Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which choosing what weapons to go for your basic Infantry regiments which do you prefer go for? Spears and fight in 2 ranks or Halberd and get +1 strength?

The reason I ask is that I know a couple of armies get this option and was just wondering what the preferance is?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Usually, the options will also provide for a Hand Weapon/Shield combo as well. This is what is considered to be the most effective, as keeping troops alive and not giving up easy combat resolution points will be the goals of most block unit commanders.

Spears are awesome when used defensively, and your opponent plays into your hands, but will often not be considered as effective as HW/S troopers. The Halberdiers are nice if the extra strength really makes that much of a difference, but as most troops will be relatively weak anyway, the points cost adjustment isn't worth it.

Either way, you will be trading longevity for either more, or better, dice rolls.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If your going to switch from HW and S and you have the choice i think it would depend on what unit it is for. If they already have a good save then I would say halbards. If they have a high STR i.e 4+ then i would go with spears for the extra attacks.

As a lizardman player it's and either or situation not a choice :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
I usually will field both, using Halberdiers as support for my Spearman blocks. This will nomally keep my opponents Hvy Calvary on their side.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So why do you prefer whole units rather than Detachments?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just quite interested in the thoughts behind it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's a numbers game, units pose a double threat. In support of each other they will usually outnumber in combat. Also if my opponent concentrates his/her shooting and magic on them to reduce their size. They are not picking on my shock units before they reach their lines.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
As a High Elf player, my outlook is a little different. My spearmen fight in three ranks, but are at a disadvantage when they charge since they fight with one fewer rank at the same initiative count as if they were charged. I like to support my Spearmen with units of Phoenix Guard, which can hit the flanks or engage heavier units that the spearmen might not be able to handle easily. S4 is ideal (or, as ideal as polearms go) for fighting cavalry, as well-- if you have to put a stop to heavy cav that comes with a 1+ or 2+ armor save, you've got a slightly better shot at cutting through with the halberds.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
halberds. i find the extra strength is more usful then 2 ranks attacking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts