Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not the best painter, but I have a pretty big Tau army to paint so I should get a little better after a while.

The reason for this thread so for me to basically show of my progress and get some moral boost and tips from fellow members. I hope you will like my work or at least see some progress. ;)

I did some painting today and finished my first 3 FW and I have 3 more in progress. Not THAT much but it is at least something.

2 Shas'la, "Fire Warriors" and their Shas'ui team leader.

3 additional Shas'la recruits in training.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would suggest thinning your paints a little. There is something else but I can not put my finger on it. Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I would suggest thinning your paints a little. There is something else but I can not put my finger on it. Keep it up!
The splotchiness of the white, perhaps?

It looks to me like you're putting white over a black base (or perhaps a dark grey?). You've got some areas that came out very smooth, such as on some of the shoulder pads-- but a lot of places look like they've had too many layers of thick paint applied.

I'd try applying a coat of a mid-tone brown, and then a coat of a beige or off-white (such as Ushabti Bone) before putting on two thin coats of white.

Overall, you've got a great start going, though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The splotchiness of the white, perhaps?

It looks to me like you're putting white over a black base (or perhaps a dark grey?). You've got some areas that came out very smooth, such as on some of the shoulder pads-- but a lot of places look like they've had too many layers of thick paint applied.

I'd try applying a coat of a mid-tone brown, and then a coat of a beige or off-white (such as Ushabti Bone) before putting on two thin coats of white.

Overall, you've got a great start going, though!

First of all... I love your avatar, Horus, it cracks me up. Second, thanks for the feedback, you to djinn.

I haven't primed them at all, since I was going for a more worn/dirty look but I guess It would be better to prime them white first and then use a wash for the dirty look after wards. My paints as quite old and thick as well so I was actually going to go out during lunch today and re-supply. Might buy some more crisis suits and some new brushes while I'm at it.

These as the paints I use for my color scheme:

·
Registered
96 Posts
One trick I used with FW's was to do the lines I actually just used a wash over a clean base layer and wiped the excess off. Little tidy up later and bam. Might help with your worn look too.

Like your Tau flesh though, just the right tone imho

Keen to see more

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

Kharnas, I think I use a similar technique. I do one layer with the base colors (white armor, and dark blue cloth etc.) and then I wash most of my model in black. Once dry I just paint a second white layer on the armor and fix any black detail that gets ruined by my bad painting skills. Then I add the final details of the orange markings.

I didn't manage to dedicate that much painting time this week, but I did finish the three I started on last week. I tried to buy some new paint but most was sold out. I only manage to buy a new orange and some new brushes. So I tried to thin out the old paint like suggested. I added just a little water and shook it. It worked perfectly, the paint was no longer sticky and with the new brushes as well it became much easier and faster to paint.

For my next models though, I'm gonna try to get my hands on some white spray paint to base coat them with and see how that works.

Anyway here is some pictures of this weeks result.

The three new recruits finished.

The currently painted part of my first squad.

As before all any C&C is welcome. ^^

/Springare

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I did some painting these last few days. I tried to do some base coating with skull white spray paint. It became a smoother surface and it went faster to paint since I didn't have to paint several layers whit white.

The picture didn't turn out as the others but the result is still visible. Now my first 12man squad is painted. I have another 12man in a bath of soap water to remove paint from a previous owner and I have base coated another 12 that is next on my list.

Once I'm done with them I'm gonna move over to other units.

Here is the result btw:

The last 6 Fire Warrior in the "Alpha Squad"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts