Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, hopefully they'll fix Grimnar as well. The reason he had the stats for both axe and PF was so he could strike at his base initiative if he needed to, or use the fist against beasties if the situation calls for it.

Then the broke him. It is a ridiculous situation that two of the greatest characters in the game such as Dante and Grimnar strike after hormogaunts.
Unless I'm losing my mind, I thought the FAQ listed Frost Axe and Frost Blade with separate profiles. Since the Axe of Morkai states that it can be used as a powerfist or FROST BLADE, my friends and I have been using it with the frost blade profile.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Unless I'm losing my mind, I thought the FAQ listed Frost Axe and Frost Blade with separate profiles. Since the Axe of Morkai states that it can be used as a powerfist or FROST BLADE, my friends and I have been using it with the frost blade profile.
Well then Grimnar works fine.

EDIT:
Q: If Logan Grimnar chooses to wield the Axe Morkai in one hand, does it count as a frost blade (as mentioned in the special rule) or a frost axe (as implied by the weapon’s name and the model itself)?
(p56)
A: A frost blade.
Yup, works fine.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Well shit. I should keep up with FAQs. I've been playing it as an axe. That would have made the difference for me in a couple of games.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would love to see a Grimanr, Ragnar and Ulrik re-sculpt with some anti flyer inclusion and a cheaper alternative transport, like a Rhino Advancer, for larger squads! Greedy I know but I'm all for wishful thinking.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah, especially Ragnar. Seems like one of the last vestiges of the old school, horrible arm poses. Ulrik isn't much better. At least Grimar is sort of dynamic.
Yeah Grimnar is sort of dynamic but I think the proportions of the model are all out. I personally have always thought it was a poor sculpt since it was released.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
All of the SW characters need an upgrade. Well, all but Njal and Canis, that is. I think my biggest issue with them is that their dimensions are just shit. That, and Ragnar looks like he's getting himself psyched to take a massive crap.

I for one like the Vikings idea and will continue thinking of them as such and its purely for the cool factor.
Meh, to each their own, I suppose. To me it comes off as lazy, one dimensional writing, but I suppose people do like it.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Yeah Grimnar is sort of dynamic but I think the proportions of the model are all out. I personally have always thought it was a poor sculpt since it was released.
Fair enough, it's far from the best sculpt they've ever put out.

Meh, to each their own, I suppose. To me it comes off as lazy, one dimensional writing, but I suppose people do like it.
WOLF-themed Vikings! C'mon, that's almost 2 dimensions.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
All of the SW characters need an upgrade. Well, all but Njal and Canis, that is. I think my biggest issue with them is that their dimensions are just shit. That, and Ragnar looks like he's getting himself psyched to take a massive crap.

I dont think you can even drag them out of the viking/wolf theme anymore its a quite strongly esteblished image by now

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Space Wolves have been werewolf vikings forever. Complaining that the idea isn't enough is like complaining about Blood Angels basically being space vampires: there isn't a point.

Besides, Viking Werewolves in an idea so cool that Skyrim did it.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Space Wolves have been werewolf vikings forever. Complaining that the idea isn't enough is like complaining about Blood Angels basically being space vampires: there isn't a point.

Besides, Viking Werewolves in an idea so cool that Skyrim did it.
The problem is that they aren't; the more modern novels give them a more unique overtone that I really like which I would like to see more in a new codex. I don't care that the undertone is Northern European space werewolves, just that what came out in the codex was somewhat boring as far as the naming and fluff went.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Codex always trumps novels on canon. Period. The BL authors can run whatever way they want but at the end of the day the flagpole we should be looking at for what an army "is" comes from the codex.

EDIT: And how is "werewolf vikings in SPACE" not unique? FFS Skyrim is the only other bit media I've ever seen that actually has Werewolf Vikings. The only way it could be more awesome is if they rode bears into battle.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
the more modern novels give them a more unique overtone that I really like which I would like to see more in a new codex.
Yeah, maybe a Codex: Vlka Fenryka would be a better title this time around rather than Codex: Space Wolves. More reflective of the recent change in our perspective of them. We know GW are not averse to a rebrand.

21 - 40 of 541 Posts