Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a short break I'm getting back into warhammer 40k with my Blood Angle army basicly finished (its an aggressive competitive setup) decided to start a new army looked over what has come out and went with Eldar. Figure its going to be 1500 setup with a few extra to mix it up some from time to time, its going to be semi-competitive. Thinking of using Prince Yriel as my main HQ liked his gear and special rules. Was thinking of using Yriel with a unit of Banshees in a Wave Serpent. Also thinking of using a Farseer or maybe a warlocks with a guardian unit. For Troops one guardian squad with a scatter laser bunker-ed in an Aegis Defense Line, squad of dire avenger in a wave serpent and a unit of Rangers. For heavy support some war walkers two squads of two and if any points left over a waithlord. That my current army idea just looking for a little feedback before I write out my first list. Any help is greatly welcome.

Is Yriel worth taking? Any unit combos he works best with? Any reason not to take him?
How many Guardians should I take with the Aegis Defense Line? Currently thinking 15.
Is a Warlock a must take for Guardians?
How effective are Dire Avenger? Should I upgrade the Exarch at all?
How good are War Walkers? Best overall upgrades for all comers list? Flanking them good idea?
Waithlord range, melee or mixed build on upgrades?
On Wave Serpent other then cover save machine upgrade any others worth looking into?
After talking it over with a friend who plays Eldar looks like farseer got hit hard with new codex are they worth taking? If so which Psychic power works overall best?
Overall Howling Banshees look like a great melee unit, any downsides to them?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is Yriel worth taking? Any unit combos he works best with? Any reason not to take him?
Any HQ can be fun. He's gotten SLIGHTLY worse than last edition (used to ignore armor), but definitely still work taking (maybe not in a tournament).

How many Guardians should I take with the Aegis Defense Line? Currently thinking 15.
I'd take no more than 15. Usually 10. However, I suggest using a Dark Reaper/Fire Dragon exarch for fast shot on the Quadgun :)

Is a Warlock a must take for Guardians?
Footdar - yes. Jetbikes, no - IMO.

How effective are Dire Avenger? Should I upgrade the Exarch at all?
Dire Avengers are great - they have some extra range for keeping out of combat (as opposed to guardians), but don't waste points on the exarch.

How good are War Walkers? Best overall upgrades for all comers list? Flanking them good idea?
Warwalkers are great - use dual SLs, still the best combo.

Waithlord range, melee or mixed build on upgrades?
Wraithlords can be anything! I'd personally run either dual BL, BL SL, or SL SL. Sword can be fun!

On Wave Serpent other then cover save machine upgrade any others worth looking into?
Wave serpents shouldn't be anything except Scatterlaser, Shurcannon, Holofields. 145 pts of awesome.

After talking it over with a friend who plays Eldar looks like farseer got hit hard with new codex are they worth taking? If so which Psychic power works overall best?
They got hurt a bit, but can effectively double-guide every turn. I roll on the Eldar table and hope for fortune/doom. If I don't get it, drop to Guide and try again. So I usually end up with Guide + Prescience + random Eldar power.

Overall Howling Banshees look like a great melee unit, any downsides to them?
Eldar don't have assault vehicles. In this codex I avoid melee altogether (except maybe shining spears or jetbike council). T3 with 4+ save will get mowed down before they get into combat.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I second what ew holmes says other than.
Dire avengers are hardly great jetbikes and wraithguard are great, guardians are all right ,dire avengers are better than storm guardians and imo worse than guardians. But then im just bitter cos of the stupid new pricing and reboxing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Amen, seermaster. Luckily I had mine before the repackaging and what, 30% price increase?

The main reasons I think DA are comparable to Guardians are:
- don't get cooked by normal flamers (4+ armor)
- extra range keeps them out of combat quite easily against normal infantry.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We Eldar players really got a boost with the new codex, and now can be quite competitive! I am not sure what you mean by 'semi-competitive', so I will speak to what I think is great to take, given that I believe in speed, long range hitting power, surprise, pressure, and keeping the initiative, among other considerations.

I start with troops, and regularly take both guardians with wave serpents, and guardians on jetbikes. An autarch on a jetbike is a regular HQ choice, and with mantle, fusion gun and lance it can be dangerous.

After that, it depends on what I am expecting to face in blind tournaments. Shining spears (my personal favorite unit, though its lance is weakened somewhat from the previous codex), war walkers, a crimson hunter, and the controversial wraithknight keep coming up in my lists of late. Fire prisms compete for space on my lists with the wraithknight, and lately I have been leaning towards the wraithknight with the scatter lasers/suncannon loadout.

I don't believe that specialized eldar infantry is generally wise to take in blind tournaments, so I just take the generic 10-man guardian squad with a support weapon that complements the army, and a wave serpent transport. Now, many eldar players like warp spiders and harlequins- I guess its a style thing more than a competitive thing. The jetbike guardians provide more in terms of gaming advantages, imho.

Welcome to the path of the Eldar, warlock 5184! Good hunting!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I find there are a lot of unit that are very nice to have in a list. Such things like jetbikes either in 3,6, or 9 with a cannon for each number of 3s u take. ( squad of nine has 3 why a squad of three has 1.)
Other units such as wraithguard in a waveserpent are really good especially with d-scythes. Wraithknights and prism are both excellent heavy supports as big rob mention but dark reapers could do with a fair mention to. With a farseer go with all primaris power for each discipline, so guide, prescience and psychic shriek. This gives double twinlinking and a nasty offensive power. Warps spider and war walkers are other good units depending on the player. If your stuck about what to pick look at ragewinds guide to eldar in the eldar tactics section. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ew holmes when did I say 30 percent price increase ?
I had 20 but chopped ten up for seer council on bikes. Then tried to buy twenty before release and was sent the five man boxes ,needless to say I sent them back and got a redfund.
And jetbikes wraithguard serpant are too good not to take really.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
First off thanks to everyone for their feedback gave me some info to work with. Planned to post sooner but work gave me some over time :). Here what I come up with comments, criticism welcome.

HQ -
Prince Yriel 140pts Joins Banshees

Farseer 105pts Joins Dire Avengers
(Singing Spear) Not sure on all Powers yet one will be Prescience

Warlock 40pts Joins Guardians
(Singing Spear)

Elites -
Howling Banshees 120pts with Wave Serpent 145pts
(6 Models, Exarch Disarming Strike & Shield of Grace) (Holo-Fields, TL Scatter Laser, TL Shurkien Cannon)

Troops -
Dire Avengers 130pts with Wave Serpent 145pts
(10 Models) (Holo-Fields, TL Scatter Laser, TL Shurkien Cannon)

Guardian Defender 110pts
(10 Models, Scatter Laser)

Ranger 120pts
(10 Model)

Heavy Support -
War Walker Squadron 180pts
(3 Walker)

Wraithlord 165pts
(Ghostglaive, Scatter Laser, Blight Lance)

Fortification -
Aegis Defense Line 100pts
(Quad-Gun)

Total: 1500pts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Did some more research, bounced ideas off some friends rewrote list thoughts, comments, criticism welcome.
HQ -
Prince Yriel 140pts

Farseer 105pts
(Singing Spear, Presciene & Guide then roll for offence power depending on opponent)

Warlock 40pts
(Singing Spear)

Elites -
Wraithblades 160pts with Wave Serpent 135pts
(Ghostaxe & Forceshield) (Holo-Fields, TL Scatter Laser)

Troops -
Dire Avengers 130pts with Wave Serpent 145pts
(10 Models) (Holo-Fields, TL Scatter Laser, TL Shurkien Cannon)

Guardian Defender 110pts
(10 Models, Scatter Laser)

Ranger 120pts
(10 Model)

Heavy Support -
War Walker Squadron 140pts
(2 Walker, Scatter Laser x2 each)

Wraithlord 165pts
(Ghostglaive, Scatter Laser, Blight Lance)

Fortification -
Aegis Defense Line 100pts
(Quad-Gun)

Total: 1500pts

Prince Yriel & Wraithblades main role melee counter
Farseer & Dire Avengers claim mid field objective
Warlock & Guardian Defenders deploy in Aegis Defense Line Anti-Air, hold deploy zone objective, range support
Rangers infiltrate on objective or position for best range support which ever seem best on deployment
War Walker flank support
Wraithlord support other units as needed

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good list. I'd suggest dropping Dire Avenger Exarch (no real gain here, not even Ld), and maybe drop the Wraithblade Wave Serpent's shuriken cannon. Those 20pts means you can upgrade the warwalkers to having Scatter Lasers. more than the 4 extra shots (and loss of rending), you gain 12" range. This should keep your warwalkers outside of the bolter range of anything, which will keep them alive that much longer.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea add Exarch on Dire Avenger mainly because I had 10 extra points didn't know what to do with them. :) That not a bad idea on the Scatter Laser on War Walkers ew_holmes would rather not take anything off wave serpents maybe drop singing spear on farseer and warlock instead along with Exarch to get the points, good bad idea?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd keep the 2 spears. 2 S9 throws are better than 3 S6 shots, IMO, and it gives some anti-tank to your 2 troop units.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
After looking over everything going to keep the spears, drop the Wraithblade Waveserpent skuriken cannon and exarch to get the points for the scatter lasers on war walkers. Think I want a Fast Attack unit just to round out my Eldar force looking at a squad of Vypers with at least the halo-field upgrade not sure on weapons yet or a squad of Warp Spiders. Vypers remind me of Land Speeders guessing they are used the same way? On the Warp Spiders if I took them any must have upgrades or squad numbers?

·
Registered
358 Posts
warp spiders are nice, swooping hawks i think are much better in the codex for there anti tank and ablity to get anywhere. i have been running a 5 man shining spear unit in alot of my games thats worked nice but if u have the points no1 fast attack in codex crimson hunter (exarch) this thing rules if u dont have the point maybe drop a few rangers .
all of these i belive are better than vipers i realy dont rate them and they have never worked for me

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't agree regarding Swooping hawks > Spiders. Against AV14 they are obviously more effective, but overall I find Spiders (S7 vs vehicles) will dominate any tank in their way, and ALSO have psuedo-rending, so are great for MCs, even TEQ.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Planning on getting a starter box which has a vypers but Im leaning to the Warp Spider like the 6+2d6 warp jump and there weapons are cool too. Think I just going to get ten total run at least 6 to 8 Exarch upgrades depend on unit size. Trying to stay away from flyers since I use the Stormraven also I want to make a Eldar looking Aegis Defense Line thinking right now I can use the vyper turret setup along with the a guardian weapon platform to build the gun with a war walker front shield/window to use a hud display not sure if i want to do clear "shield" wall or solid ones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts