Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

521 - 540 of 541 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Nope, they are just elites now.

Edit: Unless I am missing it somewhere, he is the only one that can take his chariot also.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
To be honest, Grimnar making Wolf Guard into troops would be stupidly good, although it would be a good example of codex creep as Ravenwing get ousted by White Scars who get ousted by Wolf Guard Bikers (and if you want a laugh, compare the Deathwing Standard and the Wolf Standard).

I'm undecided. Space Wolves now look like Codex: Space Marines, except everyone is also better and can bring melee options but at the cost of some of the utility (no Combat Squads; I haven't seen anything about reserve manipulation yet; and the Tempest Discipline doesn't look as good as Biomancy, Telepathy or Divination on Tigurius).

They look like they'll deliver a really, really nasty alpha strike as a Drop Pod army, and then keep on hitting you all game. Hopefully Blitza-Bommas will really come into their own as dropping a Str7 AP2 Large Blast seems a good way to get rid of their infantry, but I'll have to experiment.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@MidnightSun:
There is some reserve manipulation, if you take the SpaceWolves Detachment as your ForceOrg.: Every turn (except turn 1) you can choose one unit in reserve to automatically pass its reserve-roll. So you have a little more control, and can make sure that units arrive if you really need them..

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
@MidnightSun:
There is some reserve manipulation, if you take the SpaceWolves Detachment as your ForceOrg.: Every turn (except turn 1) you can choose one unit in reserve to automatically pass its reserve-roll. So you have a little more control, and can make sure that units arrive if you really need them..
Oh, they have a detachment? I was aware of their Formation but I didn't know about a Detachment, that sounds pretty darn good then.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh, they have a detachment? I was aware of their Formation but I didn't know about a Detachment, that sounds pretty darn good then.
Yap. The Detachment basically looks like the one from BRB, only you need at least 2 HQs and can have up to 6 (!!). The Rest is as usual.
It allows you to reroll your Warlord Trait (business as usual), and before the game starts, you can roll a D6 for every unit of the Detachment (add +2 if it is a Troop choice, joined by a character). If you roll a 6, the unit gets outflank. And then finally, the guaranteed reserve roll every round.
Of course, you do not get "objective secured" with this detachment, that would be a bit much...
I can think of quite a few lists that could be really fun with this ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I took my Deathwing list (Belial, 2 7 man Deathwing with 3 TH/SS assault Cannon LC, 1 4 man Deathwing 2 TH/SS LC, Deathwing Command Squad Fortitude Banner HF 3 TH/SS) with Ulrik the Slayer 10 man Grey hunters w/ Melta guns plasma pistol drop pod and rocked some Necrons. Ulrik took out a squad of 5 Warriors without breaking a sweat. I am really excited about the potential of this codex.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
I think the reaction to the chariot is a bit much to be honest. The concept isn't that bad, it isn't even as if they wolves really pull the chariot, they're there as attack dogs as much as anything else.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Yap. The Detachment basically looks like the one from BRB, only you need at least 2 HQs and can have up to 6 (!!). The Rest is as usual.
It allows you to reroll your Warlord Trait (business as usual), and before the game starts, you can roll a D6 for every unit of the Detachment (add +2 if it is a Troop choice, joined by a character). If you roll a 6, the unit gets outflank. And then finally, the guaranteed reserve roll every round.
Of course, you do not get "objective secured" with this detachment, that would be a bit much...
I can think of quite a few lists that could be really fun with this ;)
That's pretty neat. I think Great Waaaagh! possibly get it better with Deep Strike instead of Outflank, but automatically getting reserves is a really nice benefit.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Having read the book, I think its pretty good. Yeah, they have lost a few "wolfy" things, but I honestly like the tactical objectives. Yeah, they replace rulebook ones, but I think they give us some of the wolfyness back, basically we are marines, but We think different tactically. Im sure you get my point there, even if it looks wrong.

>> Logan's chariot looks sweet, but I wont get one. And free storm shields for termies is cool imo.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Found this on fb. Looks like a repackaging of existing SW sprues with heavy weapons and jump packs. Don't see a frost cannon on the LFs though. It says there's 8 heavy weapons, which is the same as the standard devastator box, which has a missile launcher, a multi-melta, two heavy bolters, two lascannons and two plasma cannons. Also just noticed that they are €3 dearer than the normal SM boxes. The Warriors of the Fang box saves you €34 though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Looks like they have removed the standard leg sprues and replaced them with the wolf pack sprue, a good move for GW as even though they are slightly more than the vanilla marines it means a less expensive alternative than buying both a dev squad and a wolf pack set .
yes and no, sure buying both just to build the Dev squad with more wolf bits might seem more expensive, but if you then take all the bits you didnt use to make the dev squad and use them to make normal marines, you still come out ontop with more by just buying the original dev box and a space wolf kit.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
yes and no, sure buying both just to build the Dev squad with more wolf bits might seem more expensive, but if you then take all the bits you didnt use to make the dev squad and use them to make normal marines, you still come out ontop with more by just buying the original dev box and a space wolf kit.
you are correct of course, but what i was getting at was that it was better for those on a lower budget(which seems to be anyone on a forum if the claims of poverty are anything to go by :grin: ), after all, if you can just throw money at this game its actually easy to save money(ironically) by buying the larger box sets that save you stacks of cash vs RRP of the individual boxes.

the other thing i like is that they have bothered to bundle them together at all, i know its a little like spoon feeding the customer, but considering some of the comments i see on social media from gamers i can understand why they have done it, part of games workshops continued ability to sell stuff stems from the paranoia of its customer base of not wanting to field anything that didnt come off the shelf and from the pages of the codex, thats why i think we are seeing things like allies matrix and codex supplements/dataslates, the average GW gamer lacks the initiative/confidence/ability to work this shit our for them self? or maybe they are just too lazy? back in the day of RT the game was pretty fluid and open ended, you pretty much turned up with anything and worked out the rules for it as you went along, ok maybe not ideal for the gamer of today but it meant imagination and fun were the key factors in the game.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
602 Posts
you are correct of course, but what i was getting at was that it was better for those on a lower budget(which seems to be anyone on a forum if the claims of poverty are anything to go by :grin: ), after all, if you can just throw money at this game its actually easy to save money(ironically) by buying the larger box sets that save you stacks of cash vs RRP of the individual boxes.

the other thing i like is that they have bothered to bundle them together at all, i know its a little like spoon feeding the customer, but considering some of the comments i see on social media from gamers i can understand why they have done it, part of games workshops continued ability to sell stuff stems from the paranoia of its customer base of not wanting to field anything that didnt come off the shelf and from the pages of the codex, thats why i think we are seeing things like allies matrix and codex supplements/dataslates, the average GW gamer lacks the initiative/confidence/ability to work this shit our for them self? or maybe they are just too lazy? back in the day of RT the game was pretty fluid and open ended, you pretty much turned up with anything and worked out the rules for it as you went along, ok maybe not ideal for the gamer of today but it meant imagination and fun were the key factors in the game.
that is why i said yes and no, as for a quick one buy, yes its cheaper then HAVING to buy both kits to get the appropriate design as one might want for just long fangs, and for veteran players this is a better choice. Of course I think the Dev / Long Fang box is stupid in the first place as neither box gives you the ability to choose ALL the weapons you would want on said squads, it just gives you one of each, forcing you to buy, say, 5 boxes, to get a squad of 5 Missile Launchers (the old Long Fang loadout, not sure how it would fare in 7th)

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
that is why i said yes and no, as for a quick one buy, yes its cheaper then HAVING to buy both kits to get the appropriate design as one might want for just long fangs, and for veteran players this is a better choice. Of course I think the Dev / Long Fang box is stupid in the first place as neither box gives you the ability to choose ALL the weapons you would want on said squads, it just gives you one of each, forcing you to buy, say, 5 boxes, to get a squad of 5 Missile Launchers (the old Long Fang loadout, not sure how it would fare in 7th)
true enough, but then again, there are those bitz websites i keep hearing whispers about, where people can buy heavy weapons individually....when they have stock...:shok:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

521 - 540 of 541 Posts