Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just wanted to show some of the models in my SW's army and ask for some help/advice.

This is actually my second SW's army and I decided to head away from Ragnar's company and opt for Bjorn Stormwolf. I'd already decided upon this before the codex came out, but after I got a copy and read that Bjorn loves vindicators and bikes, I knew I'd made the right choice :)

Ok, first up, the guy on the rock is my interpretation of Bjorn, I imagine him yelling out commands, flanked by a pair of vindicators booming away. The other lord model is based on a black templar sword brethren model I had. I'd already done this conversion and painted it up, but when the new box sets were released I basically stripped it and redid. It's probably my favourite model overall.
View attachment 7869

Ok, these are my Lone Wolf (I love chain axes and intend to fit out a whole squad of sky claws with them), the other is probably my favourite wolf guard terminator. so far...
View attachment 7870

Last, these are a couple of my wolf guard leaders. I've got quite a few as I started doing one for each squad (I've done three squads of grey hunters and am finishing off two 15 man blood claws as we speak).
You can't really see on these pics but I have used a purple spot colour on things like gems and weapons on all of my wolf guard to mark them out from the packs.
View attachment 7871

Comments welcome.

The advice I need really is how do I do eyes. I've been painting GW minis for 15 years and every time I attempt it (about once every 2 years I reckon), I ruin my model. any advice would be great.

Rev

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have an army painter insane detail brush specifically for them, just black in the eye, do a dot of white then dot in the pupil.
nice minis, love the sword bretheren conversion

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Those are some seriously good models. Makes me feel all inadequate about my puppies.

As to the eyes, I have a really fine felt tipped pen, and use that on them after painting them white. Just a small dot with the pen does the job. If you don't do it right the model can end up cross eyed, but it's easier to fix than if you used paint.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Micron Pens, they have very small sizes and some different colors to chose from

·
Registered
35 Posts
the way i paint my eyes in my minis is..

paint the skin as per normal (i usually do a heavy wash of a dark brown color of some sorts over the entire face)...make sure to leave the eye sockets the base or wash color...after highlighting is done and such...flood the eye sockets with a mix of brown ink + chaos black (more brown ink than black...black will darken the brown considerably with very small amounts...the key here is to keep the wash SUPER thin...add water and do 2 washes if you like)...take your detail brush or fine detail brush (i personally hate fine detail brushes...i do everything on my models iwth the normal detail brush) and get it nice and wet...get a dab of skull white on the brush...put it on your mixing palette and get the water mixed in with the white as best as possile...again...KEEP IT THIN!!! you dont want to gum up your eye sockets...rinse your brush...get it to a fine point after rinsing it (i usually do this by licking my brush)...dab a fine amount of white on to the brush...now very gently brush fine lines of white onto the eye ball of the model...if you make a mistake...no problem...mix up some more of that thinned out brown ink and black and just correct the outsides of the lids

personally for space wolves i like giving them blue eyes...so i use either ultramarine blue or enchanted blue (not sure if this exists anymore...most of my color names in my head still exist from 1st and 2nd edition GW paints...yes im old)...both photos used my above technique...i realize on newer GW models the eyes are much harder to paint because theyre smaller and cast in plastic (instead of godlike metals)...but if you keep your paints nice and thin in the eye sockets...youll have a MUCH easier time...especially if you make a mistake

heres a few examples of my minis...

the pic on the left is from my playing army...the pic on the right is a leman russ i painted when i was 14-15 (that was almost 14 years ago)...his banner pole fell off and i cant seem to figure out where i put the damn thing...ive still got it though

(after posting the pics i just realized i dont have SQUAT for facial shots for examples...ill try to charge my digicam and take some macro shots of my marines faces for you)

and just as an example of how far water can help your paints and such...below is an example of my shading with white on space wolf armor with the same method i listed above (its one of my old competition peices from a few years ago for a local painting contest)...water keeps EVERYTHING smooth and easy to work with (especially if you make a mistake on plastic models...like in eyes socket areas) :)

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mate, thanks for the advice. I just converted some wolfguard terminators so will post some pics of the result when they're done. Great advice.
Also, I love your painting, it makes me feel like I should raise my game now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts