Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how Stand and Shoot reactions work with template and blast shooting attacks, since the BRB is very vague on the topic.

The problem is that the shooting is done without moving the charging unit, and it says that you work out shooting as if it was at the maximum range of the shortest range weapon. If the charging unit is outside the range of a template weapon that can stand and shoot (i.e. a Flying unit that charges a Warpfire Thrower), how would you work out the attack?

Anyone have any good solutions?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I would assume that you resolve the attack at the furthest possible point that the template can reach, for example with a flamer template then you resolve the hits as soon as a member of the charging unit could be hit by the template, which ought to let you hit about 3 standard infantry models if charged head on by an infantry block.

It's even MORE unclear with regards to Warpfire throwers, because they have random range, which doesn't help... Have you checked the FAQ? (Long shot, I know)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've looked everywhere I could think to look, including the Skaven and BRB FAQ. It's quite a gray area.

·
Dark Knight
985 Posts
in the Skaven FAQ
its saids

Q. What range is used for a Warpfire Thrower's Stand and Shoot reaction?

A. As the Warpfire Thrower has no fixed range, it is considered to have a maximum range equal to the length of the template plus the maximum roll on the artillery dice (i.e. 18”).

l dont know about other template weapons l whould check your army's FAQ

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in the Skaven FAQ
its saids

A. As the Warpfire Thrower has no fixed range, it is considered to have a maximum range equal to the length of the template plus the maximum roll on the artillery dice (i.e. 18”).

l dont know about other template weapons l would check your army's FAQ
Yes, I see that, but that still doesn't answer my original question of how you resolve stand and shoot reactions if the charging models start outside the "max range". I can see how with the Warpfire Thrower example, if you don't roll a 10 on the artillery die, the shot will miss, and since nothing else should lie between the two units, its not going to affect anything on the miss.

But here is a more convoluted, but not unheard of scenario. Say, Ikit Claw (who has a warpfire thrower) is in the same unit as a Warlock Engineer with a Warplock pistol (10" range). The stand and shoot reaction would happen at the assumed distance of 10", but if you don't move the charging unit to the appropriate distance like the BRB says, how would you legitimately work out the warpfire shot? The effectiveness of the warpfire thrower is very dependent on the positioning of the unit it is firing upon.

P.S. My gaming group has come up with an acceptable house rule to handle situations like these, but I'm just curious to see other gamers solutions.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yeah, there is basically bugger all point in standing and shooting with a template weapon, and even less with a warpfire thrower... unless the enemy are already well within your template range.

If you stand and shoot with a template that isnt already in range you cannot possibly hit more then 2 enemy models, and even that is unlikely: since you hit as soon as they are in range and the front of the template is curved you'll only hit 2 if the closest possible point as the unit advances is the joint between 2 models (but if you were being strict with the maths it could only ever be 1... but this is a game so I think we can ignore that).
I would certainly never stand and shoot with a warpfire that isnt in range already (quite likely though) because its a 1in6 to hit 1-2 enemies, and a 1in6 to misfire...

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I would say the Template fires when it is in "maximum range" and the pistol fires at 10". The strange part is if the charge fails, they still fire at the charging unit!

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I would say the Template fires when it is in "maximum range" and the pistol fires at 10". The strange part is if the charge fails, they still fire at the charging unit!
Im a bit confused there, but Im tired and thats easy to do.... if you are talking about a unit with multiple different ranges then you fire at the longest range of the shortest ranged weapon. Eg a unit of thunderers with champ with pistols fires at the max range of the pistol, so everyone else gets to S&S at short range.
I do love the 'pinging' of failed charges though: a fast cav ubit charges my gnoblars at a range of 20" (needing to roll an 11 to get in), I stand and shoot at range 8" and then the fast cav roll triple 1. In effect the unit just moved 12" forward, got shot and then retreated 11" away again :p doesnt really make a lot of sense, but is quite funny to imagine

·
Registered
324 Posts
A) In the case of a warpfire thrower standing and shooting from a unit with a warplock pistol you fire at 10". Moral of the story, don't set yourself up for this.

B) in the case of the Gnoblar S&S, How do you get this result? The rules state that you stand and shoot at the point the charge begins, or when the unit gets into max range. If the charge fails and the unit never gets within max range there is no shooting. The gnoblars just heave a collective sigh of relief.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Because you stand and shoot instantly as a reaction, and do so at max range of the weaponry you have... you do this before the charge happens (and then other charges are declared). The charge distance being rolled happens as an entirely seperate step, the rulebook even spells out that you always get your stand and shoot reaction...

·
Registered
442 Posts
i would say you roll the artillary as soon as you declare a stand and shoot reaction and as soon as they touch the template you resolve the shot hope that helps

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

So if shooting alone, a Warpfire thrower is terrible for standing and shooting unless the charging unit is within 18".

That's not so bad, as very little is realistically going to charge from outside this distance apart from flyers.

If they charge from inside 18", I assume you resolve the shot normally by rolling the Artillery dice and moving the template as normal. Anything the template touches is hit.

It gets even better though if a model with a pistol could shoot at the same time with a 10" range because that would force the enemy to stop and be shot at more or less the Warpfire Throwers optimal kill zone, even the minimum roll of 2" is going to hit a model or two, and anything more than that is going to hit a lot more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I honestly don't think that the template will reach most cases, but ya, resolve at the furthest end. or, if your playing outside of tourneys with friends, maybe say 2 or 3 guys are hit in front, just to compromise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts