Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
exactly as title says

why exactly did space marines stop using auto cannons as a heavy weapon after the heresy?

other then GW wanting to make them different from chaos a bit more.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
I always imagined the Marines became enamoured of the Assault Cannon and it's rate of fire, and phased out the Autocannon or relegated it to being carried by Dreadnoughts (The dreads having probably used autocannons in their time as a living, breathing marine and keeping the gun as a preferred weapon).

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I would agree that the Assault Cannon has phased it out. Chaos updated their Autocannons but the Imperium re-worked them. Though there is the gaping hole of Dreads and Preds. Perhaps these are older models still in service, while other load-outs are on newer vehicles.

My wondering is why the Imperium switched from Combi-bolters to Stormbolters. The former is a superior weapon in my opinion.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
In the night lords books the assault cannon is described as an update to the autocannon. It didn't just get used in preference it actively replaced it. As to why dreads and preds still have autocannons its harder to say: for preds I expect because its STC and they don't want to change it while on dreads I recon its because they can handle the heavier firepower of the twin autos (not asssault cannons..?) and its already got a similar level of firepower (which in game is arguably slightly higher).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My wondering is why the Imperium switched from Combi-bolters to Stormbolters. The former is a superior weapon in my opinion.
The Storm Bolter is an Assault weapon and has a higher fire-rate at longer ranges, both of which likely indicate that it is capable of a higher firing rate, or is otherwise easier to aim and fire on the move. While the combi-bolter is more accurate at close range the greater maneuverability, especially as a close-quarters gun, of the Storm Bolter make it more useful for Terminators.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
In the novels, they're honestly not too different; Uzas says in Soul Hunter that Abaddon's Talon of Horus houses a Storm Bolter, and I believe Void Stalker uses the words interchangeably. I know that the Combi-Bolter was an accidental creation when trying to perfect the Combi-Weapon tech (the pinnacle of which was Captain Agemman's Plasma Blaster, at least in my knowledge), but apart from that I couldn't tell you the difference - they're both two Bolters stuck together.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
In the novels, they're honestly not too different; Uzas says in Soul Hunter that Abaddon's Talon of Horus houses a Storm Bolter, and I believe Void Stalker uses the words interchangeably. I know that the Combi-Bolter was an accidental creation when trying to perfect the Combi-Weapon tech (the pinnacle of which was Captain Agemman's Plasma Blaster, at least in my knowledge), but apart from that I couldn't tell you the difference - they're both two Bolters stuck together.

Midnight
The difference is that Combi-bolters are two bolters stuck together whilst storm bolters are two bolters designed to be stuck together. A storm bolter is one unit, with one housing. It just has two muzzles. A combi-bolter is two bolters sitting side by side with two separate magazines or belt feeds. So the stormbolter gives a better performance.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I guess I just prefer twin-linked weapons.

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts

GW Y U DO DIS?

In all seriousness, I recall reading about the Lasburst Twin Lasgun in Dark Heresy: Inquisitor's Handbook. I'm not sure it belongs in the same category as combi-weapons, since it does not have the twin-linked rule ingame, but it is said to be millennia old and its design was never perfected "as other patterns soon superseded the Lasburst's unreilable nature" (pg. 173). Perhaps the design and proliferation of the Storm Bolter came about as a desire to dodge this sort of problem with the combi-bolter, but that's pure speculation on my part.

As for the autocannon, like others have said, the assault cannon looks to have superseded it on account of its being able to kill heavy infantry/light vehicles more effectively, at least in the case of Terminators. As far as Devastators go, the plasma cannon similarly is able to perform it's job, though there is of course the concern of overheating. The Autocannon's presence on Dreadnoughts can, like others have said, be chalked up to personal preference.

As it happens, the Deimos-Pattern Predator Executioner, now almost lost ever since the Great Crusade and being armed with a Plasma Destroyer, could technically kill heavy infantry and light vehicles with even greater efficieny, although again at the expense of range. Modern-day Chapters are probably going with the next best thing with the comparatively more commonplace Predator Destructor and its autocannon.

All this said, this does not count other explanations for the lack of autocannons in modern-day Space Marine chapters, and a lot of it is speculation on my part.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
In the night lords books the assault cannon is described as an update to the autocannon. It didn't just get used in preference it actively replaced it. As to why dreads and preds still have autocannons its harder to say: for preds I expect because its STC and they don't want to change it while on dreads I recon its because they can handle the heavier firepower of the twin autos (not asssault cannons..?) and its already got a similar level of firepower (which in game is arguably slightly higher).
HH) Betrayal has Predators with a Predator Cannon; it has a Faster rate of fire (Heavy 4), is stronger than an assault cannon, and doesn't jam.

At the time of HH Betrayal, there were early assault cannons present; the Kheres was a supersized one only available to a Contemptor, and they were experimenting with smaller ones; Rotor Cannons they were called, but they were little more than mini-guns; useable by standard marines, admittedly, but severely lacking in power. While that sounds "good", that they're running around with a 7.62 Minigun, they are regardless outshone by Bolters and Heavy Bolters.

They were eventually replaced with Assault Cannons which were useable by Terminators and Dreadnoughts.

Truth be told, for me, there is no "Codex: Space marines" for me any more. There is only "Horus Heresy: Betrayal".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts