Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So yeah, I got the codex, a battleforce and a chimera over the past week.

I'm using Cadians, but i'm going to paint them up as a force from the Aurelian Sector, because of the Blood ravens connection (surprise surprise!)

So before I set out on this mad idea, im just seeing if anyone has any advice on starting an IG army. I already have 1 Infantry Platoon from the battleforce, so i have a solid start at least :)

(I guess another reason is that it gives me a genuine reason to get a Baneblade, hehe)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Not an IG Player, But i'm going to wish you Good luck on painting about 50 of exactly the same small model, which only takes up like 1/4 of your army.

Sounds like a chore to me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
muhahaha, the clinically insane one shall speak :)

anywho, it depends on the type of list your going for, leafblower etc..

but personally i reckon you should get a couple of russes/demolishers a valkyrie w/stormtroopers and at least one other platoon along with commisar.

valkyries can harry the flank whilst russes distract heavy fire away from your blob squads whilst dealing a lot of damge, and commisars are just amazing :)

p.s are you also on 40ko? oh and get a baneblade, you can't go wrong ther :)

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Welcome to the mightiest and largest army in the Inperium..I suggest having a look at the countless army builds in the IG Armylists Forum - plenty of ideas on what way to continue your build..Infantry Hoard, Mech or a Hybrid - they all work, just to different degrees, all fun though.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The battleforce can be much more than a lowly platoon, and it depends on what you want to make your army.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I myself am new to the Grand army of the Powerful Guard.

From looks of it, A leman russ battle tank or two wouldn't hurt as well as more platoons.

Hope the army proves Successful :victory:

·
Registered
460 Posts
... only if he wants a mech list. I run an all infantry list and it works fine. He could also go artillery heavy, Valk/Vendetta, or some combination of all or none of those.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Get a couple of meltaguns from somewhere and another chimera. Use the first lot as vets with meltaguns in chimeras and build slowly from there. I am not suggesting a pure mech list but this will get you a legal army that can at least compete before you assemble a hundred troopers or a tank battalion. If you haven't painted guard before remember this. Buy them as you complete the painting of the previous. There is nothing more daunting than a table with 150 grey troopers on it. Believe me I know. Also get a leman russ. The new kit is sweet and has a swag of options, and for versatility the bog standard russ is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i'd recomend at least 1-2 more battleforce. sounds crazy, i know, but 25 men is not enough bodies for the imperial guard.

besides a total of 3 battleforce will net you: 60 generic guardsmen, a command squad and 2 platoon command squads, 3 sentinels (bloomin' brilliant light armour) and a grand ol' helping of 9 heavy weapon teams to add a little flavor and alota punch to your force.

after that, i'd recomend some chimeras, maybe a leman russ. ive been playing guard for a long time now, and am yet to field a leman russ of any form :D not because i dont like them or anything, i'd just rather get 20 more bodies than a single tank :D

p.s. you may have noticed, but ig are one of the most expensive armies you can start, congratulations! youve crippled your wallet! :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First off, cheers everyone :)

I'm aiming for 1500points. (aiming for, since I will end up with more than that, I know it!) Mixed I think.

I have 1000 points roughly decided on, seems to be mostly infantry so far, with a couple of Chimeras and Sentinels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts