Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends.

I am starting a Chaos Space Marine army.

I already have played an ultramarine army during last years but i have never played against chaos. I have finally decided to move to Chaos as I like a lot their look and history.

I have now to buy all the minis and paint them.

Please, I would appeciate your HELP and ADVICE on what to buy first to make a balanced and fun 1.500 points list.

My main target is to have casual games and have fun and win from time to time. I prefer a Balanced list with some focus to Close Combat.

Which is an actual chaos balanced list? How i get some focus on Close Combat? Which is your advice on necessary units to start collecting? Lord configuration? Do i should include a Deamon lord? Etc.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

Fran

·
Registered
533 Posts
Try to find a detailed tactics guide with breakdowns for every units in the codex. For CC units your main considerations should be how hard they can hit in combat, how they are going to get to combat and how they combine with the rest of the army. Look at fast units, units you can put in transports and deepstriking units. It would be best to make an army list and post that to get more specific advice.

As an example of a CC heavy CSM/daemons list I'll describe the 1850 list I'm building, which relies entirely on deepstriking to get my threatening units to arrive at the same time and overwhelm the opponent

Units on the table
Level 3 sorceror casting telepathy (for spells like invisibility, shrouding, psychic scream)
10 CSM (two meltas)
8 CSM (flamer)
7 havocs, four autocannons
7 havocs, four autocannons
All of these guys behind an aegis with comm link

Deepstriking units
Chaos lord, termie armour, power axe, power maul, mark of nurgle
5 terminators, mixed weapons
Skarbrand
11 bloodletters, bloodhunter

To increase to 2000 points I'd remove one bloodletter and add a cheap khorne daemon prince. With everything else deepstriking he might just get ignored, but if he gets shot up it doesn't really matter because he isn't expensive anyway

Anyway, as you can see most of the army deepstrikes and ideally all hit the table on turn 2. The idea is so many threatening units appear at the same time that the opponent can't possibly deal with them all at once. At the same time any of the backfield units that had to go to ground to survive earlier can get up and shoot or push on objectives while all the scary stuff is in the opponent's face.

I'm thinking with the game being more shooting dominated these days you need a sound strategy to get your units into combat, but then they shouldn't have to hit super hard if people aren't investing in combat. Post a list and see what people here think!

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Try to find a detailed tactics guide with breakdowns for every units in the codex.
You called? (I shamelessly say, flaunting my only slightly outdated tactica...)

Squire has some good advice when it comes to building combat-leaning lists: having a method of getting there is as important as being able to kill what's there when you arrive. There are lots of shooty armies that will splatter infantry trying to walk up an open field...

Beyond that, experiment! Perhaps proxy things for a game to test them out, if your local gaming store lets you. Try to figure out what legion or chaos god or warband you like the look of...

·
Registered
533 Posts
You called? (I shamelessly say, flaunting my only slightly outdated tactica...)

Squire has some good advice when it comes to building combat-leaning lists: having a method of getting there is as important as being able to kill what's there when you arrive. There are lots of shooty armies that will splatter infantry trying to walk up an open field...

Beyond that, experiment! Perhaps proxy things for a game to test them out, if your local gaming store lets you. Try to figure out what legion or chaos god or warband you like the look of...
I read your guide already- still very relevant despite the changes. I think anybody reading has to weigh up how importance objective secured is to them. Personally I think it's a significant nerf to troops since not all objectives are contested anyway- but then again missions where you can continually score standing on an objective and the slight boost vehicles have makes a bunch of CSM in a rhino more appealing

I think rhino rushing CCW CSM squads becomes more appealing for sure. 8 vanilla guys with bolt pistol/CCW and a melta gun in a rhino with dirge caster is only 159 points, with the unit becoming a little more expensive depending on how you equip the unit leader. 477 for three units before champion upgrades doesn't seem like a bad deal in an 1850+ point army if you have lots of other fast threats. Not a lot of use in a deepstrike list when your opponent get's a turn or two to slag the rhinos before everything else starts dropping in, but maybe there are builds it could work in

1 - 4 of 4 Posts