Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this has been bugging me for a couple of days, no matter where I look I cant find anything about it.

What is the make up of an Imperial crew and crew areas, military or trade. I know that at least some have tech priests in charge of some techy stuff. I know that the reactors are crewed by slaves, ok are these mostly prisoners or most of them just some unlucky bastard that got shanghaied. What about medical staff, food staff, and combat staff, I know that the gun decks on some ships have slave crews.

Ok now what about housing these people. In Fulgrim (HH) there was a bar in the ship, is this common? Are there mess halls, I mean people have to eat. Are the slave crews housed separately? Is there a medbay, in one of the soul drinker books there was a medship that was part of the space hulk, I cant imagine having to send someone to a medship just for a minor energy, one that still is sever enough to require medical attention.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The thing to remember about 40k ships is that they are huge. A frigate is 1.5 km long and has a crew of thousands - the bigger ships are almost a small nation in space.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Get the book 'Relentless' by Richard Williams. It will give you a good insight into warships in 40k. Not a battlebarge or marine ship, but an imperial navy Frigate.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so do Imperial ships produce their own food, I know air and water is recycled, but if food is supplied how long can a ship go without the needing to be supplied and what about fuel, I know most vehicles run off of Promethean(?)?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If the Imperial Navy ships are so large, I'd imagine they'd be like the USG Ishimura from Dead Space 1. It has a large 'green house' facility that uses technology called hydroponics, which is basically growing plants and food without soil. In Dead Space the Ishimura was huge, but maybe not 1.5 Km long, so I'd make an educated guess to say that the Imperial Navy can grow it's own food.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If the Imperial Navy ships are so large, I'd imagine they'd be like the USG Ishimura from Dead Space 1. It has a large 'green house' facility that uses technology called hydroponics, which is basically growing plants and food without soil. In Dead Space the Ishimura was huge, but maybe not 1.5 Km long, so I'd make an educated guess to say that the Imperial Navy can grow it's own food.
Or what about some kind of fungus/vat grown food, they do have vat grown flesh/ people, so it would be hard to imagine growing food instead of a person. Enjoy your fungus Burger/"Grox" burger/"Fruot". Dead space tech is a little closer to ours, MEs would be a little bit higher than Dead Space, there's been mention in ME about food vat tech.

P.S. The ishimura was 1.6 Km long. But only had 1k crew. Scary thought Necromorph SM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts