Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to be facing Orks this weekend, it is a dawn of war + purge battle.
I have never battled orks before. I understand they are pretty nasty in CC so my plan is to hang back and make the orks come to me while riddling them with fire.

I could really use some feedback or suggestions.

So here is my list

Rune Priest w/ Jaws & Living Lightning

5 Wolf guard Termies W/ dual Wolf Claws
in a Land Raider Redeemer

2 Groups of 10 Grey Hunters w/2 flamers per group
each with a Razorback w/ Heavy Bolter & storm bolter

3 Groups of Long Fangs W/Missile Launchers (5 fangs 1 Pack Leader each)

Aegis Defense Line w/quad gun

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Might want Wolf Standards on the Grey Hunters to utterly neuter the Orks on one turn, but apart from that I think you're pretty set to brutalise him if he's bringing a Green Tide.

If he's running Mech, you might struggle - while you can flank with Long Fangs, you can't scratch AV14, so maybe throwing a few Meltaguns in somewhere would be beneficial.

I assume you're swapping out for Divination, but if not then I'd swap Jaws out for Murderous Hurricane. Orks don't usually have anyone worth sniping except their characters who are either Initiative 3 or 4. However, they really hate moving through Difficult Terrain and the hits are pretty nice too, so that's my reasoning there.

Make sure you charge him, not vice versa. While you have Counter-Attack, Orks deprived of Furious Charge are substantially less powerful. If you can deny Furious Charge and pop Wolf Standards on the same turn then you have a very good chance of beating up his Boyz units.

I don't like the Razorbacks, really, but I don't know why. I've just never found the Bolterback to be up to much. I'd be tempted to run Rhinos instead, to allow you to control the field a bit more (easy against Orks if they're running more than one or two big units, but especially so if you can actually move around in a box).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, thanks for the feedback... So this is my alternative list:

Njal in Termie armor (for all the nasty storm powers)

5 WG in powerarmor w/2 combi meltas each for Mek wrecking
all in LR redeemer w/ multi melta

3 packs of 6 Grey Hunters w/ 1 flamer per group
2 Razorbacks w/ Hvy Bolter & stormbolter

3 Groups of Long Fangs W/Missile Launchers (5 fangs 1 Pack Leader each)

and an aegis defense line to park everyone behind (except the land raider)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
That should work out ok, I think. Is the Land Raider really being used to it's full advantage? I'd want something more substantial in there as at the moment it's a very expensive pair of Flamestorm Cannons, such as 10 Grey Hunters with Standard/Mark/2 Meltaguns, but models is models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I dont think the ork player was very skilled.

I beat him 9-2. i lost 1 razorback, & the group of wolfguard. both of whom got their points back. I was expecting green tide, what i faced was green trickle.

Long Fangs are nasty with mean on top.
surprisingly my least effective unit was the Grey Hunters W/ Njal attached.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Long Fangs are nasty with mean on top.
surprisingly my least effective unit was the Grey Hunters W/ Njal attached.
Congratulations on your victory, brother. Have a pint!

I'm not surprised - Njal is uber-expensive and his Lord of Tempests is fairly mediocre against Orks in a lot of cases - the Difficult Terrain one is good, but the others are a bit lacklustre. Grey Hunters in general are very nice Ork meat factories, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts