Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering when people build their armies, are they building an army list against 1) a specific army or 2) are they building an all purpose army?

Some people battle the same player/army every battle and therefore their armies are probably custom tailored to take down a specific type of foe. However, that same anti-horde army list might be weak against MCs or heavy armor.

Then there are other players who don't know who they'll be facing and might show up and look for a game against an unknown opponent. It seems then that they will have to build an army list that can handle everything and not specialize too much.

What's everyone's experience with this?

·
4,491 Posts
Always build a list as if i was taking it into a tournament and needing to adapt to take on all enemies, missions, and situations.

People that build their lists specifically to kill their friends list will take the fun out of the game.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Always build a list as if i was taking it into a tournament and needing to adapt to take on all enemies, missions, and situations.

People that build their lists specifically to kill their friends list will take the fun out of the game.
this to the dot :D

tailoring is the worst thing to do ever because it takes the fun out of the game

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Not necessarily. Sometimes tailor made lists are quite fun. Provided your opponent is repaying such an attitude in kind. If you are both tailoring against each other it's fair game. if not, you're pretty weak.

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
Tailor lists? If I did this I wouldn't be taking heavy armour against Tau every time I play them. In seriousness though I personally build my lists for two things, to take on all comers and to be fluffy. I love armoured companies so damn it all I'll play an armoured company. Too bad I only play at my local GW now a days and they frown upon IA armoured company lists.:(

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I always base lists on things I like and don't care what I fight after all its just a game.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My regular opponent plays Tyranids with a large bias towards Genestealer Cults, while I play Ulthwe Eldar.
We both field a different army every time we play each other, but we do both have "signature units" that will always appear. I always field at least one Seer Council and one unit of six Fire Dragons. His will always be, naturally enough, Genestealer heavy.

I think a large part of the fun we have is in trying to guess what the other is going to field and tailor our lists accordingly. We both feed each other scraps of information prior to the battle, some of which is wildly inaccurate but in the main fairly correct.

I wouldn't dream of doing this with anybody else.

Normally I'll go to Games Workshop with a printed out 1500 point army list and the models to play it with. I don't take any spare models with me, just in case I'm tempted to change my mind when I know who I'll be playing. Whoever I get to play could have pretty much anything with them, so I've got to have a reasonably balanced army.

To be honest, I prefer the games with my regular opponent.
At least I know I'm not going to face or field a "Cut & Paste" army every time I play.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I always base lists on things I like and don't care what I fight after all its just a game.
pretty much the same for me, but I try and make the things I like able to work together to take on anything I come across, thankfully since I like leman russ tanks and my whole army is them its even easier since I like every variant.

although I don't see a little list tailoing as a bad thing, tailoring an entire list is pretty boring and unimaginative, but even in real war armies are tailored, you don't go into a firefight against large numbers of tanks with an equal splash of everything, you take a slightly larger number of AT weapons but have some anti infantry weapons here and there just in case, thats common sense.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
usually i run a generic list, unless im told "try & stop my ____ army next week" - then all bets are off, dual lash princes for instance

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I think it's really funny when people tailor their lists against each other, and completely miss the boat - resulting in a meched army fighting against horde, where the mech army is full of Melta, and the horde is full of pie plates. The ineffectual flailing is fun to watch.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not knowing who your foe is, almost unequivocally requires one to take versatile weapons. Thats what makes weapons like the Tau Hammerhead awesome. It seems for the most part almost all armies have some dual purpose capability.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well my main opponent used to be my brother, who plays Tyranids all the time, so we would tailor each of our army lists against each other. It would seem stupid to play a unit uneffective against Tyranids when I knew I would be facing them, like I'm purposefully avoiding tailoring my army. I have no problems with tailored armies, if both opponents know who they are facing beforehand then it just makes sense to alter your army to suit your opponent.

When going to GW it would be suicide to tailor an army because I'd be facing multiple opponents with different armies.

I have no problem with tailoring as long as both opponents are allowed to do so. If you're tailoring against an opponent who has no idea what he's facing, well that's when you start becoming a jerk... Otherwise I see no problem either way.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
People who deliberately tailor a list when they are playing in a pick-up game against a stranger are arrogant sob's who take the fun out of the hobby, and if I see it at my LGS I tell them so, especially if they're old enough to know better.

I always take all-comers lists to a FLGS/GW simply because you never know what you're going to face, so you need to be prepared for every situation.

Amongst my regular gaming buddies though we quite often tailor our lists by mutual agreement, simply because we all know what armies everyone owns anyway. Tailored lists makes the game harder in the respect that it forces you to come up with better Tactics etc, because any errors will be severely punished.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
On the one hand tailoring your army to fight a specific foe seems to take the fun out of the game. However one thing I've noticed about people gearing up for tourneys is that your always thinking half of your opponents will be Space Marine players.

The same goes even for friendly games to the point where your always thinking how a unit will do against Space Marines, which influences how you compile your list.

So on balance I'd say it's half and half.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I try to build mine to be as versatile as possible. Accounting for every possible eventuality. I just make do with what i take with me at the time.
Half the fun is in not knowing whats coming at you until its in your face trying to eat it/blow it off.

SGMAlice

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The same goes even for friendly games to the point where your always thinking how a unit will do against Space Marines, which influences how you compile your list.
This is true, but it's not the same as tailoring to face a specific foe.

I build an all-comers list, but I'm well aware that most of those comers will be Space Marines and build accordingly (at least, so far as I can with my army).

Much like including meltaguns because everyone knows there's a ton of mech out there - an all comers-list will generally assume that most comers have metal boxes. Building to handle Space Marines is just how the game's played. Most comers will be Space Marines of one colour or another.

Tailoring one's list to fight a specific foe is simply unsportsmanlike.

Mind, the last time someone brought a list specifically designed to beat me my all-comers list still forced a draw that would've been a 2-0 victory for me had the game gone on one more turn. After the game he asked if he could use his super-heavy next week...

·
4,491 Posts
A list should be able to do the following.....

- Excel at killing MEQ.
- Excel at killing GEQ.
- Excel at killing transport vehicles.
- Excel at killing AV-14.
- Excel against a Green Tide.
- Excel in objective missions.
- Excel in kill point missions.
- Excel against deepstrike/outflank.
- Excel both with and without terrain.

And most importantly...
- Must be flexible, and easily adapt to any situation.

Now, i am well aware that its not easy to cover all of this in under 1500 points, but anything over 1500 you should be able to.

If your going to run lots of high-strength low-ap weapons in the hope that you are playing against Marines, or run no AP2 weapons and hope you dont come up against Deathwing/Loganwing/Dantewing, then you may as well quit 40K and play rock-paper-scissors instead.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If I'm playing a league match at my FLGS I bring an all comers list. Hell, If I'm going there to just play a pick up game I bring an all comers list. It's tough to talior a list when you don't know what you're gonna face.

Know if somebody calls me up and sets up a game and I know what I'm gonna play against I adjust my list to better match up against that.

Case in point. I have a buddy that likes to play foot slogging CSM without a DP. If I wanna win I adjust for more MEQ killy then I would normally take.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
I always take an all comers list, though I can't be blamed for the fact that Dark Eldar natutally have more anti-tank weaponary than most, if it's going to help me fill out my points well I'll take it, I can't be helped that my vehciles stock standard weapon is a S8 Ap2 Lance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts