Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This whole allied detachment thing has me very excited! Instead of adding to the army I have already I can start a new army and use it as a allied detachment and if all goes well I'll have a second army to mess around with. The questions what will my allied detachment be?

I'm currently fielding a some what home-brew fluffy Raven Guard successor chapter army, toying with the name "Night Ravens". They're lead by Shrike or a Chaplain w/JP, depending on the game/points. Have Tactical Squads in Rhinos/Razorbacks in the enemies face fast and early. With ASM and/or Vanguard Vets pushing the assault.

Now instead of adding to this army I'd like to start another SM army that's the polar opposite. Tactic, unit/model wise and color scheme as well.

My army is painted like the Imperial Stars http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111217221441/warhammer40k/images/0/09/Imperial_Stars_Armor.png I just have them with white shoulders and gold trim. So I'm thinking something in the orange color range.

What chapter or successor chapter would you suggest? Any unique characters that would fit? Would should I focus on with the allied detachment first unit wise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You need an opposite to stealth tactics and infiltration?

Paint yourself bright yellow and buy a wall!
Join the imperial fists!:grin:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Paint yourself bright yellow and buy a wall!
Join the imperial fists!
Gret's got it. I play Imperial Fists with my Blood Angels army to much success, no reason why your Night Ravens wouldn't enjoy the same sort of relationship. Plus yellow is awesome fun to paint.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking something along the lines of "Dawn Breakers". Where their volley of bolter fire is like the rising sun coming over the crest of the horizon. I'm thinking a yellow/orange color scheme. I probably won't go with straight IF as I like to create my own chapters with SM.

As for what I should field for the allied attachment I'm thinking a straight up SM Captain, a Scout Squad w/Sniper Rifles and a Devastator Squad. That will give me plenty to paint in the new color scheme I decide on. I've also got 5 SM with bolters waiting to paint as well.

What's your thoughts on that as a start?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Dude, all that sounds amazing. Orange is great, and you take advantage of the Tank Hunters CT with the Devastator squad. From a list perspective, what about a Master of the Forge instead of a Captain? You could leave him with the Devastators and bolster the defenses of the camo cloaked scouts for uber cover save-age.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very interesting Idea! Can see that working very well.
I agree with Ntaw, the captain is more of a forward assault guy, but since the rest of his detachment are hanging back in defence, the MOTF will give an added boost. Plus, it gives you a character with a 2+ save, so he can take the brunt of the return fire (looking at you Heldrake/blastmaster) which would otherwise rip through your squad

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This weekend I pick up a Devastator Squad to start painting along with the other 5 SM I already had. For the main armor color I picked Troll Slayer Orange, with an accent color for Yriel Yellow and Lothern Blue to make certain things contrast the main armor color. Really looking forward to trying out this new paint scheme.

I truly never thought about the MOTF idea as an HQ but it makes perfect sense! Just another model to buy and paint... It does kinda ruin my idea of using the Sgt. Telion as make-shift Captain HQ unit. Yes I know he's a Ultramarine unit in scout armor but I thought he'd look cool as a HQ unit. Leading from the rear with the Scout Snipers (my next unit to buy and paint).

So now I'm looking at an allies detachment of MOTF (HQ), Scout Snipers (Troops) and Devastator Squad (Heavy Support). Yet I do have a question. Another 40K player told me the following...

"An army from Codex: Space Marines could not ally with another army from Codex: Space Marines, but that's easy to work around by way of any of the other space marine codices, like DA, SW or BA."

Yes that true? I didn't think it was a problem.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
An army from Codex: Space Marines could not ally with another army from Codex: Space Marines
Utter lies.

ALLIES
A Space Marine detachment chosen from this codex that
has one set of Chapter Tactics may ally with another Space
Marine detachment chosen from this codex that has a
different set of Chapter Tactics (Ultramarines and Raven
Guard, for example). For the purposes of the Allies rules,
these detachments are treated as if they were chosen from
two different codexes and are treated as Battle Brothers.
Note that you may field models from two different Chapters
that have the same Chapter Tactics (such as Ultramarines
and Praetors of Orpheus) in the same detachment- these
Chapters are so closely affiliated that they count as a single
army on the battlefield.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
153 Posts
Heavy duty forward assault (Assault termies) or blitzkrieg assault (Vanguard or drop pods with sternguard combi meltas)

Personally, id blast them into the floor with plenty of ordinanace and harrass squads on the flanks. Run 1-2 vindicators/ TF cannons with 1-2 speeder squadrons or bike squads

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heavy duty forward assault (Assault termies) or blitzkrieg assault (Vanguard or drop pods with sternguard combi meltas)
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here? Are you suggesting that as my "Assault-ish" army?

Assault Terminators were going to be paired with Shrike in my 5th edition army but now they don't work as well with the Raven Guard chapter tactics since they're bulky units and have no jump packs. I already plan on using Vanguard Veterans. The Strenguard Veterans in a Drop Pod is a great alpha strike it just doesn't fit the fluff as well as other options. I'm not restricted by fluff but i'd like to keep somewhat close to it.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
153 Posts
I meant either slow but steady march up field with termies in land raiders. Lysander as HQ option. Either that or vanguard and sternguard troops up either T1 or T2 to alpha strike key enemy positions. Use land raiders and heavy armour as fire suppression until in range to assault. Prefereably assaulting in T2.

Have seen a deathwing force, which seems to be the best combination in this method, but don't like DA personally in 6th. My usual choice is FA troops flying down the board, cover to cover, until reach target, paired with drop pod sternguard squad, but am considering 'mixing things up'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts