Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here's my AoBR Army all painted up. This is my time painting mini's as all my previous experience is with model cars (and not very well I might add!) Thanks for looking :grin:

Edit: I figured out to remove the first set of pics

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmm...well that didn't work as planned. Gonna try loading them usingIMG Code instead so I can comment on eaach picture.

1st of complete army...had to use flash as I couldn't get to my desk lamp at the time.

Dreadnought - this is the first model I finished, the large areas made learning to control my movements for fine detail easier to learn on. I did not undercoat this one CB as I didn't know to do that yet. LOL

heres the Cpt, finished him last as I knew the qunatity of detail would be very challenging even with basic techniques. I did undercoat him CB, unfortunately I didn't realize I had bought gloss white and red, which forced me to put on lots of coats just to get coverage. He looks pretty good from 5'.

The Termies.....fairly easy as I did them mostly after the Tac Squad, I plan to put the paiting bones tips to use on them first when I can get all the different colors/washes etc to try it.

The Tac Squad with close ups.... the weapons could all use work, as I simply dry brushed cheap Tamiya silver over flat black. Edging the shoulder pads with Gold and the white arrow proved to be very challenging for me as I don't have the steadiest hands.

All in all, I'm pretty proud considering it was my first attempt and I was almost done painting by the time I found this forum.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nicely painted. one thing the face of you're capt, when you get the chance tanned flesh over it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
not bad besides these guys are you practicing peices until you get real models. i remember my AoBR set damn hard to believe that was 2 years ago. yea mine looked like shit but i paint decent now. yea check out the army painter they have some easier way to paint 1 tone colored models like ultramarines. but yea dont forget you have a seed of hatred planted in you that wants you to go Chaos. slap some red X's on those imperial symbols and go red chorsairs

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not bad besides these guys are you practicing peices until you get real models. i remember my AoBR set damn hard to believe that was 2 years ago. yea mine looked like shit but i paint decent now. yea check out the army painter they have some easier way to paint 1 tone colored models like ultramarines. but yea dont forget you have a seed of hatred planted in you that wants you to go Chaos. slap some red X's on those imperial symbols and go red chorsairs
After glancing through the CSM codex, it's got more than I want to deal right now while to learn the basic game. Keep in mind, I'm having to learn the game plus all the SM and Ork special stuff due to teaching my son. He's autistic and reading is NOT his thing, but I figured since he LOVES chess, if I can get him past the steep initial learning curve he would excel. :wink:

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
One thing is for sure... You are good at painting a solid blue, and I am not... Has something to do with my hate towards anything related to the smurfs...

I loved the Dreadnought man, it was awesome!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
After glancing through the CSM codex, it's got more than I want to deal right now while to learn the basic game. Keep in mind, I'm having to learn the game plus all the SM and Ork special stuff due to teaching my son. He's autistic and reading is NOT his thing, but I figured since he LOVES chess, if I can get him past the steep initial learning curve he would excel. :wink:
damn thats got to be a challenge having a boy with autism, wel one of my cousins is autistic he dosent play 40k but he is really good at remembering things he can resight the whole harry potter movie the sorcerers stone from start to finish without the movie playing in the background. crazy huh. he is really good at playing the piano too. but yea i know his parents have a lot of patience which im sure you do as well. well thats cool that you choose 40k to play im sure he will enjoy it. what does he think about it now does he like it a lot. i have a shit ton of black reach ork if you want them 5 nobs a war boss and a ton of boys ive collected. if you want i could ship them too you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
He loves it so far, his problem is he HATES reading which means I am in essence learning WAAAGH! lore as well :biggrin:. Saturday night he was getting pretty frustrated with the sheer amount of rules as I was adding morale checks, AP, etc to our game. He wasn't too happy to discover that he had to keep his boys in 2 mobs, as the 1st couple games he was running them in packs of 5.

I'm going to get him colored note cards today so we can put all the stats for each model of a different color card to make it easier for him to find his important stats without having to constantly refer to the book. Luckily he is extremely smart, he aced his 5th grade science assessment test, so I expect him to get it all eventually.

We're getting there, he is hugely fascinated with the military (I am prior Air Force) and he is always wanting to play military games, he loves when go on base so he can the tanks/choppers.

Thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
One thing is for sure... You are good at painting a solid blue
Gotta agree here. A bit more attention to detail is needed, and the washes will really help you out a lot, but your colours are strong and your painting is pretty neat, so you're definitely on the right track.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
This is the most frightening thing that I have read on the forums. My Aunt Penny's son Mikey is autistic and his intelligence scares the shit out of me. I watched him fix a radio that stopped working. Something was wrong with the electrical board inside and he knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix it. If your son likes chess, then once he understands the rules ... get ready to lose every game, because you will. Have fun.:eek:k:

Oh and one more thing ... you might want to download a program called photoscape. It is free and it works well for pictures of minis.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah I'm pretty used to losing around here, my wife and son can wipe up anyone in chess, he's been pretty good at it since he was about 5. Talked him about it again today and he was all for it until I mentioned reading some entries in the Ork codex at which time he tuned out :headbutt:

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
yeah I'm pretty used to losing around here, my wife and son can wipe up anyone in chess, he's been pretty good at it since he was about 5. Talked him about it again today and he was all for it until I mentioned reading some entries in the Ork codex at which time he tuned out :headbutt:
My cousin is autistic, he also doesn't like reading. But, he is fantastic at maths (probably due to his memory), I would say give him a few games, and like Chess he may pick it up quickly. Just let him use the codex how its meant to be (you might want to memorise it yourself). That way he is learning the way you're meant to, and if he, like my cousin, has a fantastic memory, then he should should have grasped it in no time :). Mind you, if he does, you're in for an ass whooping ;). So, I think what I'm trying to say, is don't make him read the entries out of the gaming environment, you really just need him to keep the summary section open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts