Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Games_Day_Preview_One.html

So Forgeworld has released photos on this beast of a model that's due out next week at Games Day; it's their variant on the Riptide. I don't have the email blurb on the bad boy anymore, but I believe it's posted in another thread; highlights include mentioning that it 'gives up maneuverability for better armor and increased firepower', and that it mentions carrying two 'Submuntion Pulse Cannons'.

So... I've seen this thread on other forums, so now it's Heresy's turn: I want to hear what people think the stats will be for this bad boy. Any thoughts, suggestions, inventions, what have you. Not just wishlisting, but I'd love to know why you think so.

In fairness, I'll start:

The fact that they're calling it the R'Varna makes me wonder if it's actually a character unit, considering their other special characters, R'myr and R'alai... I'm not always swift on Tau nomenclature, but would this suggest the R' is a named unit?

A 2+/5+ that has better armor... This could be FNP, but Tau already own Stim Injectors. Will we see Toughness 7 instead?

There are no secondary weapons in the picture, so no Ripple Fire. They mention lack of maneuverability, so no Thrust moves. No obvious shield generator either... Does this mean that this version of the Riptide doesn't have the signature Nova Reactor? No Supercharging the giant death guns on its arms?

Ready? Go!

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
The reactor is in the right shoulder, so there should be a nova charge. The only way I can see for them to portray the heavier armour is to give it an invulnerable save that can't be boosted by the nova reactor. It's been a while since I saw the stats for the submunitions rifle on their previous models, so I won't speculate on them until I look them up.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I'd say toughness 7 defs, maybe 8. No jump pack that much is certain. Maybe Lumbering or S&P?

Not sure on the nova reactor, maybe it has one but with a different set of options?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reactor is in the right shoulder, so there should be a nova charge. The only way I can see for them to portray the heavier armour is to give it an invulnerable save that can't be boosted by the nova reactor. It's been a while since I saw the stats for the submunitions rifle on their previous models, so I won't speculate on them until I look them up.

Is it? I don't know the model enough to recognize the Nova's profile. I could have sworn I saw something on the FW model that looked like a Broadside's Particle Accelerator, but I don't know the Nova Reactor enough to recognize the component.

The Sub Rifle is a Large Blast weapon, same range as a Plasma Rifle or Storm Bolter, Assault 1, Ignores Cover. Strength is the same as a Burst Cannon, but AP is worse. I'm torn about the SubPulse Cannon, because a Riptide's BS isn't really strong enough to make a very accurate Blast weapon... Though with the large pieplate, it might help alleviate some of that.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming you mean those units on the back, where one is larger than the other. But that's good to know, so there must be SOMETHING for the Nova Reactor to use. It also means that the Earth Caste Pilot Array is a possibility for this version.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
His guns look badass, might take em to use as ion accelorators

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Ugh, I have no idea how FW can make such cool things for other armies and then never managing to make their Tau designs as good as GW's. Apart from early Tau things from FW (remora drones and fliers) all their suits and tank add-ons are just terrible.

·
Registered
328 Posts
How are the Imperial Guard flyers so gorgeous and the Space Marine ones universally awful?

These are just the kinds of questions we may never get the answers to.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I think the R'Varna is the 'missing link' between the Tau tech from GW and the X9 Hazard styles that FW has created. I'm with Vet on the idea that I'm really not a fan of FW's Space Marines, because they're too sleek; I like the heavy, blocky designs of the IG. Tau can be sleeker and more high tech, as long as they're not as streamlined as Eldar.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the first draft experimental rules for the R'Varna are up, and I'd love to get more opinions on this bruiser.

Starting at 10 points over a Land Raider, it has the same armor/saves as the original Riptide, but one additional wound (iirc) and one additional toughness, making it a hard nut to crack. In addition, the Invul Save gets better by one against shooting.

It lacks any secondary firepower, but it's got a pair of DISGUSTING marine-killing guns. With the same range as an Ion Cannon, the Submunition cannons drop large pie plates that can bust power armor and threaten Dreadnoughts. But wait, there's more! Against Very Bulky targets and anything on a rectangular base (bikes, cav, beasts) instead takes 2 Plasma-Strengthed hits. Anything Extremely Bulky, monstrous, vehicle, or artillery takes 3 Krak-strengthed hit.

And it DOES have a Nova Reactor; it can fire both of those monsters twice, it can do the same Invulnerable save as the first Riptide, it can gain fleet and an additional die of movement. And it also has an area of affect attack at low strength, poor AP with the Haywire rule.

Oh, and it follows all the rules for the Riptide for additional systems.

Scary, right?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Awesome mini and those rules are the business. If I do decide to get a Riptide for my Tau I'm going to go down this route first up, then maybe get one of the normal ones.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Ahhhh... *drools*
It's so cool...

Must...resist...must...buy...new...lap...top...

*collapses*

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Shadow Spectres got really badly nerfed when 6th Edition rules came out, and that made me sad. I'm not sure what might get done to the R'Varna... it's expensive as hell and really can only glance the snark out of a Land Raider (no battlesuit can pen AV14 anymore).

I just put my first list together using FW suits and the new R'Varna... with the right wargear and some decent rolls it can score 12 S8 hits against a vehicle or Wraithknight, and that's not shabby, but it comes in at 300 points.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The Shadow Spectres got really badly nerfed when 6th Edition rules came out, and that made me sad. I'm not sure what might get done to the R'Varna... it's expensive as hell and really can only glance the snark out of a Land Raider (no battlesuit can pen AV14 anymore).

I just put my first list together using FW suits and the new R'Varna... with the right wargear and some decent rolls it can score 12 S8 hits against a vehicle or Wraithknight, and that's not shabby, but it comes in at 300 points.
But it puts out a hell of a lot more firepower then the equivalently price wraithknight variant

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
These experimental rules are obscene.

Damn near unkillable, and will be firing 4 S6, AP3, 5" blast shots per turn? That deal double hits to gribblies and triple hits to vehicles, with strength boosts to boot? Yeah, it's a bit costly, but... it'll soak up the entire enemy army's shooting for two turns easily, wiping out the largest squad of marines or bikes on the table every turn it's alive. No way that's "balanced."

·
Registered
971 Posts
These experimental rules are obscene.

Damn near unkillable, and will be firing 4 S6, AP3, 5" blast shots per turn? That deal double hits to gribblies and triple hits to vehicles, with strength boosts to boot? Yeah, it's a bit costly, but... it'll soak up the entire enemy army's shooting for two turns easily, wiping out the largest squad of marines or bikes on the table every turn it's alive. No way that's "balanced."
Hence the oncoming nerf beating when these rules get published in an IA so enjoy the awesomeness while it lasts :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Marine! What marines? I see no marines!
When the guy at my LGS they were OP
He just said nothings OP, what if you get it into comatose with a libby? I said what Libby? He died at the other end of the board! He said grav-centurions will kill it easily enough, I said that's because there OP, and the conversation went on.
He basically says that if it can be beaten, in ANY circumstance however likey, it can't be OP

EDIT: sniped! Damn you quick scoping jams!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts