Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I just took the plunge and bought the Blood Angels Battalion and BA Codex. I'm new to 40k, having always played fantasy Empire and Ogres.
I would like some advice on how to equip the Marines and Rhino. I like to have my army as WYSIWYG so I would appreciate comments before I start building and painting. Also, what other units should I consider buying?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi everyone.

I just took the plunge and bought the Blood Angels Battalion and BA Codex. I'm new to 40k, having always played fantasy Empire and Ogres.
I would like some advice on how to equip the Marines and Rhino. I like to have my army as WYSIWYG so I would appreciate comments before I start building and painting. Also, what other units should I consider buying?
BA are a great army to play and they are a lot of fun fluff wise. the best advice i can give you on other units to buy is to first figure out is you want to build an army centered more around fluff or from what you think is cool. If your going for fluff then you'll need some death company and some sanguinary guard. Most player i have seen run BA also do either Tycho or Dante along with the ever present furioso. If you're wanting to play what you think is cool then do just that. Personally i've always thought the Baal Predators look much better than the run of the mill predators that other chapters have. Its worth keeping in mind that your best and most versatile asset is always going to be your tactical squads. (i personally have about 6 that i can field at any time). they can be adapted to suit almost any situation. Im sure some of the other BA Players will chime in in know @ntaw has some really good insights as he has been playing BA for a long while.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Shucks, Swede. I'm at work and can't type too much on the phone (out of frustration, really :laugh:) but by battalion do you mean battleforce? Ie. The one that comes with an assault squad, tactical squad, 5 death company, and a rhino.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You don't need to replace them. Using models with the bases they're provided with is cool, the BRB even backs that up.
agreed. Its not really needed. All of my marines are on "standard" 25 mm bases. Chances are ill be upgrading to 32 mm at some point but not until i get my main force all the way ready. or buy boxes where 32mm is sthe standard base size it comes with.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I like to model my guys a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). so i tend to build each box i get differently. Initially id say start with a solid troop base (3 tactical squads) and equip a mix of AT an anti infantry weapons. Missle launchers are nice and cheap and can handle most situations. Heavy bolters are not bad choices either (most people would argue this , its a personal taste thing for me). Plasma cannons give a good mix of firepower and helps ignore alot of armor. One thing is to give each of your sergeants a combi weapon. It can be really useful if you're in a pinch and need to try and kill that land raider rolling towards you to disgorge a bunch of angry terminators. or stop a mob of orks charging you. i also like power swords on my sergeants.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
So do you use magnets or just build extra combinations?
personally i build extra combinations. but i have around 60 tactical marines and more unassembled. many people use magnets on their special troops there are some good tutorials for this out there.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Woo! Done work, showered and have a beer. Now for some Blood Angels...

When I got back into 40k a few years back I bought two of the boxes you (ivandegi) bought. It gave me a smooth core of troops: 10 man DC, 10 man Assault squad, 2x 10 man Tactical squads in Rhinos. Granted now that isn't all Troops, but it's still a great place to start. Keeping it to one box since that's what you have:

Tactical squad - I tend to stick with Meltas as my special weapon of choice. Plasma weapons are great and I do have some models made up with them, but ultimately I like that Meltas don't try and kill the user. Recently I joined up with an escalation league, and I have been loving having them equipped. If I had more Combi-Meltas I would put them on the sergeant as well. It's exceptionally rare for me to put Flamers here, now that we have access to Heavy Flamers I likely never will again. Melta/Heavy Flamer makes this guy pretty happy, with the optional Combi-Melta on the sergeant if the points/strictness of WYSIWYG allows. I have been playing 5 man squads in Razorbacks recently and they've been doing well, but can't wait for higher points games so I can get back to 10 man squads in Rhinos.

Assault squad - I pretty much have two load-outs here, either 2x Meltas with an optional Power Sword/Fist on the sergeant or 2x Flamers with 2x Hand Flamers on the sergeant. Again my exclusion of Plasma comes from a long history of Gets Hot! and my Blood Angels (even my army as a kid!). Key thing to love about this Codex is that you can do either load-out with 5 guys only! Nice. I know you don't have that many special weapons just yet, but one of any of those weapons will do just fine in the interim.

Death Company - Love these guys, even with their 'normal' stat line now. I'm pretty much always playing them with Jump Packs because they're cheap as all hell and make my DC move faster and sometimes hit harder (with Hammer of Wrath). I've always loved them though, even in the last edition. A lot of people like going the Bolter route with them, but I think they belong in CC instead of shooting. PLUS it really friggin' sucks when you kill the dudes your crappy charge range roll would have made it to. Ultimately the BP/CCW or Boltgun route is up to your play style I think, though I never take any shooting upgrade for them. All my Hand Flamers are on Assault sergeants, plasma can go to hell, and the Infernus Pistol is a glorious waste of time (though still absolutely hilarious used with Gunslinger on Assault sergeants)...plus I'd rather cut my enemy up of course. I used to run Power Swords, then found myself lacking AP2 so I switched to Axes. Nowadays, I'm running a sole Power Fist in the squad to level the playing field against vehicles (specifically walkers).

While I'm a large fan of magnets, I never use them on infantry. The hours I spend on posing the models I put together is almost entirely wasted when a magnet is involved; I would rather just buy another Tactical box and make up some alternately armed models. Every vehicle I own is riddled with them though.

What are you thinking you want to run as your HQ option?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the detailed info! this is what I really needed to know.
I'm a total noob so this is all Greek to me. Next Saturday I'll be receiving a mini rulebook and have my first demo game.

On another topic, Do you generally paint the whole marine assembled, or do you paint the arm covering the chest on the sprue?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.