Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have skimped on these and read elsewhere that they are not worth taking. But I get the feeling that the extra 12" of movement would come in incredibly handy in all sorts of situations (I mainly play Daemons so it's not simply a case of rolling up to a unit and unloading, quite often I'm having to race away from monstrous creatures with fleet whilst also making sure I stay far enough away from a unit which has 40 rending attacks on the charge).

Does anyone use star engines?

Daemons should have a hard time vs vehicles but actually lots of their units are capable of taking them down. Daemonettes have rend+fleet and have a lot of attacks, they will dispatch a Wave Serpent with ease even if they hit on 6's - if they charge they're still going to get 5-6 rends, so a couple of penetrating hits). Bloodletters are S5 on the charge so can glance all Eldar vehicles + also have lots of attacks. Flamers can cause tons of glances and ignore the cover saves on the vehicles which they rely on to survive. On top of this they have lots of very fast monstrous creatures and S8 shots. So unless you spend the whole game zipping from one side of the board to another trying to avoid them, one mistake will be very costly. Am I right?

·
Registered
632 Posts
star engines are a great invention, i tend to use them when i need to contest a objective in the last few turns or to get out of trouble and into cover to save from being dhot up. Yea keep doing what you do against deamons because they will rip your lightly armoured tanks apart if given the chance to assault them. They have so many uses to help keep your tanks up and running and to keep you out of trouble, so yea they are a good thing to take and yes i do use them alot

·
4,491 Posts
I dont think they are worth it.

Its like having a 12 inch cock, and cutting off your hand to trade with God for an extra 6 inches.
At the end of the day its going to do the job the same way regardless, and the extra length is never put to use anyway.

Basically, i think keeping your armies "hand" is a lot better than wasting the resources on extra length to the massive cock that is the Eldar skimmers.

(Yes, Space Elves love the cock lol)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Kingofcheese, I will die a happy man if you never present a metaphore in that way ever again.

Ever.

EVER.

:laugh:

I use Star Engines for my assault-orientated armies in order to get them exactly where I need to go (Warlocks, Banshees, Storm Guardians) but I generally skip them in favour of chin cannons on my competitive lists.

My solution to Daemons is simple; Drive up to a unit and Doom it. Then bladestorm. Twice. Rinse and repeat while shooting the Soul Grinders with heavy weapons. :)

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
To be honest I do not use Star engines because (thinking along tyranid lines here) I only buy upgrades that makes the unit better at its job. Naturally I use a wave serpent and falcon and the main job is to whittle down enemies with long range weapons before rolling up a flank and unloading avengers and fire dragons to cause mayhem. Therefore there is not a need for an upgrade that does not involve my vehicles shooting. I used to use star engines when I could have a crystal targeting matrix but since they did away with those I do not.

For survivability I prefer holo fields anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts