Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
including scouts instead of another 10 man squad of marines really frees me up for options, giving me 115 points to spend on something else.
I'll read more about the librarian, and maybe order one... force weapons rock ;D
115 points... as a transport for my scouts, would a razorback (heavy bolter twinlinked) or a land-speeder storm (with multi-melta) be good, or should I pick my whirlwind or get a dakka predator?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Whirlwind. defo.

Anyway when targeting certain uits choose the larger ranged ones first. The number of times my eldar dark reapers are overlooked over the big target (the shiny near indestructible falcon that harbours fire dragons) and then the exarch kills about those 8 assault marines or tose 7 devastators before the rest fire then my opponent has lost his major attack force for dealing with them leaves them free to shoot.

Concerning librarians. They do not always work since some players (like me) prefer to be very unorthodox and not bring a farseer just so a autarch or phoenix lord can laugh his head off before chopping his head off (I use a fuegan).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's why you have a captain ready to go as a back-up plan if he isn't being used.
Captain vs Librarian:

Captain has: 1 more wound, 1 more BS, 1 more WS, 1 more I, and 1 more attack than a librarian has. Wargear: Iron Halo (4+ invuln Save), Frag/Krak 'nades, chainsword/bolt pistol.

Librarian has: 2 free powers, Wargear: Psychic Hood (Negate Psychic Powers) Free Force Weapon (Power Weapon with possibility of instant death), Frag/Krak 'nades, bolt pistol.

Both are 100 points, without any upgrades, and come as shown above.
I would've chosen the captain, but what do you guys think, and why?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
For Eldar players, the Farseer functions as the brain of the army, sending instructions to the muscles and helping it to apply the correct amount of force to objects in its way (your units).

How would you like to fight someone whose brain only functions correctly half the time? That's what your Librarian does. That's why you should take him.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Yeah would agree with that. Only nutcase players like myself like to trick every marine player and not use the farseer they have prepared for. Fuegan has the last laugh. Always.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As a new Eldar player myself, let me just give you this old adage "just because it looks good on paper..." The Eldar read like they would be excellent in any situation, the thing is they are a very finesse army due to the highly specialized nature of the aspects. SM are so much more flexible. As you start playing at higher point levels you will see how his aspect warriors will drop like flys and your marines will still be standing...

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
A good Eldar plan will be more complex than other armies. They also often rely on one particular unit to do its job so they do not adjust well on the fly. Take out one specific unit and they will suffer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A space marine is good in combat and good in shoting, any particlar Eldar trooper will be goood in one. Figuring out your army will take time, minor tweeks will be made over and over again. The truth is you need to change things up, in my old group I used to wax the floor with everyone I played, because they we all so predictable. One guy always fielded a trooper army, another guy always armor and so on. Try different things out, this way your opponenet will not be able to customize his army to beat yours.

Personally I never liked putting a HW in a tactical squad, tactical marines are for movement and redeployment. A HW is useless for being on the move.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get some bikers to surround his force and keep locked down so you can tighten a nouse around him,the Eldar are the most manouverable race around,so strip that of them and there toughness and armour saves arn't going to be and use when they start to get ripped up by massed boltor fire.
You could try it with land speeders equipped with assult cannons as well as they could damage the lightly armoured vehicles and infantry alike whilst being very quick as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I feel guilty telling you this as an eldar player, but here goes. An eldar player's shooty units will out shoot a marine. An eldar players assault units will out fight a marine. The trick to beating them is to shoot their assault units and assault (or use flamers on) their shooty units. This all seems simple, but the eldar are the most mobile army in the game this side of Dark Eldar. So take out or imobilize his vehicles early with long range fire power then pick your fights wisley and you have him.

Oh and for the love of god take a librarian, use the hood (and not the other powers as a good eldar player will always have warding). And dont get charged by Banshees.

And try to get your victories in before your oponent learns/reads about the seer council or scatter laser spam.

peace

·
Registered
268 Posts
hi, i go up against Eldar quite a bit myself actually. i can take out his wraithlord with one man(takes a lot of turns though!)! Best to use suppresing fire from units such as sternguard and tactical marines and then counter assault the weakened forces with dreads, assault marines or vanguards!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts