Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

Just getting into X-Wing.
This weekend will be my 3rd gaming session.
Going Imperial :)

We decided to do 1 game of 150pts and hopefully 1/2 100pt games.

What do you think of my squads?
Have 2 150pts ones I am working on atm.
And 3 100pts ones.
{ I may be going a bit nuts with Army Builder :) }

Squad 1] Vaders Blood Wing
Vader: TAdv [46]
--- TIE/x1, Engine Upgrd, Predator, Homing Missles, Adv Targeting PC.
Howlrunner: TFer [23]
--- Shield Upgrd, Determination
Mauler: TFer [22]
--- Targeting PC, Marksmenship
BackStabber: TFer [20]
--- Shield Upgrd
Dark Curse: TFer [20]
--- Shield Upgrd
GunDark: TFer [19]
--- Shield Upgrd

Squad 2] Vaders KO
RA Chiraneau: VT-49 [49]
--- VetInst, Merc Copilot
Mauler: TFer [17]
---
Howlrunner: TFer [21]
--- Targeting PC, Marksmenship

Vader: TAdv [31]
--- Swarm Tactics
Dark Curse: TFer [16]
---
GunDark: TFer [16]
---

Now for my 2 100pt squads.

Squad 1] Get Them
Soontir Fel: TInt [35]
--- Royal Guard, AutoTrusters, Stealth Device, Push The Limit
Juno: TAdv [33]
--- TIE/x1, Adv Targetting PC
Maarek: TAdv [32]

Squad 2] Attack Wing
Col Vessery: TDef [43]
--- Vet Inst, Hvy Laser Canon
Maarek: TAdv [32]
LT Colzet: TAdv [25]
--- TIE/x1, Fire-control Sys

Also been playing with this one:
Squad 3] Vaders Wing
Vader: TAdv [30]
--- Vet Inst
Howlrunner: TFer [19]
--- Vet Inst
Mauler: TFer [20]
--- Vet Inst, Targetting PC
BackStabber: TFer [16]
---
GunDark: TFer [15]
---

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I feel like you're using Targeting Computer and Marksmanship a lot where they're not needed. Adv. Targeting Computer already guarantees you hits and TIEs I often find need that Evade token or Barrel Roll a lot more than they need to correct their two attack dice (when it's up in the air there's Focus). Chiraneau's pilot ability plus a Focus action will get you the Marksmanship results you were looking for.

Are you limited in the cards you have available to use in any way? I know some people are FFG official or bust, but I and a lot of people I game with have no issue with printed off cards.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
currently we have so few ships we are proxy ships once we at least have one of the ship.
And cards we are allowing whatever is listed in ABer. :)
I have dropped Marksmanship on the VT-49 for VetInst and MercCopilot. :)
Think that should work better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that didnt go so well. Lost all games.
He brought a 150pts or rebels like:
4 x B-wings plus 1 x Falcon with Chewie in it.

My TFer swarms just couldnt do enough damage fast enough.
And my poor Decimator was taken out in 2 turns. 2nd turn got hit by an almighty 1-2 from Flacon and b-wings.

:(
How does one deal with B-Wings?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
:laugh: oh man, you totally brought a spoon to a knife fight against that list. Had I known you were going up against something that competitive I would have been a little more aggressive (I don't know if that's the right word, but it works I guess) in my suggested changes to your list.

B-Wings are total dicks to deal with. I'm willing to bet your opponent played them in formation, often attacking with all of them against the same target (unless said target got blown up)? They key is to arc dodge like a mofo. TIEs can do this to a certain degree, but they're still jousters (are you familiar with the three ship archetypes in the game?) in the end and don't really have the damage output to do anything to a ship that eats damage for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have basically retired my TIE Phantom against my buddy's B-Wing lists because I ruin him with that ship, though it took me a few games to get good at flying it. Trick when arc dodging Bs though is their jerk 2-speed koiogran turn. Sneaking up behind them only works if you get the heck off to the side next turn, otherwise you might end up running into their ships/being in range 1 of all your opponent's Bs when they do a short 180. Turrets like the Decimator also can work against them quite effectively, but takes even more creative flying and what I think would be way different upgrade selections on Chiraneau. If I was playing at 150 points against such a list, I would likely play something like this:

Decimator w. Chiraneau (60)
Engine Upgrade, Gunner, Ysanne Isard, Determination​

TIE Phantom w. Whisper (42)
Veteran Instincts, Sensor Jammer, Advanced Cloaking Device, Intelligence Agent​

4x TIE Fighters w. Academy Pilots (48)

150 points even. TIE fighters fly in formation and joust away with Chewie, just trying to harass and inflict what damage they can. All four should be able to do some damage before they start dying. Phantom and Decimator troll for Bs, with the Phantom's Intelligence Agent really helping your decision for de-cloaking (hearkening back to before Cloak was taken back a notch) and both ships being pretty darn high damage output. I'd be tempted to drop Gunner on Chiraneau, but often I have that ship preforming Boost so that it's in range 3/out of range 1 when being shot at and Gunner plus Chiraneau's ability lets me relax on the Focus/Target Lock actions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, it definately felt Like I had a stick and he brought a katana. :)
I am currently looking at the Phantom or Defender to use against those B-wings.

In last game I tried to get the falcon to chase down the TFers as I tried to keep to the opposite side of the b-wings. My thinking was to try to bunch up the TFers against the Falcon till it was down while stay as far away as poosible from the b-wings.
but made two bad movements. One losing a TFer to the edge by 2 millimeters of base!

Those ships are real pain in the butts. :)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The Defender is a good ship, and will be subtly better when the fix card comes out (I think it's with the TIE Advanced Prototype?) and all of its bank maneuvers are green, but against 4 Bs it'll get ran I think. The PS1 pilot being 30 points is just way too steep a price for it to work against the econo-destruction that Bs put out and without Boost it only has half the arc dodging necessities.

Ultimately it really does come down to how you move your ships though. There's been a ton of times where I've just out-flown ships for turns and turns waiting for my opponent to mess up so I can dive in for the kill, all instances as such were involving me flying either the Phantom or an Aggressor. Just beautiful ships once you get the hang of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts