Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, so I’m new to the game (after playing when I was 10 like 6 years ago) I have looked around the army options and first wanted to start with space marines to get an easy start but I hated how I would waste 4 bolters with one heavy weapon so I looked else ware, while I didn’t want a complexly assault army I found a great army in space wolves due to their ability to shoot and assault really well as having a great selection of units and upgrades and the ever present rune priest as well as many options just available to space wolves with very little drawbacks in return (plus I don’t add to the hoards of people playing vanilla space marines). So anyways here is my list, its based on the ability to be dynamic and be able to change depending on the army I’m facing (as space wolves have the great ability of both great shooting and assault abilities as they have both bolter and a bolt pistol / cc wep. Anyways too much talking (trust me you will see a lot of text here) here we go:

HQ:
Rune priest
Chooser of the slain
Wolf tail tally
Living lightning
Murderous Huricane
Saga of the beast slayer
Total: 125

The main leader of my army ready to sit back with the long fangs and support the team, living lightning goes well with missiles as its only 1 less strength for light vehicles like those pesky rhinos. The murderous hurricane means I can slow down units coming towards my long fangs to lock them into the assault, the dangerous terrain means the unit has a 1 in 6 chance of wounding each model if they move next turn (which either way if they move or not works fine with me), the difficult terrain means the units have to roll to move which is obvious but also means unless they have assault grenades they are going last to my long fangs if they do manage to get through (lets all laugh at the nids). Also the damage caused by itself can be impressive and cause serious damage to hoards with a possible 18 hits (no need to roll to hit) sounding very fun indeed. Saga of the beast slayer is my dreadnought and mc killer he shots living lightning and hits on a 2+ with the +1 BS from Chooser of the slain re-rolled means I’m getting a good chance of getting 1 or 2 penetrating hits a turn on a dreadnought plus with another 2 or so long fangs shooting krak grenades it shouldn’t stand much of a chance (I hope).

Wolf Priest
Runic armour, Melta bombs

I love the idea of a wolf priest not only conferring fearless to his unit (along with leadership 10) and also having nearly all the advantages of terminator armour (2+ save and 4+ Invul save) without the downsides (no extra room taken up in transports and the ability to make a sweeping advance) along with a cool ability in oath of war with the ability to pretty much make my grey hunters into killing machines able to rip into infantry with ease of re-rolls, while this would work better with blood claws I want an army that can still shot effectively when needed.

Grey Hunters (8) Melta gun, Wolf Standard, Mark of wulfen, Powerfist
Wolf Guard (Lead) Combi melta, Power fist
Rhino
Total: 263

Grey Hunters (9) Melta gun, Wolf Standard, Mark of wulfen, Powerfist
Rhino
Total: 278

This set up is pretty simple, drive up with rhinos and pop smoke on the fist turn second turn drive up, get out and rapid fire bolters or take a pot shot at armour, then assault the following turn (or if it is clear the enemy will assault I will be inclined to enjoy another round on shooting instead. The 8 grey hunter squad is for the wolf priest which should seriously enjoy re-rolling its 5 power fist attacks along with its 25 normal attacks (assuming an average 3 on the die for mark of the wulfen) and 4 power weapon attacks (all on the charge).

Long Fangs (6) Missile launcher X 5
Wolf Guard (Lead) Terminator armour + Storm bolter + Power sword + Cyclone Missile launcher + Melta bombs
Total: 208

A clear choice for an army with no range over 24" they allow both hoard control and tank busting long range, the wolf guard in terminator armour makes sense even if it seems expensive (63 points for him) as he is only 13 points more than two long fangs with missile launchers (which he puts the same amount of rockets out) and for those 13 points you get the armour save for 2+ to take those 3 ap hits, a 4+ invul save, a storm bolter to ward off nearby assaulters trapped by murderous hurricane along with 2 power weapon attacks if need be if the unit is assaulted. I really like the idea of this unit as bets the main weaknesses of the devastator squad but not only being about to put out more shots (or drop the terminator and be cheaper by 10 points with the extra missile launcher man I mean err... wolf). But the main thing that makes this unit great is that they have ways to prevent the assault (see rune priest) and even if they do get in the assault they have advantages from terminator armour, hitting first due to difficult terrain affects as well as power attacks and of course counter attack is also useful.

Total: 999

When I wanna get to 1500 I will prob add some melta flamer land speeders, a squad of 5 grey hunters and a predator with autocannon and heavy bolters, any suggestions on this will also be appeciated.

Feel free to make some changes, I haven’t bought any models yet so feel free to offer changes in the models as well as options.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
324 Posts
it looks quite good, your reasoning for the rune priest, hunters, and fangs is spot on. what I don't like in your list is the Wolf Priest. The wolf priest may seem ok in a bubble, but when you see that he costs roughly the same as a rune priest, there is no comparison. The rune priest gives your whole army a lot more support than the priest. Also fearless isn't that awesome, your wolves have ATSKNF so breaking isn't as horrible as in other armies. Furthermore, with Ld 10 you have a good chance of staying in. The problem with fearless is if you lose combat you have to take no retreat wounds and that hurts a lot.

That being said, I think 1 HQ is enough for 1000 points but if you want to have 2 I'd go with a second Rune Priest. Otherwise, turning your long fangs into 2 units of 4/5 and giving the TDA Wolf guard to one and the RP to the other is a good alternative which will give you slightly more suppression fire and more target saturation.

about your plans to 1500, I like melta/flamer land speeders quite a bit. The issue is that if you want TWC they compete for the slot, but I've managed to include both.

The dakka pred is not a favourite of mine; yes, it's cheap and cheerful and puts out a bunch of medium strength shots, but as with all combat tanks, it's better to have 2 or 3 than just one, and long fangs are just too nice to pass up. Expanding to 1500 I'd just add more ML long fangs. More versatile than the pred (even though they're static you can most times position them so they have clear firing lanes all game and the pred can't move if you want to shoot everything).

About the 5 grey hunters: I've been testing a 1500 point list which had 2 squads of 10 hunters in rhinos and a 5 man hunter squad in a lasplas razorback to hang back and capture home objective while pewing. I found that having just one razorback wasn't enough to make it cost efficient, and having just a 5 man unit wasn't enough to do anything other than sit at home objective and go to ground. I decided to replace it with a third 10 man unit in a rhino which again gives more options, since all 3 rhinos can go forward if needed, and one of them can hang back for home objective if that's what I have to do. So I'd try as hard as possible to make the 3rd hunter squad as similar to the other 2 as possible, which will make target selection for your opponent harder and provide you with more versatility on the table.

All in all though, I think you're definitely in the right track.

hope that helps,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot! From what I hve read (can't remember where) space wolves have to take a HQ choice every 750 points however I could be mistaken, assuming I'm right (doens't happen too often) just one question what powers do you recommend for the second RP? I was thinking Jaws of the wild wolf and maybe fury of the wolf spirits? (I like the MEQ aspect of wolf spirits but I especially like the jaws of the wild wolf's ability to pick out HQ choices.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I would remove the wolf guard and give the LF squad a lasplas razor. I like this though.

Edit: I meant wolf priest.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
In the previous codex, the Space Wolves were required to take an HQ for every 750 points, but in this edition that requirement is lifted. You are allowed to take up to two HQ choices for every one HQ slot, but at any time are only required on mandatory HQ unit to make the force legal.

HQ:
Rune priest
Chooser of the slain
Wolf tail tally
Living lightning
Murderous Huricane
Saga of the beast slayer
I would actually suggest dropping the saga from this guy; while its great to have that reroll your getting it against enemies with high toughness or armour values while hitting with a relatively low strength.

Save yourself the points for elsewhere, and if you can find someone give this saga to a model hitting with a higher strength.

Wolf Priest
Runic armour, Melta bombs
Here I'd say lose the runic armour; try to fit some things in elsewhere for the list and then if you have the points come back to this. Its a decent upgrade for him, but he will be in a unit that will be soaking up the bulk of the wounds and most attacks gunning for him will likely be ones that deny armour anyway.

Grey Hunters (8) Melta gun, Wolf Standard, Mark of wulfen, Powerfist
Rhino
Total: 263
Right so a wolf guard with combi weapon and fist runs you 43, the pack and rhino runs you 210, unless I missed something your paying ten points more than you should be.

For this unit I would advise against the powerfist on the grey hunter; he costs more than the wolf guard with fist and offers you fewer attacks. Instead I would suggest a power weapon, saving you a few more points for this pack to potentially seek upgrades elsewhere.

Grey Hunters (9) Melta gun, Wolf Standard, Mark of wulfen, Powerfist
Rhino
Total: 278
Once again, ten points to many on this squad unless I have missed something somewhere. Once again I suggest a power weapon over that fist for a further reduction in points.

Between these two units, are you counting the wolf guard as the eighth and ninth members of the pack? Or are they the ninth and tenth members of packs? If its the first, then you may be paying even more for each squad then you should be, and if its the second then how did you plan on transporting your HQ's what with the ten man limit to rhino capacity?

Wolf Guard (Lead) Terminator armour + Storm bolter + Power sword + Cyclone Missile launcher + Melta bombs
Total: 208
Like the setup of these long fangs, but at three wolf guard you are not allowed to take the cyclone missile launcher. Their entry specifically states you can take one of those weapons if the wolf guard number five.

As a note, terminator armour comes standard with the storm bolter and power weapon so there is no need to list them as upgrades. It can cause some slight confusion for people who feel the need to comment though they may not have the codex to do so properly.

Right, well with all of the stuff I've suggested altering or dropping you are left with seventy points, assuming you want to keep the cyclone then you need two more wolf guard. With the remaining points, consider giving them a rhino to give your army yet another piece of armour to make use of.

If you do drop one of your HQ's though, I'd advise using those points to bulk up the wolf guard pair I just suggested. That or get the long fangs a lascannon toting razorback to make them able to fire on three targets in a given turn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help so far guys I got a new list based on what 43 and darkreever have said:

Rune priest
Chooser of the slain
Wolf tail tally
Living lightning
Murderous Huricane
Total: 115

Grey Hunters (9) Melta gun, Wolf Standard, Mark of wulfen, Power wep
Rhino
Total: 258

Grey Hunters (9) Melta gun, Wolf Standard, Mark of wulfen, Power wep
Rhino
Total: 258

To answer your question darkreever both my grey hunter squads before had 10 men (one had 8 grey hunters plus wolf guard plus wolf priest, the other the same without the wolf priest). Sorry this was not clear

(Rune priest goes here)
Total: 130 Points

Razorback Lascannon, TL Plasmagun
Wolf guard in terminator armour
Total: 238 Points

Total: 999

Just thought the extra long range fire power would be good, I decided to get rid of wolf priest only had him in there as I thought I had to (he did however have some great points but I see the appeal of other options). The wolf guard with the long fangs is pretty much forced as I gotta take 3 anyways and the terminator armour means the near exact 999 points in achieved. I'm considering a 5 man squad of grey hunters instead of long fang squad 1 but as 43 said they don't work too great (only thing is I gotta waste so many points keeping a home objective).

Any other options feel free to share =D

EDIT:
The other option is to remove the first long fang squad and the terminator from the second group (moving the rune priest o the second one) to have 173 points free, then add a Squad of 5 grey hunters with melta and Standard lead by a wolf guard with power fist and combi melta with a razorback for camping my home point.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It looks nice now. Just a few pieces of advice:
- keep in mind that your 2 scoring units are your killy as well (it's hard to avoid that at such a low point level).
- Make sure you position your long fangs unit well and use them to supress enemy mech until your hunters can melta them. Many times it's better to have 2 enemy vehicles that can't move or shoot for a turn than have one destroyed and the other one firing back at you.
- 10 S8 shots and d6 s7 will hurt at this point level. It's also nice that your fangs aren't a pushover so they'll either be let to shoot all game or will divert fire from the rest.
- Don't be afraid of sacrificing the razorback. Use it either to give cover to the fangs or to give mobile cover to the rhinos (make a choo choo train) if you have to catch something horribly shooty like tau or IG.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I like it. I would take away the term armor but I like it.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
You may want to switch the loadout for your Wolf Guard to the Power Fist and give the guy in the squad the powerweapon... that way you'll have 2 fist attacks instead (I think only having one will hurt you vs dreads and stuff)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts