Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I Have some various questions to ask so let me get straight to it.

1. With grey hunters i have on Some of them Boltguns and some of them boltguns and Chainswords but no bolt pistols on any of them. Does it still mean either way i have bolt pistols even without putting them on my grey hunters.

2. Im doing a Space wolves 13Th company what colour are the shoulders?

3. What are the best HQ units to have for space wolves?

4.If i had 10 grey hunters and 1 wolf guard would i have to replace one of the ten with a wolf guard to allow him in?

5. What units would you reccomend for a space wolves army?

All help is appreciated.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
1. Yes... they'd look silly with all three :p Think of them like Chaos Space Marines...

2. That's a good question.... I don't have' the answer

3. Rune Priests are pretty much the cornerstone of all competative Space Wolf builds... thier Living Lightning is a d6 autocannon... but it also depends on the list... Logan is pretty popular (lets you make termies scoring) also I know a guy on here who LOVES Bjorn the Fell handed. I'd shy away from Njial.

4. No you could have 11... But remember you get hosed on dedicated transports with the wolves... and the normal LR is only 10 too....

5. Depends on list... the one "must have" are the Long Fangs. Most folks run them with all ML -- they're a cheaper version of the Dev squad with the ability to split fire.... so they pretty much fill up your heavy slots if your're doing it right :)

·
Registered
13 Posts

All help is appreciated.
Pretty sure you can mix and match with CSM stuff so have a look at what they have to offer... if all else fails Black (colour of the 13th company stone on the SW Grand Annulus

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 13th Company Shoulder paldrons are black on the inside and gray on the armor. You may also choose to put in a color of your own.

I've seen some nice dark reds that look great.

·
Registered
105 Posts

1. With grey hunters i have on Some of them Boltguns and some of them boltguns and Chainswords but no bolt pistols on any of them. Does it still mean either way i have bolt pistols even without putting them on my grey hunters.
no it doesnt really matter its best to do a mix,but there profiles always have bolter,bolt pistol and chainswords

13th company are cool,the best thing to do is when you mix in chaos shoulder pads paint them to a specific chaos chapter.like black legion or night lords
3. What are the best HQ units to have for space wolves?

Rune Priests or Saga of the warrior born wolf lords on thunderwolves

4.If i had 10 grey hunters and 1 wolf guard would i have to replace one of the ten with a wolf guard to allow him in?
no you dont have to but 11 doods cant be transported in a rhino but can be put in a land raider crusader or redeemer

5. What units would you reccomend for a space wolves army?

Grey Hunters in razorbacks or rhinos,thunder wolves,Long Fangs,Rune Priest,Saga of the warrior born Wolf lords on a thunderwolf,fenerisian wolves,wolf guard and wolf scouts.almost everything in the codex is good but what I listed above is what is competitive.I personally like Bjorn the Fell handed and blood claws but that is just me.:blush:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think you've got answers (and sensible ones) on most of the questions, so I'll just say that:-
a) I agree about using Rune Priests to lead the army. At 1750+ I might go 2 HQ choices and take a Wolf Lord as a second HQ choice.
b) My favourite unit is Grey Hunters (buffed with a Wolf Guard to lead them, a Wolf Standard, a melta gun and, if you have spare points,a PW and Mark of the Wulfen). Always in a transport.
c) Most other stuff is good. I've not tried the Thunderwolf Cavalry yet, but the Dreads and Long Fangs look good value. I think the consensus on the Long Fangs is either go all ML or to go 3ML and 2 Lascannon. Both weapons have a 48" reach and that's the critical bit - don't mix in shorter ranged weapons. SW Dreads are now the only ones that come with an Assault Cannon at 105 points.
d) the only unit I would pass on are the Blood Claws. Don't see the point of them.

Regards
TT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts