Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bleh
Orruks
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, as many of you know, I'm not the fastest of painters, and I've begun to think about getting a spray gun/brush, to apply the basecoat quickly and nicely.

Have you got any ideas? Should I go for a GW one?

Cheers
-Adam

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I personally wouldn't get the spray gun. There are cheaper alternatives if this is what you are after. I use an air brush for base colours and you get more control.

Here is a link to a tutorial on airbrushing by Ploss which may help +++Linky+++

I cant recommend an airbrush as mine is so old these days I dont even think they make it anymore :)

·
Bleh
Orruks
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending on what colours you need, I use the range of Army Painter spray paints

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/army-painter/sprays/cat_124.html?page=0

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/army-painter/sprays/cat_124.html?page=1

There's a pretty good range of colours and they go on really well. I use the dragon red to basecoat my blood angels and build up my final colours and highlights with a brush and regular paints.
I did have a look at these, and can't really get them since I have already undercoated. I'm thinking of getting an Airbrush/Spray Gun, because it means I have more control over what I want (colours etc). Plus, everything I have is, like I said, undercoated, meaning that I need to put on the Ultramarines Blue or Mechrite Red depending on the army.

Its basically to speed up the basecoating process that takes me an absolute age to do.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,179 Posts
take a look at tamiya spray paints, they come in loads of colours and are designed to work on primed plastic kits and you can paint over them with acrylics.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/spray.htm

I own two airbrushes with all the gubbins that is needed and its alot of kit and quite a hassle to get everything set up and used and cleaned, as for the GW spray gun, its based on or produced by badger, the very basic badger starter model, i used to have one of this type and it works great and is quite forgiving, but i wouldnt ever consider using it to base coat an army, a tank possibly but nothing with details as control isnt brilliant. Also the GW one comes with canned air, which comes with its own problems, best to have a oil free compressor with filters and pressure controls but again it boils down to cost, hell if you think GW stuff is expensive then best avoid the world of airbrushes.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you wanna save a little money on an airbrush, check local ads for a large craft store (like a Michaels). Most usually run coupons for 40% to 50% of any 1 item in the store. Most of the time the airbrushs are not on discount so they'll work. Saved me almost $60 when I bought one for my mom.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would indeed go for an airbrush. I mean it's true they're expensive, but when you have it and clean it right you won't have any more costs (save for you paints ;)) I use an airbrush with the air-compressor and it works perfect for basecoating both models and tanks!!!

I bought mine for, IIRC €100,00 at a second hand store and after a proper cleaning it was as good as new. I've been using it for about a year or 3 now and I also use it to spray loads of other things.

One piece of advice though: if you're going to use an airbrush buy a brush which doesn't spread the paint all that much, but still has a fine spray (so it's not like: I sprayed my mini and now it's grown 3 millimeters because of the load of paint he'd got on his head ;))... Saves you loads of paint ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.