Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a quick and easy-to-answer question, I'm sure. I have seen at least four different references in various threads here that refer to an 8th edition rule where only units having a standard bearer can claim objectives. Most of the threads that mention this rule then go on to say something to the effect that half of the current tournament scenarios use objectives when determining a victor.

I can't find ANY reference to this rule ANYWHERE in the BRB. I don't see it in the standards discussion, nor can I see any reference to it in the scenario rules outside of the one mission where you use standards to calculate fortitude (I think it's mission number 4). Can someone point me in the right direction? The specific reason I ask is because I certainly don't want to pay for standards on my High Elf archer units if I don't have to, but if I can use them to objective-sit in tourneys, then the 10 points is certainly worth it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
596 Posts
In a quick glance at the rulebook, I note that none of the six scenarios in the rulebook actually use objectives. I think the requirement to have a standard to claim an objective was one of the rumors for 8th edition. :search:

Of course, whether or not tournaments put in the statement "A unit must have a standard to claim an objective" in a scenario description is completely independent of anything that's actually in the rulebook.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I understand the VP's-for-captured standards rule. Going along with what Solkan suggested, yes- I know FOR SURE that there was a rumor before 8th ed came out that units would need standards, and I think that that is what is causing the confusion on the threads here. As I said, I have read several times on Heresy now in the past couple of weeks that standards are required for capturing objectives, but I can't find it written down anywhere.

Does anyone out there remember seeing Throne of Skulls, Rogue Trader tourney, 'Ard Boyz, or some kind of Warhammer World campaign rules that suggested it? One of those is where I would suspect something like this to crop up.

Thanks again for the replies and for any help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I know that there is one scenario (Blood and Glory, page 148) that if you loose you're banners, you lose the battle. But I have seen nothing that states you have to have banners to claim objectives. I do not think I have even seen any objectives based scenarios in the new book (the one above is the only one, I think).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's ANOTHER example of what others are saying that is what I am talking about; I just found this reference in a thread about musketeers over in the WHFB tactics forum:

Spear and Shot (supported by pistoliers, outriders, and war machines) is certainly a viable build. You do need those combat troops though. A pure blackpowder army would suffer in 8th due to move or fire in the objective based missions (pistoliers can't claim objectives since they don't have standards)
WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM??!! HELP PLEASE!! :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts