Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please stay on topic and I'll do the same. Thanks for any (advice) have to give. A list I've been thinking about, need opinions.

6 to 9 razorbacks. w/ 6 man squads of GH AND LF
2 Squads 3 bikers
2 squads of sniper rifle scouts for pinning and monstrous creatures. (infiltrating) cheap HQ mixed in.

Not in favor of wolf mount squads. Not in favor of dumping points into HQ'S. 2000 pts. when I made the list I was 40 pts. over. also debating bring whirlwinds set of 3 for horde or maxing out rhino's w/ all extras including las cannon and plasma cannon extra armor, storm bolter, shield ect. Well what are your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Welcome to Hersey Online @sabathia

I move your post to the army list area as it seemed more suitable.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
What you have listed is very 5th edition in layout and does not mesh as well with 6th rules. It also would be a better list as a codex space Marines list versus SW.

Is this for tournies or casual play with friends? What kind of armies are you likely to face?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was thinking with having to grab objectives /w the chance of FA and HW having opertunities to grab objectives and barring rhino's which in my mind you might as well use a drop pod this is the only mobility I see Spacewolves having. would like to work my way up to tourneys but not starting out. looking for a list that would play well in tourneys but don't like cookie cutter lists. thanks for response.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The list i have been using lately is a bit different. I have only tested it against tau, but i squeezed a points victory out with it, so I am going to try against other armies.

Sq 1: Njal in Termie 4 Termie WG w/ Combi-Melta & 1 of these with Cyclone Missile launcher All will StormShield... Drop Pod w/ Stormbolter
Sq 2: 5 WG Termie w/ Storm Shields 2 w/Combi Flamer 2 w/Stormbolter 1 w/Heavy Flamer & Rune Priest In termie w/ Jaws & LL ... Drop Pod w/ Stormbolter

Sq 3 & 4: 5 Grey Hunters (extra Drop Pod here for 2 pods dropping on the first round)

Sq 6 & 7: 5 Missile Long Fangs, W/Sgts, & Each of these will have a WG peeled off the other groups

I am considering dropping Njal to a standard Rune Priest in termie & bringing in a 3rd set of Long Fangs.

Tactics are: Drop Sq 1 near armor & monsterous creatures, take out the worst & Jaws the monsters
Sq 2 drops near the enemy troops tries to kill the HQs (SQ 1 & 2 never assault they just hang out and grief) Meanwile the GH are moving tword OBJ's and longfangs are popping tanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seems like this would be a fun list to play. a buddy of mine had around 15 to 20 termies he loved um. (that's how many he owned) he swore by the using speeders. he held them back in cover and brought the out later in the game. also used scouts heavily. this was back when you could infiltrate on spot behind enemy lines and not have to role 12 34 56. Thanks for list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
razorbacks for those silver spoon babies. you can field prob. around 15 or more. Rules say you can double up on your choices ie. 6 fast attack 6 heavy weapons. Also long fangs can be fielded as a group of 2 (1 long fang with a sgt.) You can field 3 whirl winds. Every one plays the same way with the same models, there for having the same conclusions. please leave all disrespectfull comments below..

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
So let me get this straight, you are looking for a semi competitive Space Wolf list that is not designed as cookie cutter or win at all costs.

But then you say your thinking of long fang-grey hunter-razorspam which is a cookie cut list.

You also don't want mounted squads (I assume you mean squads mounted on stuff rather than mounted in a transport) but then you have units of bikers (who are mounted on bikes.)

So what exactly is it you want to try and put in this list? Because in all honesty your flip flopping within the same post.

Also, rhino's don't get options to take lascannons, plasmacannons, or shields; do you mean long fangs mounted in rhinos and led by a wolf guard or something?

Moving on:
razorbacks for those silver spoon babies.
I don't get it, are you insulting people who use razorbacks or something? I mean didn't you just make a razorspam list?

you can field prob. around 15 or more. Rules say you can double up on your choices ie. 6 fast attack 6 heavy weapons.
At 2000 points you could field 19 razorbacks if you so chose, but remember that you need two HQ's and four troops before taking anything else (thats barebones everything and with 41 points left to spend.)

Also long fangs can be fielded as a group of 2 (1 long fang with a sgt.)
They can, that doesn't make it a very good idea though.

You can field 3 whirl winds.
But then your detracting from your long fang/razorback count.

Every one plays the same way with the same models, there for having the same conclusions.
Maybe in the ultra-competitive scene, this isn't very true in more casual or semi competitive games.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why de bunk me, rather give good ideas and ways this can work. unless u foot slog how else are you going to get objectives take a rhino with a storm bolter. I referring to the razorbacks as a means of point a to point b. foot slogging (how them would your meltaguns or plasma guns from your hunters get in range of skimmers and bikes. suppose you could just ignore the fact that there picking you to pieces because you chose not to inbark them in a razorback (you can't mount a razorback.) the only mount in a space wolf army is a wolf mount. you don't mount a bike you ride one. this is disturbing coming from a moderator. are you selective in who can and can not play in your tree house. :(

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
why de bunk me, rather give good ideas and ways this can work.
Its hard for anyone to give you much of anything when your posts appear to be all over the place. Your first post says you want razorspam, a later post has you insulting them.

unless u foot slog how else are you going to get objectives take a rhino with a storm bolter.
Transports, though helpful, are not an absolute requirment all of the time. With decent support and cover its entirely possible to get to objectives on foot; especially if you practice good objective placing.

(how them would your meltaguns or plasma guns from your hunters get in range of skimmers and bikes.
Most likely you'd allow support units such as dreadnoughts, predators, or long fangs to help deal with them. Then again, why your going after a skimmer with single meltaguns (because so far you've been talking about grey hunter squads that are not big enough to get the second melta) is beyond me.

suppose you could just ignore the fact that there picking you to pieces because you chose not to inbark them in a razorback
And being embarked on a transport can lead to it being blown up; where bad rolls could easily see a majority of th pack killed. Its all about which calculated risk you want to take, because nothing is going to be completely foolproof.

the only mount in a space wolf army is a wolf mount. you don't mount a bike you ride one. this is disturbing coming from a moderator. are you selective in who can and can not play in your tree house.
Ah, so this is the game your playing then is it? Semantics and then trolling; its neither original nor does it do you any good. But then again if your here to troll I doubt you honestly care for any help anyway.

In the sake of at least attempting to remain helpful for as long as possible, I'll ask my question again: what exactly is it you want to try and bring into this list?

Reactions: Maugoth

·
Registered
22 Posts
problem with Razorbacks/Rhinos is they are too weak to withstand fire anymore. 1 pen = 1 in 6 chance of them blowing up and taking hits on your squad... and then you are in the same foot slogger situation as before.

IMHO the game for SW right now is about surviving the volume of fire and whittling down the enemy. Unfortunately, short of Land Raiders you're not going to do this & they are too expensive points wise for my taste.

I have taken to using drop pods & a ton of troops in order to get around this. I rarely take more than 6 units in 1 troop. This separates my troops up and causes the enemy to overkill a small unit, rather than killing 9/10 of a large unit.

Slowing them down, and allowing my guys to get to the OBJ's is my gameplan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ulrik the Slayer = WS 6 180 pts.
8 GH's bare bone With Ulrik in Land Raider 370 pts.
Wolf Lord = WS 6 with Frost Blade, Wolf Tail Talisman, 130 pts.
7 GH's bare bones With Wolf Lord in Land Raider 355 pts.
Wolf Lord = WS 6 ( "" "" ) 130 pts.
7 GH's bare bones With Wolf Lord in Land Raider 355 pts.
Wolf Guard Battle Leader = (WS 6 Mentored) ( "" "" ) 105 pts.
8 GH's bare bones With Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Land Raider 370 pts.
1195 pts.

Please remember to leave out the individual point costs in the future - darkreever

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Your list isn't legal. Too do a double force organization you have to have at least 2k points with at least 2 HQ and 4 troops. It also goes against your first post starring you did not want to spend tons of points on HQ.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seriously I smiled when I saw the trolling comment, I felt as if I was the one being trolled with over 60 views with only you doing the commenting "help" or lack of ?
I do appreciate the comments, I suppose not to many are interested in playing wolves right now and are playing greys and necs so they have the edge in a win at all cost. just a generalization but this would justify the lack of interest. I do realize theres many post identical to mine so this is why I came up with the raiders list. I feel that this is an super elite asrmy better suited for 3rd and 4th edition but would be fun to play and formidable in hand to hand but with sweeping advance being broken now in between hand to hand they would just get cut down by uber shots out the wazzu. ive been thinking about playing wolves for a long time but just seems to be a easier solution just to camp in cover and run a guard list so that GW can sell more models.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
with the money investment I would not only want to have fun but also be competitive. I love the hand to hand aspect of the game. The way the rules are now, there's been so much countering againt hand to hand to equal out for the shooty armies it would seem that GW has decided to continue to lean in this direction. More models = more money. Which the intro to hull points surprised me because the lean toward transports in 5th. ed. lol protected troops from shooty I have thaught about playing nids just because of the horde aspect, but all I have played is elder and a few games with borrowed wolf army. which explains the above list with initiative 5 WS 6, because I played elder which almost always had the upper hand with initiate. I do realize foot slogging is possible because I fielded ulthwe slogging because I had no vehicles and did well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your list isn't legal. Too do a double force organization you have to have at least 2k points with at least 2 HQ and 4 troops. It also goes against your first post starring you did not want to spend tons of points on HQ.

you don't have the codex in front of you obviously this shows me a lack of interest and extreme arrogance on your part.

Wolves are allow 2 hq's for each slot sorry lol, but your WRONG....

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
thanks did not realize you had to play with 2000 was thinking it would be legal as long as it was below 2000.
Scratch that... 4 HQ for the wolves fit into the 2 HQ slots because we are special so your original 1995pts list IS legal provided you conform to the second paragraph's requirements for different wargear on your two Wolf Lords (i.e. give one a Frost Blade and one a Frost Axe)!

In a Space Wolves army, each HQ 'slot' allows you to take up two HQ choices. This means that in a standard mission a Space Wolves army may take one, two, three or even four HQ choices. This represents the constant presence of heroes determined to burn their name into legend.

However, packs of Space Wolves work best when led by a single dominant personality, each hero respected for his own abilities. To represent this, no two characters may bear the same saga, nor may they bear the same psychic powers or wargear combination. Space Wolves are far too individual and proud for such unimaginative tactics!
Noted your reference to WGBL as "mentored" with WS6. Not quite sure where you got this from. AFAIK, the WGBL has WS5. Might want to re-check that one.

*Update* Found the Mentor Special Rule for Ulrik. All good!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts