Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you could answer a question for me regarding the Insane Bravado rule.

Say i attach Ragnar to a unit of blood claws, does this rule merely add 3 bonus attacks to the unit when launching an assault or is that 3 bonus attacks for each blood claw model?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
It attacks in assault per model, and it's not 3- it's d3, as in you roll a dice and 1-2=1, 3-4=2, and 5-6=3.

Usually it's not worth putting Ragnar with Blood Claws as they get 2 attacks on the charge any way so there's a chance with Ragnar they'd actually be hitting less (because the d3 is instead of the usual attack bonus for charging not as well as).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im assuming the best setup would be ragnar acompanying a unit of 10 wolf guard.

2 attacks standard for the wolf guard each, with insane bravado that adds between 1 and 3 additional attacks on the charge for between 30 and 50 attacks (not including Ragnars attacks). Add in the furious charge rule where the unit gains +1 to initiative as well as +1 strength when charging into close combat. Thats 30-50 attacks at strength 5 and iniative 5. So your likely hitting first, hitting hard, and hitting lots.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ragnar cannot reduce the number of bonus attacks blood claws get.

Q. How does Ragnar Blackmane’s Insane
Bravado bonus interact with Berserk Charge?
A. The unit would gain +D3 Attacks when it
charges, with a minimum of +2 (as this is the
minimum bonus conferred by the Berserk
Charge ability) – these effects do not stack.
However, the effects are reduced in comparison to what they could be on another unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ragnar gives a unit D3 bonus attacks, INSTEAD of the normal +1.
The standard +1 attack is not claimed because a dice is rolled instead of it. So a unit with rag will get a bonus of a min +1 to a max of +3 attacks and thats it. This means an averange of +2 attacks per round. Thats what blood claws do in the first place.
What i am unsure of, is if the D3 deducts the initial +1 bonus attack of the claws. Since ragnar and his unit roll a D3 instead of the normal charge bonus, this leaves the claws only with the second bonus attack, plus the D3 result. Sum it up to an average of +3 attacks (2 min, 4 max).
But even if this isnt the case, i would save those 240 points to add a second claw squad. A common 7 man squad of claws with ragnar, will get:
1 normal attack
+D3 ===> av of +2 by bravado
+2 from bloodclaws berserk
total of 5 attacks, x7 units =35, +7 attacks gained by ragnar (berserk bonus doesnt aply to him)= 42 attacks

a second unit of claws instead of rag would give you 3 attacks per charge
for 14 models (2 sq of 7) this gives = 42 attacks

There are other bonuses as well, but the points difference isnt worth it....my opinion though

·
Registered
232 Posts
Im assuming the best setup would be ragnar acompanying a unit of 10 wolf guard.
Im not sure this is, simply due to the fact that 10 WG and Ragnar is going to be a massive point sink and its way to overkill. If i took ragnar i'd use him alongside Grey Hunters and a wolf guard leader for them with PF, another PF in the GH unit, along with a wolf standard and MotW. This would make for a very killy unit and costs a lot less than the WG unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts