Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, as many of you know, I'm not the fastest of painters, and I've begun to think about getting a spray gun/brush, to apply the basecoat quickly and nicely.

Have you got any ideas? Should I go for a GW one?

Cheers
-Adam

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I've had no good experiances with the GW one, so I'd say no.

I too would like to know which cheap spray gun to get to easily apply basecoats.

Cheers

Reaper

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I personally wouldn't get the spray gun. There are cheaper alternatives if this is what you are after. I use an air brush for base colours and you get more control.

Here is a link to a tutorial on airbrushing by Ploss which may help +++Linky+++

I cant recommend an airbrush as mine is so old these days I dont even think they make it anymore :)

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending on what colours you need, I use the range of Army Painter spray paints

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/army-painter/sprays/cat_124.html?page=0

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/army-painter/sprays/cat_124.html?page=1

There's a pretty good range of colours and they go on really well. I use the dragon red to basecoat my blood angels and build up my final colours and highlights with a brush and regular paints.
I did have a look at these, and can't really get them since I have already undercoated. I'm thinking of getting an Airbrush/Spray Gun, because it means I have more control over what I want (colours etc). Plus, everything I have is, like I said, undercoated, meaning that I need to put on the Ultramarines Blue or Mechrite Red depending on the army.

Its basically to speed up the basecoating process that takes me an absolute age to do.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
take a look at tamiya spray paints, they come in loads of colours and are designed to work on primed plastic kits and you can paint over them with acrylics.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/spray.htm

I own two airbrushes with all the gubbins that is needed and its alot of kit and quite a hassle to get everything set up and used and cleaned, as for the GW spray gun, its based on or produced by badger, the very basic badger starter model, i used to have one of this type and it works great and is quite forgiving, but i wouldnt ever consider using it to base coat an army, a tank possibly but nothing with details as control isnt brilliant. Also the GW one comes with canned air, which comes with its own problems, best to have a oil free compressor with filters and pressure controls but again it boils down to cost, hell if you think GW stuff is expensive then best avoid the world of airbrushes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you wanna save a little money on an airbrush, check local ads for a large craft store (like a Michaels). Most usually run coupons for 40% to 50% of any 1 item in the store. Most of the time the airbrushs are not on discount so they'll work. Saved me almost $60 when I bought one for my mom.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would indeed go for an airbrush. I mean it's true they're expensive, but when you have it and clean it right you won't have any more costs (save for you paints ;)) I use an airbrush with the air-compressor and it works perfect for basecoating both models and tanks!!!

I bought mine for, IIRC €100,00 at a second hand store and after a proper cleaning it was as good as new. I've been using it for about a year or 3 now and I also use it to spray loads of other things.

One piece of advice though: if you're going to use an airbrush buy a brush which doesn't spread the paint all that much, but still has a fine spray (so it's not like: I sprayed my mini and now it's grown 3 millimeters because of the load of paint he'd got on his head ;))... Saves you loads of paint ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts