If I can get some help on these questions I'd greatly appreciate it and would make starting this army a heck of a lot easier!

I thank you in advance!!!
Ok... im not completely up with eldar but a few things to note, Firedragons own , throw 5 into a wave serpent and you got yourself a hella fast anti tank nomnomnomnessism

Farseers are very versitle :3 and basicly your always going to war seer stones and two powers (possibly singing spear)

dont bother with guardians just get dire avangers (i think guardians can easily be converted into them?)

umm...

Scorpians work well against hordles, while Banshee's work well against MEQ's

Warpspiders are pretty fun but relitivly useless, and Swooping hawks are even less useful D: (but i still love them both for the funness :D)

basicly always make your rangers into pathfinders, the +2 coversave is epic for 3 points or w/e it is...

yea... thats about all i got :D sooooo enjoy :3
ive been wanting to start an eldar army... but eh x3

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well I have played for a few years and the thing to watch with eldar is that each unit is good at something. They rock at that something and get owned if they do something they are not meant to do. Your play still wii depend on a lot of what you choose to take for your lists.

With the new system I would recommend that you start with a mech list. Fire prisms work in twos best, avoid star engines, vecter engines on your vehicles. They sound kewl but you really never use them and they cost a ton of points.

Pheonix lords are good HQs, Eldrad rocks even if people yell cheese.

guardians are good in groups in cover or advancing with the avatar.

DA's are great with blade storm, dual cats and a wave serpent. TL EML, BL or scatter lasers are best. I like star cannons personnelly but they are expensive.

Fire dragons in groups of 5-6 no exarch, wave serpent or Falcon (secondary weapon needs to be EML so he can fire it as a def weapon)
Banshees w/ exarch executioner, Jain Zar is awesome here, wave serpent
scorpions are ok, exarch weapons are biting blade or chain sabers
Dark Reapers rock against MEQ's
Jetbikes are hard to start with and so are vypers.

Hope this helps IM me if you need more help or have questions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help!

How do they fair against Tau and CSM?

Should I buy the battleforce set first or just start buying individual pieces?

Is there a certain point starting zone that's good for eldar? Or can I just start at 500 and work my way up?

Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would FO SHO make a list and play test it a bit before you buy anything because this stuff is expensive and if you dont like the army then you will have wasted money on something you dont really want to use. You could play test it by playing against your friends with peices of paper representing models (sure its not hitech but if it saves you literally hundreds of dollars who cares) or by borrowing someone else who plays eldar's army.

Against tau eldar can destroy especially if you have a big seer council or striking scorpions becuase they will TEAR through their army, especially the council because with enhance they are ws 5 and alot of tau is ws 2 which means you hit them on 3s they hit you on 5s. Fire prisms also tear through tau infantry, and energy fields screw up their s10 weapon which makes them cry.

Against CSM if you have the right list you can also do alot of damage you wont do as well against tau but thats jsut because csm are marines and therefore more competitive. If you keep everything in serpents and they bring defilers and no oblits then they are in some serious trouble but your seer council and striking scorpions have to watch out for plague marines which will tarpit and destroy them sadly, however banshees can destroy them in return. The thing about csm is there are different ways to play them depending on how you have your army setup, like a khorne list would be easier to beat because you can out maneuver them and they cant catch you to assault you, where as a nurgle list would get difficult seeing as how they are so hard to kill.

I know about those two armies because one of my friends who introduced me to the game played tau and we played alot, and i also play csm.

You can really start at any point zone some people start at 500, i started at 2000 because thats the list i made to start with and most people play 2000 point games and for certain eldar builds like skimmer spam lower points are harder to make lists for because everything we have is expensive as crap (our transports are alittle over 2.5 times as expensive as sm transports, they are better though which is nice)

as for buying the battleforce i would hold off until you find out if your list needs it and then compare the price to the individual units and see if you cave your money or not. I got it because everything in the battle force i now use except for the ww so i saved myself some money.

But yes most important point is to look through the codex, forums and battle reports to see if they are the right army for you. I started with them but many people who start with them quickly give up because of how you have to play them as they are alot more complicated than the various sm flavors.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just a note on the Wave Serpents and Fire prisms. Use magnets on the turrets so that you can switch weapons on the WS and change turret weapons on the falcon/prism.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I would say that harlies are great against tau. The ability of a shadowseer will prevent most kinds of shooting and the huge amount of attacks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
At 500pts I ran this Eldar list when I was first starting

HQ:
Farseer- Doom (80)
Troops:
10 storm Guardians 2 Flamers (92)
Wave serpent- tl EML, Cannon, SS (140)
3 Jetbikes (66)
Heavy Support:
Fire Prism (115)

I know everyone isnt in love with storm guardians like I am (I do play Mech Ulthwe eladr) and with taking the Chin cannon off their wave serpent and using their points for Dire Avengers would work quite well.

This was a good learning list to uses tanks, bikes and the eldar tactics in general

Be warned ive seen people mention fire dragons at 500pts you do not want them its true they murder what they shoot at but at 500pts there are other better units

you mentioned the battle force as well I started with that and if you plan of sticking with Eldar for larger point games buying 2 would be a good choice it would give you

2 Wave Serpents
10 Dire Avengers
20 Guardians (converted mine into storm guardians and on to Guardian Jetbikes)
2 Warwalkers (1 more can be easily gotten off Ebay for a full squad)

most of the units in the Battle force are a good buy but my main advice is proxy first itll save you a lot of problems and money down the road

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow I really appreciate all the help! I'm going to read the codex and make a list this weekend and throw it up on the forums and get it adjusted. Then ill see if my friend won't mind be playing him with paper models...haha!

Thanks once again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts