Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity, can SW use the Stormwing Formation? I know that units from C:SM are the only ones who can begin the game in the Stormraven, but, can a SW player use this in addition to their Primary Detachment?

I ask because I have a friend complaining about the lack of fliers for SW and how he can only use an AA gun from the ADL or Bastion that he has.

As far as I know the Stormwing will work for him and he can even paint them up as SW vehicles.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
can SW use the Stormwing Formation? I know that units from C:SM are the only ones who can begin the game in the Stormraven
I don't have an answer for the initial question, but I'm 99% sure if you take a SW formation the SR no longer can be used as a transport.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
That is correct. The Storm Wing Formation is available to all the Space Marine Chapters/Variants as per the standard Allies Matrix but only C:SM can embark on the Storm Raven. (Not sure how this will change with the updated rulebook after 24th May though!)

Exact wording for the "Independent Formation" rule states:
The Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing Formation does not benefit from the Chapter Tactics special rule, but units from Codex: Space Marines that are included in the same army can begin the game embarked on the Stormraven Gunship, and can embark on it during the game.
Regarding the Allies situation, the following statement in all Dataslates stipulates the restrictions:
Allied Formations
Formations do not count as your army's Allied Detachments, even if they are made up of units from a different codex to your Primary Detachment, and they do not stop you from taking an Allied Detachment in the same army. However, the Levels of Alliance rules from the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook do apply to them and units chosen from a different codex that are in the same army.

@Jace of Ultramar : Wolves do have flyer options but they are FW models, namely the Storm Eagle, Caestus Assault Ram and more recently the Fire Raptor. These are all legal models for use in 40k games but still the usual case of being polite and informing the opponent in advance, just in case they throw a hissy-fit over it at the gamin table!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I figured as much on the FW models, but, I don't bring up FW because I don't feel like hearing the monetary rant.
So, is that a yes on the formation that it can be included? I know none of the Wolves can embark.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Well, I figured as much on the FW models, but, I don't bring up FW because I don't feel like hearing the monetary rant.
So, is that a yes on the formation that it can be included? I know none of the Wolves can embark.
Yes, it can be included and they would function as Battle Brothers in the game.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts