Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a sticky one: Are army-wide benefits granted by special characters lost if the character is killed. For instance: In the SW codex, Saga of the Wolfkin grants all Fenrisian wolves "in the same army as the character" Initiative 5. Are they back to I:4 when hes dead? And if that seems obvious, what about Canis Wolfborn or Logan Grimnar's similiar ability to change specific Elites and Fast Attack to Troops? Can Loganwing hold objectives once Grimnar is dead?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It would depend on the wording. I don't have the book, but if you post the full rule, I and others without the book might be able to help.

If it is something like the Special Characters in the Space Marine book in regards to combat tactics/chapter tactics being changed, then maybe yes. If it is like most special buffs, then probably no.

·
4,491 Posts
Logan and 5 units of Wolf Guard.

Logan dies, Wolf Guard screams "OH NOES, DERE IZ TOO MANYS OF ME'S FOR ELITZ!!!!!"

The whole army gets sucked into a black hole.

I wish. :biggrin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
It would depend on the wording. I don't have the book, but if you post the full rule, I and others without the book might be able to help.

If it is something like the Special Characters in the Space Marine book in regards to combat tactics/chapter tactics being changed, then maybe yes. If it is like most special buffs, then probably no.
Dont think he is allowed tho quote the rule here... GW doessnt allow it (it coppywrited after all)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Unless the special rules specifically say it's lost upon the character's death then they stay in play.

lokis222 is wrong in regards to his Space Marine Character example as their rules also stay in play, Stern Guard are still scoring even if Kantor dies, all infantry have fleet even if Shrike dies etc
The change from one troop slot to another is not something that I was saying would not apply upon death. I was referring to, and perhaps too vaguely, things like shadow of the warp in 4th edition tyranids. Global abilities that effect things on the table, but that disappear once the unit in question is gone.

However, you are right. Normally, if the effect ends upon the removal of the character in question, it usually states that in the rule or implied by saying that it applies under such and such a circumstance.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Dont think he is allowed tho quote the rule here... GW doessnt allow it (it coppywrited after all)
All books are copyrighted, but anyone is allowed to quote from them if they state the source of the quote. Otherwise, university students would be in for a hard time at the very least.

I think it would fall under the legal term 'Fair Use'.

·
Registered
172 Posts
All books are copyrighted, but anyone is allowed to quote from them if they state the source of the quote. Otherwise, university students would be in for a hard time at the very least.

I think it would fall under the legal term 'Fair Use'.
I would class it under fair use to, but GW apearently tends to be a bitch about it and if a lot of rules get quoted on one forum youll be able to get most of all the rules in the books out of them.
So that kinda overgoes the fair use rules , besides that i believe its in the forum rules here not to quote larger portions directly from the rule book (especcially statlines and so on).

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Herr, please re-read (because everyone reads them before posting riiight?) the Rules Discussion Forum Guidelines specifically Rule #3.

Also read the Forum Rules for guidelines about citing rules.

As you were, people...
Having looked, it seems okay if:

You aren't fishing.

You are not quoting stat lines.

Is that about the gist of it? Quoting rules and giving page numbers seems okay?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry for the disturbence :)

It was meant as a frendly reminder but ill refrain from em in the furture.

Oh and i did actualy read the rules before posting my first post :p but it had been a while tbh.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To get back on topic....

Would the effects of Runes of Warding remain in effect after the farseer is killed? It doesn't state anywhere in the codex that he must remain alive/remove the effects upon death.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
To get back on topic....

Would the effects of Runes of Warding remain in effect after the farseer is killed? It doesn't state anywhere in the codex that he must remain alive/remove the effects upon death.
Ah, the void. That is what I meant about the global effects if the character is removed. 4th edition shadow of the warp had the same issue. It was an upgrade to a tyrant that was assumed to disappear on death, but was nowhere stated to do so.That seems to be the same issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts