Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, over the summer I'm planning to completely repaint my roughly 3000 points worth of Dark Angels 3rd company (with elements of the 1st, 2nd and 10th). These models were originally painted by me when I was 13ish, which kinda explains the crappy paint job :laugh: .Let me know with any C&C as I go along, as tbh I am still a newbie at the whole painting malarkey.
:)

At the moment I have:
  • Azrael
  • Ezekiel
  • Sammael (in land speeder)
  • Baradiel: 3rd company master
  • Zacchaeus: 10th company master
  • Bezrael: Librarian
  • Emperor's Champion conversion
  • Command Squad
  • Company Veterans Squad
  • Deathwing squad
  • Ravenwing Attack squadron x 2
  • Tactical squad x 2
  • Scout squad x 5
  • Assault squad
  • Whirlwind
  • Combat squad
  • Lander pilot conversion
  • Venerable Dreadnought (unconstructed)

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your dread looks like it was in a horrible accident :p
LOL yes! :laugh: My name for it is "the dead dread"...
I got it a few years ago for my birthday, but it's the old metal one, meaning it needed pinning and I could never be bothered to get around to it.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
An impressive collection indeed. The pics are a bit fuzzy so it is hard to make out the details, but I look forward to following your progress as you go about the great repaint.

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick questions: Are these Vallejo paints a good equivalent to the noted GWS ones?

- Dark Angels Green (GWS) - Cayman/Dark Green (V)
- Mithril silver (GWS) - Chainmail Silver (V)
- Bleached Bone (GWS) - Elfic Flesh (V)
- Boltgun metal (GWS) - Gunmetal Metal (V)

And where's the best place to get a Chaos Black spray equivalent?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My personal opinion is that the Vallejo paints are better. I also use the Vallejo primer for airbrushes, you get more for you buck and it lasts much longer. Once I finish with all my GW paints I will not buy them anymore...accept the washs, GWs washs work really well.

On a side note, love the Dark Angels man, keep it going!

Regards,
DoE

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Quick questions: Are these Vallejo paints a good equivalent to the noted GWS ones?

DIY stores usually have a good primer. If not try and look for Krylon, which you can get from certain places.

As for the paints equivalents, I have no idea, I personally use a combination of the two, since I love Citadel and I have been using the paints for the last 5 years. Hard to break a habit.

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers for the comments and help people :)
I'll probably use the ones I've found, as they seem pretty similar, and I can always mix them to lighten/darken them. Next update should hopefully contain some pics of the progress.

P.S. CLT40K, that model was actually an accident. Back in my naive youth, I though the EC was some random freelance marine warrior dude, so I just bought it on a whim. Made out for a nice little conversion though :biggrin:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Looking good from what I can see, I would love to see some better pic up close and stuff. From the fzzy pics it does look like you may need to get some badob black though. Seem a bit flat but really hard to tell.

·
Registered
151 Posts

I use mostly vallejo (because of value for money, awesome bottles & I got a really good deal on a full set) , but citadel washes, foundations and metallics

Your colours as are mostly right above GW Bleached Bone is Bonewhite in the VGC range. and Mithril silver is just called silver - chainmail silver is chainmail.

As for the spray I use GW generally but Halfords primer is pretty good too. But theres not a lot of price difference. GW £9.50 / 400ml Halfords is about £7.50 for 500ml.

Hope this helps you some

Oh and what he said, lets see some better pics :)

·
Señor Member
563 Posts

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG! Guess what? An update! It's not much, seeing as stripping the ton of crap has taken ages (and still isn't finished), plus priming, and some weapon replacements for certain *ahem* illegal models....

:laugh:

PS: Don't use brake fluid for paint stripping unless you have no other option. The results are OK, but not brilliant, and it destroys the glue if left in for like 48 hrs. :nono:

EDIT: Sorry about the shite picture quality. I'm using my phone atm, which only has like 2 megapixels. Hopefully by the time they're all painted I'll have a decent camera.

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another quickie update! So far around half the stuff is basecoated, whilst the other half wait for priming. I haven't applied any washes or highlighting yet, but the ground work is done. I know (still) the piccies are crap, but do what you can with them :)
I'll post some proper pics by the end of the week, when the rest of the army is at the same stage as these bits.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts