Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Starting an Army, please help!

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Cuinlan 
#1 ·
So I've been thinking long and hard about starting up a 40k army, problem is I need advice... I have an old Tau Codex, a box of unpainted/glued Fire Warriors and just my imagination floating around :)

I'd like to start a SM army and eventually compile a tau force, so would buying a battleforce box be worth it? or should I build it up from squad to squad?

Any tips so I don't end up paying a ton of money in one shot? (Paying a ton of money over time is okay though :grin:)

P.S. I have no paints, tools, or current codices... really starting from scratch here lol

#2 ·
Are you wishing to collect both armies at the same time or build one up first them move onto another? My advice would be to pick up the codex for the army/ies you wish to collect and go from there, the battleforces are good for starting out as they give you a core set of troops and only really require the addition of an HQ choice and your'e good to go, Buying the battleforce is generally cheaper as buying each unit individually will cost you a lot more. I would say pick up a battleforce, get it together (painted if you wish) then pick up an HQ choice, you then have your core army and can start choosing which units you would like to add. Hope this is of help.

#3 ·
I would advise reading the Codices and a few articles on the interwebz to see what units and strategies in SM and Tau interest you.
Once you find a theme you like, then start buying models.

Regarding battleforces, if you are interested in Tau, their battleforce is one of the best available in my opinion.

#4 ·
There are exactly 0 armies with bad battleforce boxes. Every single army has a pretty good one, both value-wise and choice-wise. Sure, there are better boxes, but none are bad. If you want to start collecting an army, buy a Battleforce box or two first.

#5 ·
Personally i dont really like the SM battleforce.

The SW one isnt really much better either. I guess it is if you plan to use a Drop Pod, but if you dont then you are better off using the money to buy different stuff.

Oh, and Cuinlan, consider the Assault on Black Reach boxed set.
This will give you quite a bit of stuff, and is much better value for money. Its EXTREMELY good value for somebody new to the game.
Includes the rulebook, dice, templates, SM HQ, tactical squad, dreadnaught, and terminators. Also includes an Ork warboss, 20 boyz, 3 deffkoptas, and 5 nobz, which you can sell to a friend who plays (or is thinking about playing).
All for the price of a standard battleforce.

#7 ·
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp MAIN SITE, click Warhammer 40,000 and find Space Marine and Tau army purchase options.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat440136a&rootCatGameStyle=paints-tools PAINTS::: find brushes, xacto (modeling) knife, paints desired; the basic paint set is a good start, and super glue.

To get a decent start you won't be able to do it for less than $150 usd.

You can find some of these things at your local craft store. I use A C Moore and Michaels for paint brushes, glue, and modeling supplies (knifes, terrain stuffage)

THEN... go to your local gaming store and find out when 40k is happening and who could do some tutorials with you. if you really want to play, you will find you feet.

good luck

#8 ·
Thanks everyone! I'd personally like to start with SM and once that army gets solidified I would fill out my Tau. I've looked at the Assault on Black Reach set and I think I'll start with that and a SM Codex. As far as gaming goes, I'm more interested in the painting/modelling and fluff, but once I get a reasonable sized army (1500 points?) I'd like to try playing a few games and get a bit more competitive.

I've been on this site since last year and just never bothered posting before, so I ALMOST have an idea of whats going on haha

#9 ·
in 5th edition 2000 is a more played point value also AoBR is a brilliant set if you want Vanilla marines just buy it sell the orks buy another sell the orks and rinse and repeat :p

#10 ·
Here's a shot "to buy" list
4 Razorbacks
4 Tac Squads
3 Dreadnoughts
3 Speeders
3 Predators

That will net you enough to run a very competative 2K SM list... oh, get the codex too... From there you can mix and match other cool units (termies, sternguard etc...)

Don't buy the rhino.. for a few bucks more the Razorback kit can be made into a rhino or razorback.

#11 ·
Don't buy the rhino.. for a few bucks more the Razorback kit can be made into a rhino or razorback.
...just don't glue on the turret.

I know it shouldn't need said, but it is useful just in case anyway. If you glue on the turret and you go to a tournament, you never know when some over-zealous tournament organizer won't allow you to play it as a Rhino because it is clearly a Razorback and could be deceptive to your opponent.

#12 ·
hey man, i know you say your more into the fluff and modeling/painting, which being married and having kids, by default i am as well! BUT, play the game, really, it keeps you inspired when you do something significant with your little fellows and playing versus other peoples armies will add to the fantasy of (picture patrick stewart saying..) FLUFF! Inspiring you to expand and like models, terrain, basing, a lot of things you never new to enjoy before expanding yourself. Not to mention local gaming store comradery is great and affirms the hobby to any doubts that will crop up.

cheers

#13 ·
This is all great advice thanks! I'm at college now and I'd want to keep the minis back home until I had enough room in my dorm. Hopefully by Christmas I can squeeze a few bucks out of my parents and then get started with my SMs :p

And should I start with a codex army or with my home brew one? Until I make rules I would just adopt another chapters style

#14 ·
All great advice so far, I started with the AoBR set, took the SM for myself and haven't looked back. As far as codex army versus homebrew, their isn't much difference other than creating your own paint scheme and backstory for the chapter. Enjoy...:grin:

#15 ·
Awesome stuff, I don't think my homebrew ideas are ready to be unleashed on heresy yet, but when they are hopefully it will be good stuff lol

As far as supplies are concerned, I was wondering where I could find some inexpensive paints and glue? and maybe some greenstuff if I'm feeling dangerous :grin:

#16 ·
I would say, the best thing might be to get the "Assault on Black Reach" (if you want to start a SM force), because you get the rulebook, quite a good starting SM army (and some orks as well), templates. Getting glue, some paints and a brush, and a SM codex is the next step. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.