Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I just recently joined Heresy after a week or so of reading through painting tips and looking at the project logs and such. I'm an amateur hobbyist and painter...and these are my first attempts at painting. I sort of just dove right into it, and I'd like advice and feedback on what I've got so far.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's a good start you made.
I have to agree with OIIIIIIO on the picture part though. It's kinda hard to give feedback when I'm not sure what I see.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, I can't find my regular camera right now (just moved), and those were taken with my phone. I've tried different methods and backdrops, but for some reason it just can't focus in on the close details, but gets great details on the background. I'll try and post more when I find my camera, hopefully it gets better results.

I have finished the Warboss and about 5 or 6 boys, and have another 5 boys about 50% painted. So when I get that camera, I'll have some more progress photo's up.

EDIT: Go figure, the camera was in a box that said 'Camera.' No wonder I couldn't find it. Anyway, here's some much clearer photos of what I've got so far.

The Warboss:

My completed Boyz:

And Boyz in Progress:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been a while since I've really had a chance to paint, and longer since I've had a chance to post progress photos. So...here's continuation of my progress so far. 5 completed Boyz...I believe I posted progress photos of these guys in the previous post.

More to come soon, hopefully...if I can find time to paint.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay...so I realized after my last post that those guys weren't quite complete. So...after some touch-ups, here's what they turned out as, for a completed lot of boyz and my warboss in a group pic.

In addition, I started and finished a Boy with a rokkit launcher, and here he is:

And FURTHER, I tackled one of my Deffkoptas...and here HE is...

The Deffkopta was by far the hardest that I've painted so far...mostly because of myself, because he was fully assembled and, as such, had lots of tiny nooks and crannies to paint that were hard to get to. I'm pretty happy with it though, and might add more orky details to it later, but right now I'm just glad that it's finished. I'm sick of painting on it :security:

·
Señor Member
563 Posts
They look really good mate. Your first attempts at painting shame me.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Nice work so far.

The boyz teef are a bit dental product ad white though, a wash or colour change to a more yellow tone might help a bit.

Great work for a first army, keep em comming.

·
Painter in training
357 Posts
Looking good, one tip for future models might be to thin down your paint as some of the areas look a bit thick.

Keep at it and post more as you finish, again great job for your first army.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Really great start....I am with other when I tell you that my first squad looked like giant blue SM easter eggs....lol!

A couple things mentioned that might help some

1. Try diluteing your paint a little...this will help it cover more evenly

2. Wahes are your friends and can help pick out details and give depth.

3. I love basing so think about how you want your bases to go...this can really help tie units/army together and looks great.

Keep up the great work,
Doc

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with docgeo, Use washes (or wahes as he puts it), they add shading to your model and define muscles and adds the all important rusty look that orks so lovingly crave! Dry brushing works well for rusty effects too!
And thinning out your paints will stop you filling in the detail on the model. It may mean a couple of extra layers off paint but the effect is, once again, worth it!
Overall - Two thumbs up for a newbie! As alot of the Heretics on here will tell you, our first models usually look like they were just dipped in the paint pot. Yours don't. So well done

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice and comments! It's really appreciated. As far as the teeth go, plans are in development for buying more paints/washes, but I'm spending as I need while also trying to build a more workable army out of the AoBR starter set...just ordered a Trukk and added some stuff to 10 Boyz to make them an 'Ard Boyz Nob. A yellow or brown wash is definitely planned for their teeth.

I'll try thinning some to see how that works. Basically, I started off with very few Citadel paints and a few cheap (very thick and hard to work with) acrylics, and am slowly moving away from the cheap stuff. And as far as highlights go, and multiple layers of paint for different colors/shades...ha, well, I haven't experimented that far. About the only layers I do pretty consistently is a coat of Tin Bitz followed by heavy drybrush of Boltgun Metal for rusty weapons and metal bits.

And definitely going to do...-something-...on the bases. Just haven't figured it out yet. Nothing as fancy as some of the amazing stuff on here, with customized poses and lots of green-stuff, but I'm trying to figure out something.

Thanks again for the comments, and more is coming. I've still got 2 Deffkopta's, 6 Nobs, a gretchin squad and about...25 more Boyz to paint. Buh. Oh, and a Trukk...and some Loota's and/or Burna's when I order them...

Damn my brother for getting me into 40k. I used to live a normal life.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, I haven't posted in a while. I've just got some progress photos, on a Trukk and 3 new Boyz.

So...here's the Trukk as it stands right now...probably about 50% or so completed.

<REMOVED DUE TO CRAPPY BLURRINESS>
<REMOVED DUE TO CRAPPY BLURRINESS>
And the driver (minus arms).

And then 3 Boyz in varying states of "I haven't touched them in two weeks" completion.

The major change I've done to my painting on the Orks is using Bleached Bone rather than Skull White for the teeth, and I think it's a much better product on that aspect...other than that...yeah. Mostly I've been working on the Trukk, and being on ebay too much catching too many good deals. I have 5 bikes and a Wartrakk on the way...le sigh.

More to come when I feel like I haven't posted in too long of a time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright...this Trukk has been an absolute trial. I'm NEARLY done...and wanted to post more progress pics, and here they are. I have literally ONLY been working on the Trukk, and it's been driving me slowly insane. I have pretty much convinced myself that I do NOT want a vehicle-heavy army, although maybe vehicles that aren't owned by Orks might be a little less daunting.

Hopefully I'll be done with this (pain in my ass) Trukk later this week, and can get back to painting Boyz.

Side Note: The skull and arrow on the sides are my first true attempts at free-handing some Ork glyphs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I am FINALLY done with the Trukk. I -may- go back and do touch-ups further along down the road, but right now I'm absolutely sick of messing with this thing...and I think it will be the only GW Trukk kit that I'll buy because of all the problems I had with this thing's assembly, especially with the gunner's turret. Any future Trukks will probably be the earlier Trukks, I believe Gorkamorka, that can be had aplenty from eBay. Here's finished photo's. And yes, I know the checkers on the front right grill are screwy...like I said, a future-date.

Also, I appropriated (read: stole) some fine-grain sand from a job-site, and did up my Warboss base...not sure how I feel about it, but it's better than just a plain black base.

Next up is completing some more Boyz, and then trying to acquire a dozen or so space marine shoulder-pads and iron gobs for my 'Ard Boyz. My buddy split AoBR set with me and he took the Marines, made them Dark Angels, and I've mopped them up 3 times so far. So I figure scavenged DA shoulder-pads for my 'Ard Boyz would only be fitting. As it stands, I've got about 20 Boyz, a dozen 'Ard Boyz and a 5-strong Nob Squad to paint, plus 2 bikes and a Buggy that I've got to do some conversions/fixes to the turret.

On that note, I had considered putting a Trukk turret on the Warbuggy...before I assembled a Trukk Turret. Now, I want no part of it. Someone brought up a Battlewagon's grot turret as an idea, one that I'll probably go with...so that'll be in the works.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Looking good on the trukk, i know what you mean with these being a pain in the ass, whilst their stunning models with loads of deatail...that's detail that needs painting. I love the meshing you've done on the windows.
As far as the freehanding goes you've done well for a first try, i'd recomend trying a little highlighting and shading on it to make it pop, especially the flames. Working up from white to bright yellow would give them some real depth, though with orks it's not really necisary, it's not like they're known for their artistic prowess.

I think a truck turret would work well on a warbuggy, i'd advise you paint the parts and then assemble them though. it makes it tons easier.

oh +rep
edit: hmmm seems i repped you recently already and can't untill i've shared it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Grim. I might still do a Trukk turret on the buggy. I'm going to lay off the vehicles though, and get to painting on my Boyz. It'd be nice to get the Boyz all painted. Maybe in a week or so I'll calm down about how much of a pain the turret was, and approach it again for the buggy...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Bleached bone is a much better colour for teef and they don't pop out and draw too mcuh attention. So far, you have good solid colour and the free hand on the trukk is really good, especially since you are new to this.

I much prefer the finer sand to the bigger grained stuff. I find that gluing the sand on before you spray your figures black is the best way. It helps stick the sand to your bases and lets you paint it withought the sand coming off. This is my top tip.

Washes are good. You can use water to dilute them a bit (and paint) to make it easier to paint on models and to achieve different consistencies. To do this you could do with an old plate (I use a food container lid) to mix the water/paint. Only use a little blob to practice with. Paint will dry out so its best to not have too much paint on your pallete.

I'd say washes to go for (if you don't have any already) are thakkara green, devlin mud and badab black. If you paint thakkara into the muscle recesses you will get extra definition on your orks. I'd start on your 'ard boyz as they have more experience (and are darker as they are a bit older) and see if you like them.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts