Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Executive Nitpicker
8,272 Posts
Attack Bikes are best solo, IMO.

But if you don;t have enough FA slots to spread them out, then I would suggest units of 3, to make them more robust.

If you go with two then yes, losing one bike makes you take last man standing checks, but the unit is still scoring (unless it's falling back)

I would suggest swquads of 3 for Heavy Bolter bikes, and solo units for Multimeltas.

· Executive Nitpicker
8,272 Posts
If you;re fielding Codex Marines then yeah, just buy Speeders.

Attack Bikes aren;t super great in C:SM

· Executive Nitpicker
8,272 Posts
If you fail LMS you dissappear completely without any chance to regroup.
According to P49 of the BBB, if you fail your LMS check you begin to Fall Back.

And with ATSKNF, you automatically pass LD checks to regroup, are allowed to regroup if you're under 50% (but not if out of cohesion or if an enemy is within 6"), and you can move normally

So, for all intents and purposes, doesn't this make Marines immune to LMS?

Seriously, you pass your LMS, you move and fight nomrally. You fail, you begin to fall back. This is determined at the start of your turn.

Now, at the beginning of your movement phase, a unit that's Falling Back gets to try to regroup, (before they make their fallback move). So if you automatically regroup and are allowed to move normally afterwards, then the end result of failing your LMS check is...getting to move and shoot nomrally.

So, come to think of it, LMS isn;t a big deal.

Edit:
Whoopsie. It seems the SM codex (and the BA codex) explain that in addition to the regular ATSKNF rules, that SM are still subject to LMS, and that they regroup *after* their fall-back move. But it doesn't say that you're not allowed to move after your fall-back move (since regrouping happens at the start of your move phase, presumably your fallback move happens before that), so you can try to recover the ground you lost

So a solo biker who fails his LD test would fall back 3d6" (mathematical average of about 11.5"), and then regroup and move 12" (or turbo-boost), presumably back the way he fell back.

So LMS IS a problem, but mainly in that you're going to be burning all your movement just getting back to where you started.

· Executive Nitpicker
8,272 Posts
And don't forget you can still move after you regroup (thanks to ATSKNF) so you fall back, then you can move or turnbo-boost back to where you want to be.

It slows you down, but there's no real danger of a bike fleeing off the board unless he was close to the edge

Still best to avoid it by either going solo (multimeltas) or groups of 3 (heavy bolter)

Or just buying cheap AC speeders

· Executive Nitpicker
8,272 Posts
I'm not at all sure you can move after you regroup in this situation.

Normally you can do what you like if you fall back due to enemy action in your opponent's turn. You regroup in their turn at the end of your fall back move and begin your turn not broken, so you can act normally.

However in this case you are falling back and regrouping in your own turn. As a result you end up being able to do the same kind of things that any other unit which regrouped in its turn. As I understand it you get a 3" consolidate type move, you can fire (counting as having moved I think, since you did) and you can assault, but you don't get a standard move or turbo boost.

That makes sense to me. You would be moving twice in the turn otherwise. It doesn't seem right at all that a unit could fall back 3d6" and then turbo boost 24". It would have to go very fast for that to work.
As far as I know, you CAN move back into position after regrouping in a LMS situation (with marines)

The LMS check takes place at the *beginning* of *your* turn.
You fail, you immediately fall back.
Then the rest of your turn begins.
At the start of your Movement phase you automatically regroup (Regrouping happens in your move phase, which is after the beginning of your turn since it's part of your normal turn). Whereupon ATSKNF clearly states the marine does not count as having moved and can then proceed to move normally.

The special note in the SM codex only says that Marines are not immune to LMS and that they regroup after their fall back move. It never says that they are not allowed to move.

So unless there's someone riding his ass and keeping him from regrouping, he CAN move back int position.

Whether it makes sense or not is secondary to the fact it;s the rules.
Call it adreneline

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.