Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoilers alert for path of the warrior.

Just finished "path of the warrior" and was struck by it's similarity in parts to, ironically enough, starship troopers.

You have a main charachter with no interest in the military initially but decides to join up motivated partly by a love interest. (Rico was going to go to college but joined the mobile infantry, Korlandril was a sculptor before becoming a striking scorpion)

Said charachter rises, with rediculous speed, up the chain of command despite being one of the most ineperienced members of the squad. (Rico first becomes a squad leader after just two battles then company commander after three, Korlandril becomes an exarch after just two battles and then a phoenix lord after three kinda)

Once rejected by old love interest who joined a more prestigious order main charachter begins to fall for a more lowly "rank and file" trooper, who gets killed. (Carmen joined the fleet and Rico pursued Diz before her, gory, death, Thirianna joined the farseers and Korlandril pursued Ellisandrin before her, gory, death.

Charachter is reunited, frostily, with initial love interest in the heat of battle towards end of novel.

Generally the layout is similar, large amount of novel is in relation to "civillian" stuff and training before we are pitched into numorous short conflicts broken up by periods of down time followed by an inconclusive ending.

Not a BAD read but not very original.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's composed of the Arch-heretic Goto's deluded ramblings. Report to your nearest Inquisitorial facility for mind-cleansing and testing for taint.

:p

Seriously, Goto's stuff is dubiously canon at best.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
honestly trying to find a truly original storyline is close to impossible nowadays. everything's been done. the only way to make an old story original is the telling of it. that style of story has been done countless times, starship troopers took it from somewhere else, and they took it too. it always happens. good brief overview though you got the majority of the story pretty much dead on :)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
It's composed of the Arch-heretic Goto's deluded ramblings. Report to your nearest Inquisitorial facility for mind-cleansing and testing for taint.

:p

Seriously, Goto's stuff is dubiously canon at best.
Path of the Warrior is Gav Thorpe.

Not Goto.

Even a book of Gav's shopping lists would read better than Goto.

Gav has good continuity.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps I was unfair actually with the "not very original" part. I should point out that, in fairness, Path of the Warrior is original insofar as it gives an insight into the cultural workings and nuances of a race other than the humans and in this regard is probably worth reading.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I will agree with that although I found that Korlandril moved off Elissandrim swiftly after the second battle as he becomes more focused on his bloodlust.

I think the biggest moment/surprise was knowing what Bechareth was once an Incubi!
I also want to see why Arhulesh was so serious when Korlandril mentioned the harlequins.

All in all it makes a good read and I cannot wait to see Thirianna's fate in path of the seer and Aradryan's fate in path of the outcast.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the biggest moment/surprise was knowing what Bechareth was once an Incubi!
I also want to see why Arhulesh was so serious when Korlandril mentioned the harlequins.

All in all it makes a good read and I cannot wait to see Thirianna's fate in path of the seer and Aradryan's fate in path of the outcast.
Bechareth's secret was an awesome twist.

It was more the little things that impressed me; I liked the way they showed how aspect warriors aren't really regarded all that well and seen as a necessary evil rather than heroes and that guardian squads are militia not troops, in Alaitoc anyway.

So I probably will pick up the sequel.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I personally thought it was a mistake to use a major craftworld as a setting. The 5 major craftworlds have too many traits that do not often show through. For example I did not find the characters in this book to be strictly regimented as Alaitocii are supposed to be. I did like how they kept mentioning the rangers as their reconnaissance unit. I also thought it a little overdramatic that the craftworld itself got invaded by the imperium. The assault seemed lacklustre and if a real assault happened I imagine the imperium would have committed more marines and a much larger fleet. Perhaps it would have been better to use a less known craftworld like Yme-Loc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts