Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't find it so i'll ask again :mrgreen:

Can you load up Infantry Platoon command squads with Plasma and Melta and drop troop them without the other two squads?

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 Plasma 1 melta's the split i'd go, just incase you scatter close to a vehicle.

The reason I ask is that I like using hardened vets as single infiltrating lascannons to control the battlefield. Having those and still getting the throw away drop troop squads would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
each squad of a platoon infiltrates or ds's seperately, so i see no flaws with that plan.

three plas/one melta is just nasty though. I pity the fool who pisses off your drop troop army Jez!

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 Ballistic skill 4 lascannons can seriously hamper your opponents plans. Secure firelanes or help to strengthen your gunline.

If I had my guard at this years GT final I think I would probably of won more games. The games I lost were from ranged firefights, with a 10 lascannon guard list I would of been able to compete with them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
According to Brian at GW you can't drop a command squad and not the individual inf squds or vice versa - its either the whole lot or none at all.

Personally this doesn't make much sense to me or others with regards to how the doctrines work but he's the one that makes the rules and it would be illegal at the UK GT......

Check out this thread - it includes the official reply I received from brian.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/15/postid/160137/view/topic/Default.aspx

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ;)

The only way to get some nice BS 4 lascannons into an army whilst still retaining the drop troops is to drop the HQ squad and 2 SWS but this is less than reliable. The best way is to use Schaeffer, Kage and drop 3 man last chancer units but again whilst more reliable it's prohibitively expensive....

You could of course infiltrate last chancer units in - and still drop the vets.... at least the last chancers will be immune to ld tests etc because of Schaeffer....

HOpe this helps

Malchek ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes but unfortunatey that and the consideration of split deployment with Light Infantry in the Faq doesn't seem to convince the GT organiser so we're stuck.... Which is a shame as IG have a hard enough time as it is already! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
For that GT, it would seem so.

But for the rest, the GT Organizer does not get to influence the rules. I'm of the opinion that if GW Dev. has not posted a FAQ stating one way or the other, the rules stands as written.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.